Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scott La Faro

alexclaber

What a player - been listening to him on Bill Evans "Live at the Village Vanguard" and I so want to learn upright now. His tone is huge, his pocket so deep and he never plays quite what I expect, he always finds something that much better.

BUY THIS ALBUM!!!

Alex

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have it.

And you are so right! Add to that his solos are the most melodic of his generation.

Scott LaFaro was killed in an auto accident 10 days after this album was recorded. I have stated on these pages that had he lived, the direction of jazz bass playing would have been altered from the 60's on.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I have stated on these pages that had he lived, the direction of jazz bass playing would have been altered from the 60's on.

I can totally imagine that - if you consider the massive impact that Mingus had (I presume he was the 'leading' jazz bassist when La Faro came onto and then left the scene all too abruptly) and how La Faro is the next step along the evolution of jazz bass playing, I suspect that we'd be seeing as many La Faro-isms as we do Mingus and Jaco-isms.

One question though - why doesn't every jazz trio have the bass mixed this loud?

Alex

Archived