Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Putting one out to pasture...

flyingmarcel

Good Evening,

After some deep thought, I have decided to trade in my old Polytone Mini Brute III. I've been happy with this amp for a long time, but find that it is becoming unreliable and seems to be in the shop more than its out on jobs (I've played it on two jobs in the last 6 months). I've decided that instead of buying another similar setup, I might like to try combo amp. My main two instruments are 1) upright bass and 2) a fretless sterling, which both sounded great through the polytone. Believe me when I say that I'm not a rocker in the least, playing mostly (read almost only!) jazz. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with gear you might recommend to get a true sound out of my upright, but still versatile enough to get a nice "punch" out of the sterling. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

FM

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of choices out there.

The most common substitute for the Polytone is the GK Microbass (there's an extensive thread here about that.) Many URB riders specify that the venue provide either a Polytone or the GK.

The Acoustic Image Contra Bass amp is designed specifically for Acoustic instruments. Not "punchy," since the main speaker is floor firing. However, this combo boils bass off the stage, and the floor firing speaker has the added benefit of making the bass audible to the entire jazz band (you don't have to be in front of the amp to hear it.)

EA is making a series of combos...however one was withdrawn (I see rumors of speaker-popping.) I'm sure they are developing more and better stuff...but I don't know these amps personally.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived