Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One venue, one show, one band. You're the bassist...

LaCosaNostradamus

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Victor Wooten from the Flecktones, even though I don't funk with slap and pop.

I think that Dream Theater's bass chair might be a little closer to my style but for prog, I'd love to sit in with Detroit's own Tiles .

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Well, this is assuming that I could play the set of the person I replace and not look like an ass......

The answer may be different next week, but as of tonight, I'd want to be Jimmy Haslip at any Yellowjackets gig.

i actully once had a dream that i was the bassist on a Frank Zappa gig- and i pulled it off! Frnak loved me!--

another would have to be either Miles Davis or Weather Report- anywhere is fine!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

My favorite band is Chevelle, and I would totally stand in for Joe Loeffler. The thing is, I think I could, too--the parts are not that complex. I thought about starting a thread about "bands you like but not because of bass..." and for me, Chevelle is definitely one of them.

Not that Joe is bad, but he is clearly more of a foundation without much flash. When I list off what I like about Chevelle, all the elements of the band get listed off except for bass (i.e., guitar, vocals, drums, and songwriting). The bass is just there, and has never jumped out at me as "that's a cool bass line, and he is a really good bassist".

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

I thought about starting a thread about "bands you like but not because of bass..."

That's exactly where I am with U2. Blood Red Sky is my favorite live rock video, partially because of the atmosphere, and of course the music. Clayton's no virtuoso, either- sitting in for him wouldn't be a problem.

The gig I would like to have been on was The Concert in Central Park by Simon and Garfunkel. It was a great concert in a great location with a great audience. The show felt intimate even though the crowd was huge. Simon's songs are all classics. And the band was great. Not only that, but the concert is shown all the time on PBS television, so I'd get to be seen on tv several times a year. And now it's available in dvd.

I'm sure that Anthony Jackson wouldn't have minded me taking his place.

This is who was in the band:

Art Garfunkel - Vocals, Producer

Paul Simon - Guitar, Vocals, Producer

Rob Mounsey - Synthesizer

Grady Tate - Drums

Pete Carr - Guitar

John Eckert - Trumpet

Steve Gadd - Drums

John Gatchell - Trumpet

Roy Halee - Producer, Engineer

Anthony Jackson - Bass

Gerry Niewood - Saxophone

Phil Ramone - Producer

Richard Tee - Keyboards

David Tofani - Saxophone

Dave Brown - Guitar

Art Garfunkel - Vocals, Producer

Paul Simon - Guitar, Vocals, Producer

Rob Mounsey - Synthesizer

Grady Tate - Drums

Pete Carr - Guitar

John Eckert - Trumpet

Steve Gadd - Drums

John Gatchell - Trumpet

Roy Halee - Producer, Engineer

Anthony Jackson - Bass

Gerry Niewood - Saxophone

Phil Ramone - Producer

Richard Tee - Keyboards

David Tofani - Saxophone

Dave Brown - Guitar

What a bunch of hacks!!! :D

Originally posted by Gogrick:

Lately I'm on a nostalgia trip with Boston. I always loved the bass on their albums. I'd get laughed off the stage, but you asked. :D

i got to meet and hang with Tom Scholtz a little in Miami when i lived there- he was dating my ex-wife's best friend, he used to fly his little twin prop plane down to visit her.. he was really cool and down to earth-

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Originally posted by bassaddik:

Originally posted by Gogrick:

Lately I'm on a nostalgia trip with Boston. I always loved the bass on their albums. I'd get laughed off the stage, but you asked. :D

i got to meet and hang with Tom Scholtz a little in Miami when i lived there- he was dating my ex-wife's best friend, he used to fly his little twin prop plane down to visit her.. he was really cool and down to earth-
That's very cool Bassaddik! I've read similar things about him, aside from being a supra-genius he also was involved in several worthwhile causes. You have to admire a guy that has intellect and talent out the wazoo but can still keep the ego in check.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

for her birthday- he gave his girlfriend a new Toyota Forerunner ( sp?) - when i asked what he drove , he said " a Camry, it starts every morning" he would wer cutoff shorts and t shirts, very unassuming- in fact, i should look him up, Boston is playing in Vegas in the next couple of weeks--

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

...and Jethro Tull is the only thing besides cockroaches that will certainly survive nuclear holocaust.

Jeremy--GREAT call on the Simon/Garfunkel gig. (I've been a huge fan of theirs all my life--since I was about 4, I think.) In a cross between your dream-gig & Adrian's, I once had a dream that I got a gig with Paul Simon! :eek: I'd better go practice "Graceland" some more...

When I was overseas last year, I saw ads for Art Garfunkel's tour. I remember thinking, "What lucky devil is playing on that one?" His music is so lush; man, I'd like to be part of that.

I would want to fill in for Entwistle on any Who tour, however, I would be to afraid I would get hit in the head with a microphone. :D
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

shows that i loved --

hum at the fallout shelter in grand rapids, MI, 1996 -- replacing jeff dimpsey would be easy, but man could he write great basslines. he played a sting ray and got about a million sounds from it. not bad for a guy who started on guitar. i love that band and really miss them.

thursday at the intersection in grand rapids, MI, 2003 -- tim writes great basslines, the packed house of a few hundred sang every single word (i was one of them), and the tone of an ampeg SVTPro through an 810 classic coming from a P with duncan quarter pounders. i would also play their may, 2002 Q101 jamboree show in chicago, IL. thier guitar player got hit in the head with a microphone, tripped over a monitor, and fell off a six-foot stage. he got back up and played the rest of the show. it was like the show above, but cold outside and to more people. damn cool.

papa vegas, the intersection in grand rapids, MI, 1997. they recorded their album at a farm/studio in surrey, england, which is outside of london. after it was mixed, they flew home for a homecoming gig in the old intersection location. they played a bunch of really cool new songs. mick force wrote really tasty p-bass lines that i love to play. what a great bass player. all-tube SVT through an 810, powered by an american P. classic tone with powerful, moving lines. truly a great show, with enthusiastic audience and a great band at the top of their game.

failure, the intersection in grand rapids, MI, 1997. this was the first show i went to in the summer of 1997. it was the first time i had even heard of failure, having read about them on hum's web site. on their recommendation i went to the show, and the way i looked at music changed. what an incredible, energetic show. gregg edwards played really thick, fuzzy power chords on his bass, and had a processed tone that was swimming, fat, and defined. incredible. and the crowd was fanatical. at one point a guy yelled out, "i don't give a fuck what you play, just play anything!" they ended their encore set with a cover of depeche mode's "enjoy the silence". if you've heard the recording, it's like that, but more bad ass. this band destroyed their recordings live.

wow. i've gotten progressively more romantic with each show. they were all great.

robb.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

What a bunch of hacks!!! :D

This was the *exact* same response I was going to post. Why does this not surprise me? :D

Hmmm... if I could replace a bassist. I believe I'll go with the 1973 Zappa concert in Helsinki, Finland; otherwise known as "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2". Playing with Weather Report during the "8:30" tour is a very close second.

I'm in a soul mood, so I think I'll take Jerry Jemmott's gig at the Filmore with Aretha Franklin. That way you get to play with Aretha and King Curtis, record two great albums in one night on top of doing two sets with Bernard Purdie.

If we were talking studio gigs, I'll take Jamerson's chair in the Snakepit at Motown.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived