Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trip to GK

Wally Malone

In a short while I'll be heading to Stockton to the GK factory. Some of you may remember that my 800RB fell off the cart on July 4 when I played the San Jose America's Festival. In addition to taking that for repairs I'm taking with me an Accugrove El Whappo and my Accugroove Tri-112 to try with the GK 1001 and 2001 amps. When I return I'll post my feelings on the GK's

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Wally, here's the link to the preamp, which they say is "coming soon."

2001RBP preamp

I'm not really a fan of GK gear, but I know you've gotten good service from your GK head and I also know that you're considering a preamp-power amp set-up.

Have fun!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I left to go there right after posting and this is the first time getting on the Lowdown since, therefore I didn't see anyone's questions until now. Spent a lot of time comparing different cabs including the El Whappo, various GK 410 cabs, an Ampeg 810. All were tested using the 1001 and 2001 amps. My least favorite was the Ampeg 810, it sounded mushy and could'nt distinguish the articulation of the notes. Two GK 410 cabs sounded better than the Ampeg. The Accugroove El Whappo had a tighter sound than all the others. For size and weight the El Whappo wins out over the two 410 cabs. Both the GK amps sounded good, nice having more power than the 800RB.

When I got back to San Jose I called Mark Wright to return the El Whappo and found out that he had already left to go out of town for the weekend. I had no choice but to take the El Whappo home with me and play it with my Eden Metro. :cool: This was the best sound of the day, but might not be a fair comparison since I was in a different environment. Since I have the cab for the weekend I'll play it some more before taking it back. I feel the GAS coming on for the El Whappo.

Wally

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

When I got back to San Jose I called Mark Wright to return the El Whappo and found out that he had already left to go out of town for the weekend. I had no choice but to take the El Whappo home with me and play it with my Eden Metro. :cool: This was the best sound of the day, but might not be a fair comparison since I was in a different environment. Since I have the cab for the weekend I'll play it some more before taking it back. I feel the GAS coming on for the El Whappo.

Wally

I feel for your difficult circumstances, Wally. :mad: Mark didn't also happen to drop off a Whappo Grande sub at your house by accident on his way out of town, did he? :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Willie, I did play both the El Whappo and Whappo Grande at Mark's through his Stewart 2.1. :thu:

I'm starting to think the rig to have would be those cabs and that power amp with a preamp of choice. With those it would be good to own a Tri-112 and the Accugroove 10 as well. One could use various combinations for different gigs. I guess I should start playing the Lotto, don't know how else I could get all this stuff.

I've been playing a few times this weekend using the El Whappo through my Eden Metro. My wife tolerates most of the playing I do at home. This is one of the first times that she said everything was shaking and vibrating and she's upstairs in one end of the house and I'm in at the other end downstairs.

Wally

I've owned GK amps for a long period, over 25 years. I first owned the 400 RB then the 800RB which is getting worked on due to falling off a cart. After trying the GK amps the other day I'll eventually get the 1001. It would be great to have that GK sound with a little more power than the 800RB.

Wally

Archived