Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my first BASS amp !

Dave da Dude

I just bought a Yamaha 50W, 1 x 15 on ebay. His brother "played" with the wiring. The amp part doesn't work anymore. The speaker appears to be intact and the cabinet is definetely intact.

Price $10. Shipping $0. A friend lives an hour away and will be bring it sometime between Sept and Nov. I'm thinking worst case is I can drive the 15" bass speaker with one of my other amps.

Dave the Cheap

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave th Dude:

I just bought a Yamaha 50W, 1 x 15 on ebay. His brother "played" with the wiring. The amp part doesn't work anymore. The speaker appears to be intact and the cabinet is definetely intact.

Price $10. Shipping $0. A friend lives an hour away and will be bring it sometime between Sept and Nov. I'm thinking worst case is I can drive the 15" bass speaker with one of my other amps.

Dave the Cheap

Is it solid state? If it's tube, I can fix it. If it's solid state, I can attempt to fix it. :D

What exactly did "brother" mess with? If you can get that information, it'll help with trouble-shooting it. I'm thinking an output transistor(s) got fried. :(

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

$10 for a 15" bass driver isn't bad.

Of course, you've got to take into account the expenditures you'll now make in money, time, & energy to make you've got into something serviceable.

Sometimes you still come out ahead. Sometimes you'd have been better off spending more up front (and sometimes that isn't an option, anyway).

Hope this is more like the 1st than the 2nd for you! But that'll be up to you... Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

The brother "played with the wiring". Maybe misconnected, maybe a fried power transistor, or ???

Like I said, if all I got was the 15" speaker, I'm real happy. If all I got was the cab, I'm still ahead of the game.

I'll try fixing the amp, but it's not absolutely necessary. I'll be back here when I get to that point for help.

Anyway, I'm started. I figure by the time I'm ready to "pop" the strings (if I get a bass before I get this speaker), the speaker (and maybe amp) will be here and working.

Dave

The brother "played with the wiring". Maybe misconnected, maybe a fried power transistor, or ???

Like I said, if all I got was the 15" speaker, I'm real happy. If all I got was the cab, I'm still ahead of the game.

I'll try fixing the amp, but it's not absolutely necessary. I'll be back here when I get to that point for help.

Anyway, I'm started. I figure by the time I'm ready to "pop" the strings (if I get a bass before I get this speaker), the speaker (and maybe amp) will be here and working.

Dave

Dave,

Those 15" speakers aren't too bad for guitar either. I just finished a 1 x 15" cab for a high-gain guitar amp head unit I built. The dimensions are about 16" x 17.5" x 22". It's made of MDF (cost me almost $15 for materials :eek: NOT! It's good sturdy material for very little money). MDF has almost no resonant properties, so it works good for bass and high-gain guitar use. I put it together with #10 wood screws, but I'll go with long black dry-wall screws next time. No fancy joinery, just plain old butt joints and Elmer's yellow carpenter's glue.

Brush painting this stuff is probably something I wouldn't do again; It requires a lot of coats of paint to get a glossy finish. I'd go with tolex or tweed, or even carpet. If I build with MDF again, I'd spray paint it flat black or camoflage. :) I'm going to start on a pedal board soon, and I'll probably use the scrap from my cabinet for that. :D Camoflage pedal board? :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Bluestrat,

I'm thinking of bulding some cabs too, but with the prices at Avatar I'm having some serious second thoughts. Good speakers are about $70 each, materials for a 2 x 12 maybe $20, that's $160. I think I saw an Avatar 2 x 12 for $199 (plus shipping of course). How many hours of labor for $40? Close call, but maybe not for a poor struggling student.

BTW, are you in classes now?

Also, on pedal boards, I was all set to build my own pedal board too. But, I found an easier and cheaper way. I scrounged around the "junk" pile at work (I'm sure they have one at school too) and found a really great pull out desk tray for a keyboard, no compartments, just flat and open AND a nearly perfect size. Now if I just get 'round to it" and mount the velcro and pedals (once I clear enough room in the "Music Room".

Hit the books and hit the bass! :thu:

Dave

Bluestrat,

I'm thinking of bulding some cabs too, but with the prices at Avatar I'm having some serious second thoughts. Good speakers are about $70 each, materials for a 2 x 12 maybe $20, that's $160. I think I saw an Avatar 2 x 12 for $199 (plus shipping of course). How many hours of labor for $40? Close call, but maybe not for a poor struggling student.

BTW, are you in classes now?

Also, on pedal boards, I was all set to build my own pedal board too. But, I found an easier and cheaper way. I scrounged around the "junk" pile at work (I'm sure they have one at school too) and found a really great pull out desk tray for a keyboard, no compartments, just flat and open AND a nearly perfect size. Now if I just get 'round to it" and mount the velcro and pedals (once I clear enough room in the "Music Room".

Hit the books and hit the bass! :thu:

Dave

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! I've had a rather hectic month trying to get ready to move. I'm moving tomorrow, and won't be back online until sometime monday. :( I'm not in classes yet, they start the monday after next. I've managed to get transfered to Lowe's north Charlotte store, so I guess I'll be all set!

How many hours of labor for $40? Close call, but maybe not for a poor struggling student.
Considering that I couldn't get to it except for on weekends (table saw and drill are my dad's), I'm sure that I could complete an unfinished cab in four hours time. That would just be cutting the material and assembling. The grill cloth would need to be put in after the covering or finish is on the cab. This also depends on the style of the cabinet. I'm talking about just cutting two round holes in the front of the cab and putting grill cloth behind them, after rounding all the edges and sanding. A seperate baffle and grill is a little more difficult and would require more time.

The baffle would need to be inset and attached, then a frame with the cloth attached would be assembled and then screwed to the baffle after the speakers were installed.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived