Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purchased a New Combo.

57pbass

I just purchased ( traded some stuff in too ) the Mesa Walkabout Scout combo from Guitar Center.

It has a 300 watt tube head which is removable and a 12 " speaker.

I have been looking to upgrade my combo for a long time .

I have a GK MB150E that sounds great but seems to change the sound of my basses - if that makes any sense.

I needed a good reference amp for home use for my basses.

I like the Mesa line of Bass gear.....

Oh no its happening again ......GAS ...make it stop...please...make it stop....help me.....

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hadn't realized GC is distributing Mesa Boogie ... not sure how I feel about that)

Hello Music Man.... just curious about your thoughts on this.

You know they are opening a Super Guitar Center on 14th St NYC. My salesperson told me the bass depertment will be spectacular...

www.danielprine.com

Congrats! That Scout combo looks like a nice piece o' gear. BTW, 57p, I think MartinJ is investigating the GK MB combos. He might be willing to take yours off your hands! ;)

I've always seen Mesa at GC. That's where I had a very pleasant experience w/ an M-Pulse 600 and the cab with the 4 10s and 1 15. My next trip I'm hoping to experience the tonal delicacies of the tank-like Boogie 400+! I'll never own one of those monsters, but I've heard they have an awesome sound.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

They make a 4 ohm model and an 8 ohm model.

The 8 is designed for use with an additional cab and drives the enclosed 12 @ 150 watts..

The 4 ohm model is the one I purchased and it drives the enclosed 12 at 300 watts. I wanted the rich tone in one unit.

My one complaint is there is no headphone option - a feature I always used on my GK combo.

www.danielprine.com

Originally posted by 57pbass:

My one complaint is there is no headphone option - a feature I always used on my GK combo.

I've always felt that a headphone jack should be required on all small combos/practice amps -- even if they do put 300W into 4 ohms!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Well, my GC doesn't carry Mesa!

My GC seems to really alter their product line, except for the Fender/Ampeg stuff. And the high end Eden stuff is ubiquitious.

I think what they do is get a real good discount from somebody for a single big purchase. After they are out of stock, they never re-up.

I bought my Eden Nemesis there; now they don't carry the Nemesis.

I've been really intrigued by this Mesa combo...seen the ads for it in BP. So, what are the particulars?

HOW DOES IT SOUND? Also, how tighly did GC ring your wallet for it? And how big/bulky is it?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

HOW DOES IT SOUND? Also, how tighly did GC ring your wallet for it? And how big/bulky is it?

Dave - I think this is a great sounding combo. It has a very full rich tone and plenty of EQ.

As mentioned I have the 4 ohm model so I am driving the 12" at full power. (300 watts) The 15" model is too big for me - plus I have the Bag End 15's that I can use with the head.

Its bigger than the GK MB 150 - I would say its closer in size to an Ampeg combo. The handle is on top and its been easy to move around. I will use a dolly for moving it anyway. I would say it weighs in at abot 30 - 35 lbs. It comes with a nylon cover which is great.

GC hit me for $1000. no discounts or deals since Mesa is real strict with their pricing. Did I get ripped - I am still within my 30 day period.

I also like the fact that I can easily remove the head and use it with other cabs. Four screws and the head comes out. Its very well made - I gave it a very close inspection last night and its solid.

In addition to the 12" it has a 8" passive radiator that is mounted and vented out of the bottom of the unit - it has a very warm big bottom - if needed. Plenty of options with the EQ section.

If you are in the market for a high end combo I would look at this line - I'll keep you posted on any additional info I discover .....

www.danielprine.com

Archived