Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP!!!! CHOOSING GOOD COVERS

prophetgtree

Hey, in one week and one day I've got my first show infront of a college audience. We want to do originals, but we also don't want to lose their attention if they aren't digging our orginals so we NEED some good covers that you think college kids will like. ALL suggestions welcome!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iron Man is an easy cover. Maybe Crazy Train? Or do something like "Come on Eileen," "Brown-eyed girl," "Louie, Louie," or "Take me on." Those'll be gravy if you have a spare trumpet lying around :D . Play something you like because they'll probably dig your enthusiasm if you play a song you love. Have fun!
In Skynyrd We Trust

Play something punkish ummm I heres what today's youth is listening to (i happen to be one lol)

Try these songs out:

Finch- What it is to Burn

Me Firt and The Gimme Gimmes - They do punk covers of old songs

Green Day- Ok any of their songs are rather easy but a very easy one is Brain Stew

Red Hot Chilli Peppers- Under The Bridge

Eagles- Hotel California-- a classic!

I have more suggestions if you want them, if you can describe what you are looking for.....

If you playing to college kids, they are really into Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, and O.A.R. If you playing for a crowd that's a little more rock focused, check out the bands Thursday and Juliana Theory. Their music styles are well like bye many.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

The long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida or Freebird. Hand out lighters before the show.

Seriously, follow the previous post; figure out what they listen to, then just cop that. Sum 41 or whatever those crazy kids listen to these days. Listen to the radio if necessary.

I heard a young band doing a kind of a punk rendition of Bob Dylan's "Tangled up in Blue"- maybe you could reach way back and modernize something. Anyone of reasonable ability should be able to play a Dylan tune better than Dylan. Except for "Lay Lady Lay". Don't do that one.

1) Depends on the college. Contact their student-run radio station and see what they say about the campus vibe.

2) Depends on the venue. The main campus arena might fill up with more of the general radio-friendly college students, who are into stuff like Dave Matthews or 70's rock or whatnot.

If it's more like a student run basement club in a dorm, it might be more dance oriented techno or rap, if even hardcore punk or something.

3) What kind of music does your band play? The college or radio station would not have booked you if your own music didn't fit the bill. Go with what you do best. And, if you do primarily originals anyway, don't just do a well-known cover "so they'll like us." Find something a little more under the radar from an artist they might know, and put your own spin on it.

Tough to do in a week, but worthwhile checking out. Good luck.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Check the playlists of local college radio stations. Check on which "national" bands are booked to play on campus. Very often those bands are the ones on the verge of big fame OR peaking and then falling off the radar.

Good luck.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The important thing with covers is HAVE FUN and PLAY WHAT THEY LIKE.

There's no point in trying some obscure thing that no one knows... That's basically the same as playing originals. Play stuff that everyone knows like "Back In Black". "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World is 2 easy: D A G, so everyone in the band should be able to play it after 2 tries and people go NUTS over that one. Any Greenday is easy and makes people move their arses.

Anyway, what everyone else said too.... And have fun!!! :D

-{m}- What's these knobs for?

http://www.martianrebel.com

Which college matters, ya' know.

I personally wouldn't bust out your Dave Matthews/Ben Folds Five medley at a Morehouse/Spelman event. I'd lay into a James Brown medley; "Da Butt" by E.U. always gets the party jumpin'; a Roots cover or two would do the trick as well.

'Nuff said.

Peace.

spreadluv

I agree that you should play what they'll like (who could disagree), based on the demographic, the occasion, etc. But I don't think that means you need to recycle college radio for them. If it's on the dial, why do they need to hear you doing it? Wouldn't they rather hear the stuff they like that they DON'T hear every day, anyway?

Originally posted by prophetgtree:

...so we NEED some good covers that you think college kids will like...

dcr has made the most important point, especially given your initial post, Prophet.

What do they like? You can guess at some of it based on location, demographics, radio play, etc. You can use some of the suggestions here.

You said you just want to make sure you've got some tunes they'll recognize and enjoy interspersed w/ your originals. I think that's a great strategy.

Peace.

spreadluv

Do "Louie Louie" later in the evening (when the party goers have had "a few") and sing it like Belushi did in Animal House. It helps if the rest of the band is stammering along too. It *really* helps if you turn to the person next to you and start bumping them with your head.

I was in a band that did the above every once in a while at clubs during our third set. We had the horn section sing it and act all belligerent. It ruled.

Can i ask why not "lay, lady, lay"? In my old band we did an original spin on "hero" by enrique englasias (i think thats how you spell it, if anybody could correct me that'd be great) anything that most people wouldn't like then put your own spin on it and turn it into your own song to suit your style, its difficult in a week but just try it later on as a crowd pleaser in other gigs and see how it goes down, even if you most of the people there don't like you, nobody will care cos you're doing your best and thats resectable.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

I love you guys. In almost exactly 24 hours I've gotten tons of replies... all with GREAT ideas. To clear up the genre, we'll be playing blue rock originals. BUT we are really up for anything we can pull off that the crowd will like. DMB and Ben Harper are definitely great options. You guys are so awesome!!

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

I'd go for something not extremely recent, not extremely outdated, but recent enough that it'll elicit some nostalgia for the college kids. A hit from the late 80's/early 90's would be good. Maybe some Nirvana? I still enjoy hearing all the popular songs from when I was 10.

Or try "Bohemian Rhapsody" if you can pull it off. That song makes everyone happy.

All your bass are belong to us!

Its a scientific fact that loud music make you happy but anything above 90 decibels makes your ears bleed, so go loud but not too loud.

nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Why not Lay Lady Lay? Because it can't be improved on. Most other Dylan tunes can be. The most obvious is All Along The Watchtower. Bobs version is great but Hendrix owns that tune. sorry about getting off topic.

Archived