Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

if you find yourself in Vegas......

bassaddik

...make sure you stop by the Bellagio and check out Morrie Louden and Mike Ekchroft ( sp?)

they are stuck awy in a corner of one of the lounges there, but man, are they burning!!

Mike is a wonderful pianist who never ceases to amaze me- he was the keyboardist with the Sheena Easton show, but left to play more fulfilling music.. and he is! Mike is a jazz monster, but he also plays ridiculous Latin . he has studied with some heavies in Cuba, he is just an amazing player..

and Morrie Louden??

ok, i challenge you to find a better upright bassist.. he is simply off the hook-

i sat mesmerized that someone can play like this on an upright. His technique is outstanding, his intonation immaculate - and great feel- oh, and TONE!!! you just gotta check out Vegas' best kept secret- just the two of them ( drummer? they dont need no stinking drummer!!)

really, for the price of a couple of cocktails , you get the finest musical content i have found in the "Entertainment Capital of the World" -

Morrie owns a recording studio, but alas, no cd yet.. he really needs to be discovered and pulled out of here. I really have heard a lot of very impressive UB players and can honestly say they have nothing on Morrie- so if you come to Vegas, don't miss these guys, your jaw will hit the floor!! - stay low.. Adrian

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to be honest- i came here with the best gig of my life- it lasted 20 months and now im banging around freelancing and its getting old. Vegas can be pretty jive. But there are some juicy gigs out there- its just a matter of getting to the auditions and landing them. lately everything is locked up- ive only been here 3 years, but i hear from everyone how this is the worst its ever been. For local players, anyway.

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Are you not "sunshine-ing" it these days?

I heard a blurb on the radio...they are coming to Dallas...

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

?4?p| Sunshined in over 3 years!!

did a production show called STORM at Mandalay Bay for 20 months- sweetest gig ever! doing the freelance thing- it sucks! J/K it keeps me on my toes- for example this wed im playing EUB in a jazz trio setting- fri and sat i play in a traditional Salsa band- Sunday Im subbing for a cat in a Prince tribute band- variety baby! :rolleyes::D

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Adrian, it's slow all over not just there. My gigs coming up this week are all different as well. I just played a gig with a Fleetwood Mac tribute band, my next gig is jazz with the bass band and then a gig with Lady Bo doing the R&B thing. It does keep one on their toes and does stay interesting. At least we don't get bored.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by bassaddik:

Wally- a gig is a gig, right??! i thank God for each and every one!

Like you, I did a steady show, one year in San Jose and three years in San Francisco. The only other band work I did at the time were the Lady Bo gigs. Near the end of that run the bass band was getting started. I really enjoy all the gigs I play and enjoy each style for what it is. I'm fortunate that all the people I play with our good musicians and on top of that "professionals".

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Yeah, Adrian, it may be bad in Vegas, but it is a lot worse here. The pay sucks, unless you are doing a private party or a wedding. The only plus is that sometimes the band are so good that it makes you forget about the last 10 crap gigs or the low pay.

Besides, you haven't mentioned working for an Elvis impersonator yet.

well- lets se , some of the "faux" stars i have played behind.

Frank Sinatra

Elvis

Cher'

Rod Stewart

Gloria Estefan ( I also played with the real one for a couple of gigs before she became a star)

Righteous Brothers

Neil Diamond

Tina Turner

Ricky Martin

of course, these were all impersonators

but then , i have been accused of impersonating a bass player!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

:D -

hey, at least i DID get to play a song with the REAL Wayne Newton!!!!! at a USO Concert.

by the way, thanks gain for the present!

INVALUABLE!!!!!

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived