Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Saw Ben Loy last night...

Tom Capasso

I went to Le Bar Bat in NYC last night to see our own BenLoy play with 2 bands!!

First was Mrs Grundy. As some of you know, I've been a big fan since the last time I saw them (which was April 2002). The mainstay is multi-instrumentalist Matt Scharfglass (who has posted as Ben's sub), who is a bassist first (but everything else is close behind). Matt plays lead guitar when Grundy is live, but Ben has to cop the lines that he wrote.

Which he does, with much skill and taste. Our guy Ben didn't miss a thing last night, and sounded great. The sound was marred by an odd room, a soundman that kept turning Matt down (I barely heard any of his leads, so I don't get it) and a substitute drummer that was way loud. Actually Ben was a bit too loud as well. Still, the music rocked, I sang from the audience, Ben threw it down hard, and it was a blast.

The next band was a singer-songwriter named Jeremy. The drummer here is a friend of Ben's and was solid and strong. Ben was great, and I got to witness original music with lines that Ben wrote. The style of the music allowed for melodic basslines and fills (even some above the 12th fret!), and Ben made the most of it. The nature of the music and instrumentation made the sound easier to manage, so it went well and sounded good.

As an aside, I'm too old to be cool. That's not true - I was never cool. When I like something, I'm rockin' and singing. I was the only one.... I couldn't believe how dull folks were during Mrs Grundy (and in general). Oh yeah - they applauded (and even hooted sometimes), but I guess I'm tired of seeing NYC clubs were people aren't "into it". Sign me up as Grundy's geekiest fan.

Some of you don't realize that Sweet Willie has been reading this post waiting to see if I got into NYC early enough to get to a music store. Well Willie - the answer is...

Manny's. I met Matt DaSilva, who (years back) wrote a few articles for BP and works there. I tried a Fodera 4 string (I didn't get the model, but it was a double cutaway standard looking thing). I've said that I never got off on Foderas. This one was nice and smooth, and sounded full and rich. The price tag (4 digits starting with a 4) killed it for me. It wasn't better than a Read Custom I could buy for under 3000. I also tried a Smith 5 neck through. While it played smoothly, it lacked the sound quality that the Fodera had. If you like that mid-strong sound, Smith has it. It's just not my sound. And I tried a Brian Moore. Again - not a brand that I embrace. Too shrill sounding, and my hands just don't love it. Well made with great features, but not for me.

That wraps up this week's gear review. Tune in next time when we hear Tom say "please get that MTD down for me..."

BenLoy - well done !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Da LadY In Tha Pink Dress:

Didn't/Doesn't Matt Scharfglass do all the transcriptions for Guitar World?

Yes, you are correct, sir!

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Some of you don't realize that Sweet Willie has been reading this post waiting to see if I got into NYC early enough to get to a music store. Well Willie - the answer is...

Thomas,

Thank you for humoring me. It is an honor to know that I am in the back of a fellow bass player's mind when he/she is demonstrating GASaholism. :D

You played two basses I probably wouldn't have picked up in your shoes -- the Moore and the Smith. I probably would've tried on the Fodera -- why not?!

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

I went to Le Bar Bat in NYC last night to see our own BenLoy play with 2 bands!!

Thank you for the review. You are a fine supporter of our brethren. :thu: I would love to see Ben Loy perform. Perhaps the next time I make it to NYC he'll have a gig...who knows?

If I can actually get the various fellahs I play with to get it together enough to play a gig, will you come out to Chi-town to support a fellow LDLer? ;)

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Didn't/Doesn't Matt Scharfglass do all the transcriptions for Guitar World?
Yes, you are correct, sir!
Before Matt reads this I'd better set the record straight:

Matt is the assistant music editor at Guitar World. The magazine employs many transcribers, and it's Matt's responsiblity to check their work for accuracy and to write the "How to Play This Month's Songs" column. He also does the occasional transcription (like the shockingly accurate transcription of "Tommy the Cat" that he faxed to me to look over...every ghost note and variation is in there).

Not only would he be embarassed to take credit for the hard work that all the transcribers do, I'm sure he wouldn't want to give his boss any ideas!!!

Many thanks to Tom for the kind words, as always, and for the ride home! :thu:

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Before Matt reads this I'd better set the record straight...

My bad and my apologies :(:o . Thanks, Ben, for clarifying. :thu: I'm just used to seeing that little picture of Matt next to the notes he's written/edited about the transcriptions, so I jumped marvelously to conclusions. :rolleyes:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived