Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

buying another 4 stringer

bassingeorge

Hello bassers, I'm planning to buy a used or new bass of Ebay or new at a good price, about $250 to $450 price range, I'm on the cheap side but want a good bass...

I was planning to get a 51' reissue fender p-bass, The sting signiture (wich is basically the same as the 51), maybe check out carvin basses in Ebay and I have been searching for other brands such as ESP, schecter or reverend. I am looking for a vintage appeal, so the ESP or schecters are just in case brands.

I took a look at the Reverend PJ4 and I loved the looks! the price is a little off my budget ($600 direct price) but found a 5 stringer off ebay for about $450...not bad...maybe I can swing a 4 stringer for about $400...cool...but...I don't know the brand, were are they made, are they good? pros or cons? anything! I would like to know if the reveren would be a good choice vs. the " 51 " fender (wich I love)...Thanx a lot for the help...If this helps I play mostly ska riffs with the band...but i practice playing funk, rock, metal (a lil') and other stuff...

Got bass?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do a search on Reverend Rumblefish here and you'll see lots of info.

I am also very interested in the Reverend, although I've not gotten a chance to play one. Everything I've heard about them is very positive...and I'll bet it's a better bass than the '51 reissue.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I am also very interested in the Reverend, although I've not gotten a chance to play one. Everything I've heard about them is very positive...and I'll bet it's a better bass than the '51 reissue.

Ditto! I wish they made a 5-string with a 34" scale - I'd love to string one EADGC or even ADGCF to experiment with jazz guitar things on the bass and do so with mellow vintage hollowbody tone (rather than the modern growl of my Warwick).

Alex

Do a search on the 51 reissue; there have been several threads, including a few in the past few weeks. I'm a fan of this bass (but don't own one).

Also, check out the thread on Godin basses. They're very affordable, & I was really struck by how much folks seem to like them. Should be worth checking out.

A friend I jam with from time to time plays a Reverend g****r thru a Rivera 1x12 combo. Sounds fantastic. I don't know how it translates, though, into their basses, but I've heard good things.

Used 4-banger? $450 or less? Look for some used G&Ls. They're solidly made instruments, and many models are versatile in terms of tone. Some older SB-1 P-style G&L basses were going for around $300 on eBay recently. I would think SB-2s could fall in that range as well. If you found an older L-1000, that might work for you and would be less than $450 (I would think). I don't know if the L-1500 or L-2000 go for <$450 on eBay, but it's worth checking.

Also, Carvin basses tend to be inexpensive on eBay.

Summary: Check out G&L and Carvin on eBay. They tend to sell for less than their value (in my opinion).

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

http://64.78.37.16/UsedBassGuitar/currentUsed.asp

There's a blueburst G&L ASAT for $385!... if I had the $$$, it'd be mine in a heartbeat. Far as I can tell, only issues are missing volume knob and fairly good chunk of finish off the belly contour (backside/top of bass.)

IMO, I don't really think you could do any better.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

LOL... Willie, we should be endorsed by G&L :D

Mr. MP,

Funny thing is, I don't own a G&L. I really like the JB-2, but for some reason have never been comfortable playing the double humbucker models (i.e., the ones reminiscent of the Music Man Sabre -- a great bass!). The single 'bucker ones (like the Climax or L-1500/1505) I like better.

However, the bridges on those G&Ls are awesome and the overall build of the instrument always feels solid.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks guys...I read goods things about the reverend 4 string and 5 stringer...buut...When I look in Ebay theres either the 4 or the 5 (strings)..like for instance, yesterday I checked ebay for reverend bass and there was a very cool 5 model for a buy it now price or 450!! bareley used! I fell for it...but it´s a 5...I want that bass for picking (ska-punk)....would a 5 work?? I have an acoustic 5...I love the 5 strings but I can't play rough with it (pick it) so I don't know if I'm hitting the strings with a 5...what the hell??? I don't even understand myself...I'll just wait for a 4! thanx again

:wave:

Got bass?

As for the G&L's, there's something called the Tribute series. These are made in Korea, but are designed by G&L. The electronics are made in the Fullerton, CA factory. Seems very well designed to me. Go to their web page for more info, click on Instruments, then the Tribute logo.

Great value for G&L stuff. Haven't seen them yet at online dealers, so you'll have to get yer butt to the store. :)

There are three models available: the SB-2, the L-2000, and the 5 string L-2500.

I think a Reverend would be great. I have a rumblefish (jazz style) and it is awesome. great big tone and that classic jazz growl. I have gotten a lot of compliments on its sound. I really dig the new PJ models out now too. there is one on ebay. that would be a sweet score if you could get it. here is a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2551582253&category=4713

Archived