Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

Welcome to the Lowdown everyone!

Glad to "see" so many folks coming out of the woodwork as it were and becoming a part of our wonderful community!

Welcome Welcome Welcome! :D:wave:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey fellow bassists! My name is Mike and I've been a bassist for 18 years now. I've already posted on several topics this past week...but I wanted to make it 'official'! I'm proud to be a part of a killer family of low-enders! ...and another thing that I'm proud of is that I have bought every issue (subscribed for most of the past 15 years) of Bassplayer magazine...including the first two 'special editions'! Bassplayer magazine has always been a valuable resource for me!

Jarrod, 17 years old, from Fort Worth, TX. Been playing upright for, let's see, 6.5 years, elec for either 4 or 5, or possibly 3, I can't remember. My actual lessons have focused mostly on upright playing because there's always an audition for something or another coming up, and I don't have a band or anything like that, and the result of these things is that I kind of suck at the electric bass. But that's okay!

I have an upright bass whose make and year I do not know, but it looks like it's survived a war.

I have a 99 Fender MIM fretless Jazz that I really should get set up, and probably put some better hardware/electronics into. It was my first bass and I refuse to get rid of it, even though I really would like a fretted bass and could probably trade it for one.

I also have an old black Ibanez TR-50 R (P clone) that's on indefinite loan from the lady across the street. The pots are exposed and it buzzes like a swarm of angry bees when you touch anything metal on it, worse if you have the tone pot at any position greater than 0. I don't play it.

I play through a TranZamp B40, a combo by the Genz Benz budget line that I have never seen advertised anywhere ever. It's remarkably unremarkable.

Dave Brown is my private instructor. Hi, Mr. Brown.

Hello,

My name is Jan and i'm a bassplayer from holland.

Been playing bass for about 2 years now and playing guitar for about 11 years (but bass is my main thing now:))

Thank you all for sharing youre knowledge.

Remember: Trying is the first step towards failure (by H. Simpson)

Gee I haven't introduced myself yet...

Hi All, my name is Graham (as you can see). I'll be 53 next month. I'm a practising architect specializing in historic preservation.

Electric bass was the first stringed instrument I learned to play (back in 1967). I've played a variety of instruments in different bands over the years (drums, mandoline, flute, flat-picked and fingerstyle acoustic and electric guitars) but my first love has always been bass. I've played folk, rock and blues but now find myself playing mostly jazz. I still gig whenever I can find the time.

My basses are a 4-string Warwick Streamer, 4-string Fender Precision fretless and a 1950 something Czecheslovakian upright bass. I'll soon be taking delivery of a Dean Bromberg B2 5-string which I can't wait for. (I'll post a review once I've had it for a while... not that many people seem to know it). In addition, I have a couple of guitars including a really nice 1953 model Gibson ES-175.

I'm married with a daughter of 13 and a son of 10. We live in a small town called Darling (not to be confused with its much larger namesake in Australia) about 50 miles outside Cape Town.

My favourite bassists include Joseph Khumalo, Sammy Webber, Vusi Mahlasela, Victor Ntoni, Brian Bromberg, James Jamerson and Stanley Clarke.

This is truly a great forum. Thanks to all who contribute and from whom I've already learned so much in the short time I've been a member.

Nice to see you, herd of angry penguins. Lessee...'round here that will be turned into HOAP, in the same way I'm DBB.

Jarrod didn't tell y'all that last year he was ranked the 16th best high school URB player in the state, qualifying him for one of the Texas All State Orchestras.

As you can tell from his user name, Jarrod has a superb dry wit.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Harvey Gerst:

[QB]

I also designed a lot of the Acoustic Control amplifiers in the late 60s and early 70s, including the Acoustic 360 and 370.

Hi my name is Elwood aka Woody Im a 48y/o Firefighter/EMT I think the Acoustic amps were some of the best in the biz. I was sorry to see them go out of biz. I play an Ibanez BTB405QM bass and use an Acoustic 370 head, with a 301 cab. Most ppl I meet have never heard of Acoustic amps, but then to my amp is older than most of them. Hahhaahahha It is a pleasure, and an honor to meet one of the ppl responsible for IMO two of the best amps ever made. Mr. Gerst I tip my hat to you. :cool:

If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Penguin and Matt

I have a TranzAmp B20 practice amp. It is a heck of a good amp in my opinion. Not too many reviews on the ol' interweb thingy though. I played it one day and bought it on the spot.

Loud enough to keep up with an acoustic guitar or 3. Loud enough to annoy the neighbors. Really nice smooth clear tone. It can handle a low B and really beat the tar out of the Squier practice amp it replaced.

Well, I see it's been over 2 years since I posted on this thread and much has happened, so I thought I'd update a bit, if I may.

Nice to see so many new peeps here.

In the intervening time, I have: Played bass in 2 bands, one where I liked the music but not the people, and one where I liked the people but nothing else;

Played a lot of gigs, some in clubs I never thought I'd play;

Recorded on 3 CDs for other artists;

Played with a band for 40 mins on a live radio broadcast;

Finished the fretless conversion on my other Roadstar II bass (came out pretty well, if I may say);

Acquired a lot of gear (for me), like a bunch of random effects, a Behringer BXT3000 (best head I have that I paid a hundred bucks for), an Avatar 1x12 cab, and my beloved SWR Grand Prix pre amp, which, when combined with my Peavey DPC 750, makes the Avatar smile :) , and the most recent acquisition, a Tascam DP01FX-CD 8 track digital recorder (I still have an Acoustic 370 and a 1x15 EV cab somewhere);

Written a lot of music, but not a lot of lyrics; And met quite a few of the LowDowners, whom, without fail, have been nice, gracious people with impressive skills on da' bass. I have learned much.

I have come to the realization that I am a composer, and not a rock star. I am content.

Thanks to the esteemed Mr. Bill Leigh, I attended Bass Player Live and saw lots and learned more than that. I have heard a lot of good music.

I still read BP regularly, but fondly look back every now and then to the days of gleaning bass content from Guitar Player.

Oh, and I also got a new job, and am on my second cell phone. That's about it. Thanks.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

My name is Nick and I'm 27. I've been playing bass guitar for about 3 years. I've played in 2 rock bands, one of which is going to record a six song ep/demo at the end of this month.

I play a 5 string ESP LTD B-105 bass with DR Hi-Beams fingerstyle through an Ampeg BA-210SP combo amp. I also use a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

It's nice to know that there's forums like these to share/learn from. I'm kicking myself for not picking up the bass sooner, so I'm trying to make up for it by soaking up all the info I can from people/internet/books/videos. I've recently taken up learning sight reading and slapping.

I like when things go boom...

Originally posted by Harvey Gerst:

My name is Harvey Gerst and right now I own a recording studio in North Texas, for about the last 10 years. I'm 66.

I was Director of Electronics at International Music Company in the 80s, where I designed the Charvel and Jackson amplifiers.

I also designed a lot of the Acoustic Control amplifiers in the late 60s and early 70s, including the Acoustic 360 and 370.

Before that, I designed the "F" series of loudspeakers at JBL in the early 60s, including the D140F, probably the first speaker ever designed specifically for bass players.

Bass reproduction has always fascinated me.

Hello Mr.Gerst,

I just wanted to say I admire your work and have used your equipment in the late 60s early 70s.

Peter Montessi

A Designs Audio

www.adesignsaudio.com

Hello to all the new folks!! :wave:

Glad to have you all here, the more the merrier at the Lowdown.

parabola77 - It's great to see someone who's in my general neck o' the woods. Hopefully we'll get the chance to meet in person sometime. If you're ever headin' down this way PM me and let me know, I'll do likewise. :thu:

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Jay, I'm 36 years old, and have been playing for about 20 years. I live in western N.C.

I currently play in two groups; one is a five piece rhythm and blues band and the other is a three piece rock/pop (emphasis on rock). Between the two, I average about 2 or 3 gigs a week plus a full time job. I am very tired. ;)

I currently play a '96 MIA Jazz (my only bass).

I am working on adding to my bass inventory.

Since joining the forum about a month ago, I have become positively addicted to it. If I do not check it out about twice a day, I feel like I am going to miss something important. This is a great site.

Thanks

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I like this thread and was thinking of introducing myself this way last week since I'm new to the site.

My name is Jim Rush. I'm 53 yrs old and began playing guitar around 1966. Took up bass in 1979 because I could relate to blues lines.

I've been in many bands and played throughout Missouri, Illinois and Kansas: blues, rock, R&R, soul, R&B, country, original, and for the last 4 yrs have played every Sunday in our contempory Praise band at church. Playing for God has brought me more joy than anything else I've done.

I play an American Standard Jazz fretless, a MIM Jazz 5 sting, and a P that I put together myself. It has a P body w/ Basslines and a BAII bridge, and a Jazz neck. I have a Mosvalve 500 watt power amp and Blue Tube preamp in a road case. Speakers are EV-M 15's in custom cabs.

Hey Surrock, there are no stupid questions. No matter how good you get you will always be searching for more knowledge.

This is a great forum and there are alot of good people here!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• 1 month later...

Well I´d be a new guy. Unfortunately not in terms of years among the living, as presented in the statistics.

I´ll keep it short. The ones for the longer version, with the nasty details, will get it if they want it.

OK, chronologically and breifly:

Born 1958 in Lahti, Finland

First gui....whatever...arrr: 1968

Maybe in -69 heard this "Last call" played live by "The Amulets" and I wondered what made the ground shake.

Bass it was, so I pulled a few strings from my Japanese Aiwa guit and added a couple of thicker strings, making it a "bass" tuned to a low A.

First band with a gig was "His Royal Highness". We were just learning. (Covers of Uriah Heep. Deep Purple, T-Rex, Slade and some own attempts) I did the bassing and some singing. Hey, one of the members later became one of the original members of "Sleepy Leepers". (Later known as "Leningrad Cowboys")

Then became "The Bilsner Boys" and we began to sound pretty decent. More towards older rock n roll with some own stuff written by the rhythm guitarrist "Lare". I did all the singing an bassing.

I got to mention that I got the singing on me since i had been abroad a few years to an Americen school, and actually could sing in English.

After that i jammed some with Hate Kinnunen, later known in Lapinlahden linnut, Turos Hevygee, etc

Then I moved to Sweden in -76. No bands but I wore out a couple of basses at home and jumped in on a couple of gigs for friends, when needed.

Came a long active period of sports, family and dragracing.

Now I own a Wasburn coustic electric bass in order to get my fingers in shape again. I plan to find a bunch of other older guys to find a style somehere rooted in Rock n roll, blues, funk and jazz-fusion.

What ever...

I'm new too,

I started on a 73 P bass in 1983, which I sold it in '87 and bought my current bass, a Johnny Mørch headless 4 string -my soulmate ever since.

I got a GK 200MB in 1984 which has been my main amp ever since although I keep a B-15N on the east coast for summertime amusement. I keep an old GK RB800 around for actual gigs though I hate it. I have a couple Paradise 15" cabs loaded with McCulley 4 ohm, 600w drivers, they weigh 90 lb but sound like me.

I picked up a couple of upright basses in 2000; a solid, fully carved German bass from 1920s and a plywood King bass form the 60s. I play them most of the time at home because 10 min practice on upright = 1 hour on electric.

I've been in probably a dozen bands ranging from acoustic rock to ska/reggae to punk. I'm currently working with a singer songwriter to fill out his songs for a future band.

I've built a bunch of electric basses and sold most of them over the years. l'm trying to build the perfect bass but that keeps changing.

I believe that the sound of bass can heal things in the same way a cat's purring can.

My influences: Sting, David Steele, Bruce Thomas & Flabba Holt

My name is Dave and I have been a musician since 1964 and a pro since 1967.

I use a Schecter D4 bass and I just got a nice Warwick.

I use a Behringer 450w head with an 8x10 cabinet.

Not playing with a band at the moment. I plan to put one together in the new year. We will play a nice mix of blues, jazz and rock.

My real influence has been Jack Bruce.

Hey Fellas,

I'm Jon. I'm actually a session engineer who fiddled with bass in High School, and am now picking it up in a more serious manner. I used to work as a staff engineer at The Hit Factory in NYC and have been around the best. Having a musicians ear to go along with an engineers, now I just have to work on the technique. Wish me luck, and please answer my stupid questions.

Thanks!

Archived