Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

speaker watt question

saqle

My question is: Im planning to use two 1x15 125Watt 8ohm speakers to my 500watt 4ohm ashdown transistor amp, and to get the wattage up to over 500 I would like to get a 4x10 cab too.

How would I connect these(since the speaker outputs min. load is 4 ohm)?

Can I use the 125watt x2 cabs in the meanwhile if I dont crank the volume, or does that not work?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's quite alright using a power amp that has more watts than your speakers can handle, as long as you make sure not to crank it to the point of distorting or bottoming out your speakers. This is not that hard to recognize, and once your speakers get to that point, you're not likely going to get much more volume from them anyway, no matter how much you crank them. Some people prefer to use speakers with lower wattage ratings so they never clip their power amps and can get the maximum power out of tier speakers.
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Thanks.

If I understand it correctly, two 8ohm speakers would make 4ohm and the amp has a min. 4 ohm so I couldnt connect another speaker 8 or 4ohms because it would make the ohm lower then 4 right?

So to connect a 4x10 or 2x10 it has to be a 8ohm and then I can only add one of the 1x15cabs to it. Tell me if im wrong, Im trying to figure this thing out. :P

no, you're not wrong. If your cab has a 4 ohm min, you can add at most two 8 ohm cabs to it. Now, if you wanted to get into the realm of do-it-yourself wiring, you can wire a cab in series in order to avoid a drop in impedance. the drawback of doing this, though, is that you first of all have to make a speaker cable of your own for series wiring (diagrams are available on the web, it's not too difficult) and if you connected another 4ohm cab to the first two cabs already running in paralell, then you would increse the load to 8 ohms. I don't know if you are trying to get every watt from your rig or not, but that will likely give you less power, but the incresed speaker area would probably more than make up for it.

Anyway, my reccomendation would be to just use two 8 ohm cabs for now, and get a new head later on when you really need to have more than two cabs running simultaneously.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

:thu: Ok, yes well im happy with my ashdown amp thats actually new and so I need to figure out what speakers would work with it not the other way around. :P I guess It would make more sence to use one of the 1x15 and then get a 2x10 or 4x10 8ohm and I would have 4ohm and a better sound than with just two 15´s.

Archived