Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Bass Player in a Bad Band?

KikkyMonk

I started a thread a while ago asking if we as bass players tend to get compliments as much as the drummers/singer/guitarist. I understand that bass isnt a solo istrument and the vast majority of audience dont know a good one from a bad one. What the audience does know however is a bad band from a good one. I think the bass is a large chunck of whether a band is good or not.

Does anyone know bands that are bad but have a good bass player. I mean as far the their recorded music goes (not the player past or future) Also music you dont like is different than bad bands. i.e good bass lines crappy songs

Anywho thats it

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

I started a thread a while ago asking if we as bass players tend to get compliments as much as the drummers/singer/guitarist. I understand that bass isnt a solo istrument and the vast majority of audience dont know a good one from a bad one. What the audience does know however is a bad band from a good one. I think the bass is a large chunck of whether a band is good or not.

Does anyone know bands that are bad but have a good bass player. I mean as far the their recorded music goes (not the player past or future) Also music you dont like is different than bad bands. i.e good bass lines crappy songs

Anywho thats it

My current band sucks, but the bassplayer rocks. :D

This is dangerous. But three come to mind.

John Wetton in Asia. Actually, every player in Asia was a monster, but somehow that band never lived up to the potential of its parts--at least in their airplay stuff. Not a bad band, mind you, but nothing special (unlike its individual members).

David Hungate in Toto. Again, not a bad band, but when I heard Hungate tear into some R&B, my jaw simply hit the floor. I don't think Toto, although a good band, made jaws hit floors.

The guy whose name I can't remember who played in The Firm. He was the support guy for the two stars (Rodgers & Page), but although their music was fairly blah, I kept listening to their first album to hear that guy's wild fretless playing!

Originally posted by dcr:

The guy whose name I can't remember who played in The Firm. He was the support guy for the two stars (Rodgers & Page), but although their music was fairly blah, I kept listening to their first album to hear that guy's wild fretless playing!

That was Tony Franklin. He's a monster!
I really don't know what to put here.

Are you kidding me? Chad Smith is an awesome drummer, and John is a great guitar player. Try figuring out some of his timing... I'll agree that Kiedis can't sing, but even he's got soul.

Nope... not kidding. I think Smith, Flea and Frusciante are talented, and I also think Keidis has his moments, but I think their songs really blow these days.

I think they can play, but their material is terrible these days. I hate their stupid ballads, and they seem to have forgotten how to rock. A band is only as good as its material. IMO, this band has lousy material, which makes THEM lousy.

Hence... good bassist, shitty band.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

IMO, this band has lousy material, which makes THEM lousy.

IYO. Personally I think their writing has hit new heights on BTW though I do miss the funkiness of BSSM. And Anthony may not sing in tune live, but he does a remarkable job on the studio recordings. I still think the Chilis are producing honest, heart-felt music (without becoming formulaic) which is very refreshing for a 20 year old band.

Alex

Well, sure... I mean, aren't "good" and "bad" subjective determinations anyway?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Nope... not kidding. I think Smith, Flea and Frusciante are talented, and I also think Keidis has his moments, but I think their songs really blow these days.

I think they can play, but their material is terrible these days. I hate their stupid ballads, and they seem to have forgotten how to rock. A band is only as good as its material. IMO, this band has lousy material, which makes THEM lousy.

I totally agree with you dude.

Originally posted by CMDN:

Are you kidding me? Chad Smith is an awesome drummer, and John is a great guitar player. Try figuring out some of his timing... I'll agree that Kiedis can't sing, but even he's got soul.

Perhaps what I'm about to say doesn't really follow the topic of the thread very well but... I thinks the chilis are great but the radio stations and music channels and radio stations haven't helped by playing their songs over and over and over until everyone gets sick of them, often taking a good song and making everyone grow to hate it.

Hmmm.

How 'bout Robert Trujillo, in Metallica.

Great bassist, but that band has sucked ever since the black album, and even on the black album.

Listen to Suicidal Tendencies, and you'll realize how Tru's talents are going to waste playing the pop metal crap coming from Metallica these days.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

No. Everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. So there.
My dad can beat up your dad.

Nyah.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

I wouldn't say a bassist makes a band better or good. I will say that he/she helps keep things tight. The one thing in my mind that stands out when I've seen a "bad band" is that they were often times great vocalists. I've seen some mediocre bands, but there were 4 people in the band that could sing their a****s off. That is what people in the audience hear (unless you're a musician).

Originally posted by Mike (aka Hoagie):

I wouldn't say a bassist makes a band better or good. I will say that he/she helps keep things tight.

If a good bassist makes a band tighter, is that band not improved?

The one thing in my mind that stands out when I've seen a "bad band" is that they were often times great vocalists. I've seen some mediocre bands, but there were 4 people in the band that could sing their a****s off. That is what people in the audience hear (unless you're a musician).

I totally agree that the vocals can make or break a band, and that most of the crowd, especially in bigger venues, just want to sing along with the hits.

That's why Journey was so popular. But man, that Russ Vallory...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

How 'bout Robert Trujillo, in Metallica.

How about any bass player from Metallica? Burton, Newsted and Trujillo are all great players. Ulrich is a terrible drummer and Hetfield is a terrible lyricist IMHO. The guitar work on a lot of their material was clever, but try to find a single heavy metal guitarist that can't play most of their songs.

Originally posted by wraub:

Originally posted by Mike (aka Hoagie):

I wouldn't say a bassist makes a band better or good. I will say that he/she helps keep things tight.

If a good bassist makes a band tighter, is that band not improved?

The one thing in my mind that stands out when I've seen a "bad band" is that they were often times great vocalists. I've seen some mediocre bands, but there were 4 people in the band that could sing their a****s off. That is what people in the audience hear (unless you're a musician).

I totally agree that the vocals can make or break a band, and that most of the crowd, especially in bigger venues, just want to sing along with the hits.

That's why Journey was so popular. But man, that Russ Vallory...

Peace,

wraub

To answer the question inserted within my quote from up top...Yes, the band would be somewhat improved with a great bassist.

Archived