Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New poll......

willerichey

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would you like instead of a fliptop battery compartment? A couple of skinny little wires with a battery clip at the end? A metal battery clip on the circuit board that forces you to put rubber bands around it to keep the battery from falling out?

What is the new state of the art in battery connections? I'd be glad to change all of mine to the hippest, newest thing.

Flip-tops sure beat having to unscrew the entire control cavity cover and fish out the battery from there.

One of my basses has a separate battery compartment for which I need to unscrew two screws to get to the battery. Not too bad and looks nicer than the fliptop compartment, but it's not as easy or efficient. God forbid I lose one of the screws while changing a battery!

I am curious:

What are the alternatives to the fliptop?

Which ones are better?

Why are they better?

Certainly phantom power straight to the instrument would rock. I think there are EBS products that may provide phantom power to basses w/ active electronics (but, then again, I could be dreaming...).

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My favorite battery compartment solution is the type on early G&Ls and Music Mans: a nice durable chrome plate with two machine screws. With proper care, that setup will last forever. If you lose one of the screws, you can easily get another at the hardware store. Maybe even carry a spare, just in case. I always have a small phillips handy, and my swiss army knife will do in a pinch.

I'm not a big fan of plastic components of any kind, particularly those with bending and/or moving parts. This comes from working on old cars and bikes. On a 30-year-old machine, the metal parts are almost always still servicable, and the plastic parts are almost always not! Me and my buddy are always joking: you mean the plastic part broke AGAIN?!

So the pop top battery compartment is all cool and convenient right now, but as the instrument ages it WILL eventually bust. And sooner or later, they're going to stop making the one that fits on your bass.

It's not the end of the world. But I know what I prefer. I like durable things.

I was agreeing with everyone about the plastic "pop-top" battery compartments being good until I saw Jeff's post.

He's right. Metal w/ screws is better. The plastic flexing (or sliding, or ...) WILL break, it's just a matter of time.

Now, if the holes for the screws were "Keyholed" (slot with large hole for head of screw), you wouldn't have to remove the screws and maybe they wouldn't get lost. But, there would have to be a recess to slide the plate with a gap ....

I'm sorry, I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer, I just can't help tinkering. :D

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Originally posted by Jeff Addicott:

My favorite battery compartment solution is the type on early G&Ls and Music Mans: a nice durable chrome plate with two machine screws. With proper care, that setup will last forever. If you lose one of the screws, you can easily get another at the hardware store. Maybe even carry a spare, just in case. I always have a small phillips handy, and my swiss army knife will do in a pinch.

Jeff has made a good point. My Music Man is the bass I referred to in my earlier post: metal plate w/ two screws covering the battery compartment. It's easy to remove and replace, and I, too, always have a phillips head screwdriver with me. It is also sturdy. It's not as easy as the flip-top compartment (like on my Carvin), but the durability argument is a good one!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

And then, of course there's the Warwick design. The entire cavity cover is held on with 2 plastic flippers. And this thing has all the shielding and everything.

I constantly worry that my little flippers will break and the door will fall off and my nice bass will look like something hangin' on the wall of Uncle Wally's pawn shop.

I think they are making that door for purchase, but they probably charge way too much for it.

So, all you engineers. How would you design something tool free to access the cavity, but with the durability of flippers? Maybe a sliding door like remote controls...they ALWAYS lose thier flippers...every remote I have has the door taped on.

Come on engineers...perfect something and make a million bucks.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived