Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fingering for Jamerson riff on "Bernadette"?

dcr

I hope this isn't a dumb question. But there's a riff in the 2nd bar of the first verse of "Bernadette" that starts on a Db 8th note, then 16th notes: Ab Bb Db F Gb Bb; then back to Db. (This riff gets repeated later in the song.)

The trouble I'm having is that the groove on the verses feels most natural to me when played with the index finger on the 4th fret. But this makes it pretty tough to shift down to 1st position (to that F on the 1st fret) & back in the middle of a 16th note riff! On the other hand, if you play it all in 1st position, then the main groove is a 4-fret pattern (index/pinky thing), which is also a bit inelegant.

Tips? How do you finger it? (Please don't tell me Jamerson used his 5-string on this one--he DID have one, after all!) Thanks!

Damn this song funks! :thu:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't want to hear that! :D But I can see that's how it'd have to be. (And you're right--I really meant half position.) I'll have to look at it as an opportunity to get as comfortable with the verse groove as a 4-fret riff, as I am with it as a 3-fret riff. Thanks!

Archived