Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Allergy Meds

Over-the-counter allergy meds... anyone got some suggestions? I've tried Benadryll... gets rid of the symptoms but puts me right to sleep. (Yes folks, I'm a REALLY cheap date.) I think I'm gonna die.....help.........someone........ Sick Valky :cry:

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stinging nettles? Yikes! There are some daytime antihistamines that might help with minimal drowsiness. Other than that, take some Sudafed...get a cup of nice hot tea, and pass out.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote][i]Originally posted by Tedster:[/i] Stinging nettles? Yikes! [/quote]LOL! They do sound horrible, but they work pretty well. The only adverse reaction I get is a bit of acid reflux sometimes if I take too many of them, but they actually work better than Sudafed for me in many instances. I'm unusual though, in that I'm in the minority (five percent, I believe) that gets wired by Sudafed! Follow the link for the lowdown on the [url=http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cda.html?command=MedicineChestDetail&pt=Medicine&medicineId=24]Stinging Nettle Plant[/url] . FWIW, someone at Vitamin World told me that stinging nettles also help the prostate, whereas most traditional remedies can cause prostate problems. Obviously this is not a factor for [b]Valky[/b], but I'll bet it is for [i]someone[/i] out there!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I use a spray called NasalCrom. I'm like you Valky, get bad allergies but I just CAN'T take antihistimines, they put me right to sleep. Sudafed doesn't, but it doesn't work that great for me. With NasalCrom I just spray once a day, NO side effects, it's non addicting and doesn't irritate your nose like "traditional" sprays either. It works very similarly to the prescription spray Flonase (which I used to take and it was great) - you have to be on it for a couple of days before you notice any improvement, it's a preventative rather than treating immediate symptoms. If you're suffering really bad you can take other meds like Sudafed until the NasalCrom kicks in. But once it kicks in it REALLY works, you forget you even have allergies. --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound: [b]Over-the-counter allergy meds... anyone got some suggestions? I've tried Benadryll... gets rid of the symptoms but puts me right to sleep. (Yes folks, I'm a REALLY cheap date.) I think I'm gonna die.....help.........someone........ Sick Valky :cry: [/b][/quote]I feel you, I hate allergy's, I have to change to diffrent pills evrey year, Have you tried Tavist? This week I was touch by the wonderful POISON IVY, I got 2 shots in less than 3 days, well guess what?? my allergies are gone!! But i'm still scratching!! :eek: :eek: all over :cry:

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Sudafed for me. Pediacare (red / liquid) is basically the same stuff, and some in my family prefer it. At times, I've tried Allegra and Claritin (sp?) because I've found that it's not hard to get them prescribed... Valky - hope you feel better soon !! Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Allergies are the worst. I have always had trouble but since I moved to LA from the East Coast they have been worse. I have found Zyrtec to be the best. It's not over the counter but nothing over the counter worked for me. I have tried every thing over the counter plus claratin (sp?) and allegra, nasalcrom and flonase. None worked as well as zyrtec. I also take Quercetin with bromelain. It's a plant extract that acts as a natural antihistamine. Besides drugs and supplements, the single best thing I have done to ease my symptoms is to purchase a HEPA air cleaner and run it 24/7 in my bedroom. After about a week I felt so much better it was stunning. I use sudafed occasionally when I have a pounding sinus headache but I try to limit it because supposedly it is hard on the liver. Because it restricts blood vessels everywhere in your body it also can raise your blood pressure. Sudafed is NOT an antihistimine. It's a decongestant. It doesn't prevent the body's reaction to an allergin, it just reduces the response to the reaction. An antihistimine helps to prevent or reduce the actual reaction. Of course, the best way to combat the allergies is to get the scratch test and go on a two year course of injections. I haven't gone that route yet because it is expensive and is a hassle because you need to go to your doctors office twice a week and wait there for them to give you the injection and then wait 30 minutes to show you don't go into allergic shock, in which case they would need to give you shots of epinephrine (adrenaline) to counter the reaction. I've been there too, not fun. Took me almost two weeks to feel 100% again. Keep in mind, I am not a doctor! This is just my real world experience. Very best of luck to you!

If it's over the counter, Benadryl works. I guess you could drink coffee with it. If it's really, really bad allergies, Benadryl with Nasalcrom simultaneously...there's something made by Contact that I remember working well that had the same active ingredient as Benadryl. Prescription: had good luck with both Allegra and Claritin.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]NO side effects, it's non addicting and doesn't irritate your nose like "traditional" sprays either. --Lee[/b][/quote].. you just might start enjoying some electronic based musical acts :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by GusTraX: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]NO side effects, it's non addicting and doesn't irritate your nose like "traditional" sprays either. --Lee[/b][/quote].. you just might start enjoying some electronic based musical acts :D [/b][/quote]In that case maybe I should buy some for all the LA Phil 20th century music concerts I've been doing! :D Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

For me, the best over the counter med has been and still is Drixoral. I moved from South America to Nashville - and after a few months I was a wreck, assaulted by allergies that I never had had before in my life. Good grief, what a pain. So since then (96) I have always had allergies. One day I was feeling so wiped out I could barely drive, my nose dripping, eyes resembling Iguazu falls, head spinning, so I asked the lady at the counter "give me your strongest allergy medicine" and took my sunglasses off. She looked compassionately at my swollen eyes and said "This tha strongest thang we got." It used to come in 2-pill-doses. When really bad, I took both, when moderately to pretty allergic, I took one. Two pills (one dose) will wipe you out and give you great sleep, one (half a dose)will make the day with all its problems bearable again. Now ever since I got one my wisdom teeth pulled last year, I have had close to ZERO allergy problems. I am not sure what to make out of that - I couldn't just go about recommending people to having their wisdom teeth pulled, could I? art

Sudafed will not put you out, it is a CNS, Central Nervous System Stimulant, the same ingredient in the natural remedy Ephedra, and also one of the chemicals used to synthesis crystal methedrine. It WILL increase your heart rate and wake you up and for that reason is not recommended for any one with heart disease or high blood pressure. Sudafed is a decongestant and acts to dry up nasal secretions. Antihistamines such as Benadryl work totally differently, they actually thicken and slow down secretions and for this reason are not recommended for any one who has asthma or a related condition.

Ah,Ah, AAAHHHHCCCHHHOOO!!!!SNIFFFF! Sorry, What Lee said. My wife takes Flonase. I'm lucky I suppose, If I have a bit of allergy I hit an aspirin or a couple of tylenol & I can sleep.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I was a big Chlor-Trimeton fan for a while (the green-pill ones). I could take one before bed, and it would usually take care of me for a couple of days. Now I can't find them. I think maybe they had that ingredient that was pulled off the shelves - so I've switched to Drixoral cold & allergy (I think that's the name - green pill again). Doesn't work quite as good, but I still try to only take it before bed (takes care of the sleepiness). Antihistimines always make for way more dreams - and weird ones, at that... but it sure is nice to breath a little easier!

Benadryl is the strongest anithistamine, over the counter OR prescription, but is the most sedating. Chlor-Trimeton is the next best thing over the counter and is supposed to be the least sedating OTC antihistamine. Nasal-Crom is not an antihistamine, and must be used for several weeks PRIOR to allergy season in order to provide max relief, it is NOT for quick relief. Sudafed is a decongestant, not specifically for allergies, it dilates nasal passages to relieve congestion, which could still be useful. Anithistamines will dry you up, your nose,your eyes, basically any secretions in your body. Oh, and i'm a pharmacist (really!).

I swear by Drixoral. I take 2 with a big glass of water first thing every morning, and unless I'm doing yard work, I'm good to go. I'm allergic to grasses and trees. My wife is allergic to molds and more spore based stuff and the Drixoral doesn't work that well for her. Frank

Archived