Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yet another crossover thread...

doc taz

Anyway, I was wondering...

(I may have asked this before, but this might help the newbs too.)

I have a Peavey TNT 115 combo amp. It runs at 150 watts at 4 ohms. With its crossover, I want to send out the frequencies above 200 Hz to another cab, preferably a 2x10 with a tweeter of some kind (using the High output jack, I presume).

For powering the extra cab, would I have to get a power amp with the same power rating as my TNT 115's, or can I use something else? How about a powered cab? I'd like to keep things as compact as possible. I have no desire for a monster-sized rig. Besides, I usually get miked or DI'd anyway.

Also, since I'm sending the highs out, I can be sure that my 15 inch will get nothing but the frequencies below 200 Hz, correct?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peavey-boy, robb., where are you?!

Without looking up more specs about your amp, taz, I'd think that a powered cab would be cool. Unfortunately, I think most powered cabs are subs -- usually 1x15 configurations, which would defeat your purposes since your combo is already a 1x15.

Basically, I'm useless to you. :(

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

maybe it's because i live in the south now, so i'm more sensitive to it, but i really dislike hyphenating anything with "boy".

for some reason "guy" seems to be ok with me, but i really don't like being called "peavey-boy". it makes me feel like i'm fixin' ter et me some fried scrimps. (yes, some people down here do say "scrimps" instead of "shrimp".)

i'm looking into it.

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

maybe it's because i live in the south now, so i'm more sensitive to it, but i really dislike hyphenating anything with "boy".

for some reason "guy" seems to be ok with me, but i really don't like being called "peavey-boy". it makes me feel like i'm fixin' ter et me some fried scrimps. (yes, some people down here do say "scrimps" instead of "shrimp".)

i'm looking into it.

robb.

You da man. I hear your message and appreciate the humor with which it was delivered, Peavey-guy! :D:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

from reading the manual .pdf , in order to use the internal 15" driver for lows only, you need to connect the crossover low output on the front panel to the power amp in on the rear panel.

the input signal chain goes from the graphic EQ to the crossover. the crossover sends the low signal to the crossover low output on the front panel, and sends the high signal to the chorus module. from there the high signal goes to the crossover high output on the front panel and to a line driver stage where it is blended with the original signal from the graphic EQ.

when you engage the crossover, the crossover high output is sent to the power amp automatically, but it is blended with the original signal, so you'll always have a non-crossed-over signal coming out of the TNT cabinet, unless you bypass the preamp altogether. the way to do that is to connect the crossover low output directly to the power amp in. then, of course, it's merely a matter of adjusting the crossover frequency to taste.

there are no rules for biamping, except to say that highs need considerably less power than lows, so you could get a small, lightweight 1U amp in the 50W to 150W range and be perfectly set. i would recommend a peavey, but even our CS200X is more power than you need. maybe a carvin DCM 150 , or even smaller, a stewart PA-100B , or any number of lower-powered amps that are cheap and 1U or 2U.

robb.

Archived