Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Off topic/On topic...the Flaming Lips

Cup

I've briefly made my love for this band known on this forum (on other non lips related topics) before, but I'm getting so much from their music at the moment, I thought they deserved a full topic.

I can't find fault so far, though I must add I've only bought their last two l.p's. Yoshimi battles the pink robots, and The soft bulletin. The bass playing is fantastic IMO. There's a real quirky relationship going on between the bass and drums. I can hear the two l.p's mentioned are cleverly produced (this would usually read too/over produced for my meaty tastes) this production has me wondering just how much is true drums and not machine and what sort of basses they are using...fretted, fretless, synth?

A mod/garage friend of mine thought they sounded Buffalo Springfield. I listened to Springfield, and while I can hear some similarities. Especially in the vocals. I think the Flaming Lips have a sound all of their own.

Anyone else?

Thanks...Cup :freak:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, the flips rock.

the drums are usually live, although they do sometimes tweak the hell out of them to get that "unique" sound. i can tell u that the drums are recorded analog and the levels are completely peaked, creating tape saturation. i also hear a lot of the room mic(s) being used as a main part of the drum sound.

the bass u hear on the albums is a combination of "real bass" and synth bass. it depends on the track....

Bee, why you sting me? - Jack Kerouac

i love the lips. I heard they got the drum sound by recording the room the drums were playing in rather than miking the drums themselves. This gives it the unique boomy sound. Its a nice contrast between accousticy and electronicy (if you know what i mean).

There early stuff was a little bit too mental for me. See Boombox experiments*

I think that glastonbury will have done them a lot of favours in the U.K.

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by Gord -B:

I think that glastonbury will have done them a lot of favours in the U.K.

How much coverage on BBC3 did they get! They were good, but not *that* good! Wish they'd shown more of The Roots and not just ?uestlove's giant drum solo.

Alex

Cheers folks, interesting stuff about the drum sounds Gord B...very Albini sort mic placement. I seen a downloaded recording of their Glastonbury show, then seen them at Witnness (Ireland) they're brilliant live! I've been to their site..it's all very good...barr the forum, how many threads calling Cat Stevens a %$£^er can one forum have!

Anyway, back to the spark that bled...

Cup.

just bought transmissions from the sattelite heart. Very dissappointed :( not worth getting. Soft Bulletin and Pink Robots are the only decent albums in my opinion.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Archived