Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a local venue in my rural OR area with prices typically $30-$40 lawn and $45-$75 for reserved seats. It's worth it, easily. Even if you don't like the band, sometimes! It's a small, beautiful outdoor rustic arena on a hill with a sweet Meyer sound system tuned to perfection, never too loud, great lights, and best of all, you can bring your own beer or wine and picnic and have at it during the sunset and under the stars. I get the impression it's the highlight of many a musician's tour. It's so well done and well run that I'm sure whoever comes through can just relax and enjoy playing and know it's done right. Apparently with this small venue the high ticket prices only cover about 2/3 of the expense of putting it all on, the rest is donations to the Britt Foundation, which also puts on chamber music and jazz master classes for a couple weeks apiece, kids come from around the world. Also they have a nice symphony orchestra in session for a couple months, and despite the eighty people on stage, those tickets are cheaper. Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favorite venue in the last few years has been the "Embassy" theater in Ft. Wayne. Forty-five minutes from my home and most tickets go for somewhere in the range of $30-$50. This is one way to use this older architecture. This theater was saved from destruction and now supported by it's "foundation" and obviously they don't have the room for the mega-stars but I have seen B. B. King, Feliciano, Spiro Gyra and the Rippingtons there. It is a wonderful, intimate place for music. Seems like a savvy group would be looking for these places to put themselves in front of a real live audience. I mean, the acoustics are usually so nice that you don't need semis full of equipment. Some lighting and a small amount of sound gear and you can give any group a great look and a full sound. In the fifties, there were lot's of acts playing the theater circuit. I'd love to see that come back. Granted, there's not a lot of room for dancing and most of these places don't serve any booze but it seems like with all the theater owners complaining about losing business to the video rentals, they'd jump on something like this. In fact, I feel like going out and buying one of these old dying theaters and bringing it back to life. Anybody got any money to loan me???

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

I haven't been to a big concert in years because of this. I agree with Wewus 100%. Also, don't be afraid to write to the record labels, Ticketfucker, etc. and explain to them why you will not be patronizing them, just so they don't get the wrong idea. Also write your local venue and explain to them that the reason you don't go to shows there is that they sell all tickets through Ticketfucker. While you're at it, write your local congressman/woman and ask him/her to reopen the antitrust investigation into Ticketraper. Letter writing gets results.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

If Only: Everybody in The World was as cool as you guys here. I know I'm preaching to the choir but it does feel good to get some positive feedback. Sometimes I feel like the weight of the whole world has been laid upon my shoulders and then I remember what my pappy said: Wewus we're depending on you son, to pull the family through, my sunny son, left up to you. NOW everybody sing along, you too Curve!

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]To $20.00 CDs, to $7.00 beers, to $100.00 concert tickets. We had a thread on here the other day about CD prices and someone mentioned that the price of things is determined by whatever the market will bear.[/b][/quote]Actually, I don't mind $7 beer (or in my case... scotch). Places like that generally mean a trip to the can won't involve running into some drunken loser puking (or pi**ing) into the sink. :D

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/dix_blk-sm.jpg OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY

http://dix.stibs.cc/images/godgunsrock-s.jpg"My uncles and forefather shouldn't have had to die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born into, come disrespect ours, and make us bend to your will. Get over it." - Ted Nugent

I don't buy many CDs, so when something comes out that I want, I usually just buy it. I was in Tower Records yesterday looking for Bassics magazine (ooops - can I say that here?), and was ready to buy the new Weezer album. $18.99. And then I thought about TheWewus and this thread. Then I got sick because I thought about Wewus ( :eek: ;) ). Then I said to myself, "Self - TheWewus is right. That's a lot of money. Find it somewhere else.". So I walked out... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived