Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm starting to seriously get into recording with my computer and I'm slowly upgrading it (PII 350 64mg RAM) and for starters I want a better sound card. can anybody recommend a good quality PCI sound card that won't make my wallet too much thinner? Right now it's using an AWE32 card built into the MOBO.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good upgrade from the card you have would be The AudioTrak Maya, available for under $100.00 The next step from there would be The M-Audio Audiophile Card about $180.00 You should study the subject a little bit. There's a lot out there and a lot of options. You need to make sure your software, soundcard and Operating System are all compatible with each other.

I looked at the M-Audio card and it looks good, but I'm switching to Linux which would pose a problem. Does anybody know of Linux compatible cards, or drivers? Otherwise I can just put a windoze partition on and upgrade my computer! :rolleyes:

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

The Echo Mia is an excellent value at just under $200. Does not have Midi I/O like the audiophile, but is supposed to have slightly better converters than the Audiophile. Either way you can't go wrong. All the M-audio stuff has Linux drivers. I also wonder what software you are going to use on Linux. The only reason I ever use windows is music. It is Linux for everything else :)

I'll second the motion for the Mia. I had an Audiophile and it worked great for a while, but then started crackling/popping like hell. I tried every driver M-Audio had at the time, different Windows versions, motherboards/chipsets, etc, with no luck. I know others who've had similiar experiences with M-Audio Delta cards, but your mileage may vary. Echo's WDM drivers are some of the best around, so I highly recommend any of their products. -Dylan

Just had a look at the Mia, sweet deal! thanks for more great advice everyone :thu: P.S.: Does the Mia have Linux Drivers? I'm still looking at software for Linux as I just switched but there's loads to choose from. Right now my best option appears to be a 64 track HD recording program called SLAB.

-Mitch Hedberg

no, mostly. Echo did not release detailed specs to Open Source Software developers. I don't know the state of the drivers. The [url=http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/]ALSA soundcard drivers[/url] matrix indicates only S/PDIF might be working for the MIA. if you want linux drivers you will probably want to use the the [url=http://www.alsa-project.org/]ALSA Project soundcard drivers[/url] You really would have to read up on this. Configure the drivers for another soundcard and read the docs. The RME cards seem to be the best supported, but those are pretty serious cards. People are certainly doing interesting work on linux based projects. But it is pretty unlikely that you will be able to meet your needs with just linux software. Pat

Have used the Echo MIA card since late November 2001. Nice card for the $$$. FYI....The lastest drivers are 6.03. Just my 2 cents for the day.

Haven Music Productions

Tampa, FL

www DOT havenmp DOT com

Archived