Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do You Use Mac, Windows, or Both?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's stupid to commit and swear by only one platform. The broader your skillset, the more valueable you are, in general. I use a g4 800mhz 512ram tower for internet and design work, but don't have the permissions to install any audio stuff (yet). At home I use a few networked windows machines for my meager home studio.

I tipped the scales in favor of the Mac. I wonder how long that'll last! :D For the kind of work I do (studio work in mostly LA), there was never a reason to buy a PC until GigaSampler entered the picture. I would have been incompatible with everyone I know. Most people I work with have always been die-hard Mac fans. Most of them have ProTools TDM rigs, for which Macs make more sense. Before that, most people I knew used Performer and/or Vision on Macs, Logic and/or Cubase on Ataris or Macs, or MPC60s with 2" Studer machines. PCs have come a long way for recording music, but the resistance in my circles is still firm! FWIW, I'm in the process of redoing my studio. By this time next week, I should have two G4s and an iMac installed. The G4s will be used for music, and the iMac will handle mostly business tasks.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I started with a Commodore 64(Dr. T's),then to an Amiga,then to a Mac Performa(nightmare)with Master Tracks Pro(nice).Even though I'm an older guy and most people my age were's using Mac's,I was pretty much on the road when the mac became applicable for audio.When it came time to get into computer audio again I guess that old Mac left such a bad taste in my memory I decided to give the PC a shot,at first it was tough but that taught me a lot about computers in general.To switch back now Apple would have to at least match the price/performance ratio I'm getting now which I don't really see happening anytime soon.I have nothing against the Mac platform but after my horrible experience with the Mac Performa I can't help feeling that I'm looking in my rearview mirror and saying,"See Ya" :wave:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I just made it an even 4-4-4 split...interesting. I was trying to stay true to my beloved Mac, but the PC version of Office seems far superior to the Mac's. I was very excited when I purchased Office v.X for Mac OS X, but after having PPT unexpectedly quit time after time and not correctly playing slideshows imported from PC's, I was forced to get a Sony Vaio for presenting purposes. Pretty happy with it, but I can't figure out why I can't have "/" in my file names...sucks when I want to do my dates that way!!! Ok, out. kc

I was a Mac guy, as my name would imply, since the beginning of time. A few years ago I stumbled onto the DIY PC scene. Since then I have gotten involved with building custom PC's professionally. I don't see myself going back to Mac's in the near future. Too expensive and you just can't upgrade like you can with PC's. I can get parts in the local electronics district and rebuild my whole machine every year for a few hundred bucks. Try that with a Mac. ;)

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I'm a die-hard, snob Mac guy. There use to be a reason for this, but now since PC are getting better and more stable I keep this beleive to make the extra cash I spend looks justified. I have a G4 in the studio and an Imac in the office , I could have probably gotten 4 PC's for the same amount doing the same job - but then I wont be a MAc guy would I? Quality cost ! (ans also vanity ) :D Danny

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

I've always been a PC kinda guy. While everyone was saying how much better Macs were for various things, I wasn't doing those things so I didn't care. At this point there's not a lot of difference. Macs crash, PCs crash - they just do it for different reasons. But, I'm the kind of guy that can figure my way around anything if I have a bit of time to look around. I've used Macs, I've used Linux - computers don't intimidate me, I view them as a challenge. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I didn't count the PC (WinNT) I "use" at work. This thing has the ability to seemingly reinvent itself overnight to become windows NighTmare. Could be the control freaks who ordered the software. I just found that, yes, both platforms crash, but with a Mac it's more like a fender bender you can drive happily away from, while with a PC, it's usually more serious and time consuming. I also don't care for the Microsoft planned obsolescence policy that makes most of what you have useless in a few years. I remember someone at the Tascam forum saying that often the consultants who come in to troubleshoot PC problems at his day job still use win95... Don't know about OSX, but I have reservations.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I use both, but lately, I've been using my dual-boot PC way more, with it booted into Windows XP running Logic 5.1.3 or Cubase SX. Also, I use Wavelab for mastering and burning audio CDs. I used to use my Mac for most music stuff, but I find that Windows XP and good sound card drivers work really well. I go with what works. Both computers are equipped with dual monitors. I also have a Sun Ultra 5 for periods of extreme geekout, and I use a Yamaha AW2816 for location stuff.

Windows only now. I started with the VIC20 moved to the C64 & 128, played around with the Atari. Got my first IBM pc in about '89. I fought with that, kicked myself in the ass for changing but figured out the configurations for DOS, Win 3.0 Win 95 & etc. I'm running ME now & it's pretty much not crashing. I don't have Yahoo, ICQ, IM or any other chat programs. I sweep the system regularly for spy & other insidious installations, run virus protection & a firewall, defrag often & try very hard to close any programs running in the background when I do a fresh program install. My wife's system, ME with a slower cpu crashes tons but she lets the kids use IM, Microsoft chat & other stuff, never takes the time to run an indepth virus scan & doesn't take the time to shut down properly. That's the major cause, in my estimation. I try clean it once a month of so but sometimes don't have the extra time to do a really good clean up so it's pretty nasty with crashing though mostly it's a ctrl/alt/del to close the offending GAME program she has installed. I guarantee that when the kids have chatted on ICQ, IM or Microsoft chat & I run ad Aware, it finds at least a dozen spyware pieces, cookies or programs that have been installed. The key to windows stability is to be religious about those thing mention in the 2nd paragraph.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I'm really stupid. I've committed to a Mac. I've probably had, let's see . . . 10 Macs so far. Never had a PC. I'm not opposed to them. Yes I am. PC's suck. Just kidding. Does it matter? I've used PCs when I had to but I'm more comfortable on a Mac. Besides I prefer striking a blow against the Empire. All of my music applications are Mac and I just continued in that direction.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote]Originally posted by Dak Lander: [b]I'm running ME now & it's pretty much not crashing. I don't have Yahoo, ICQ, IM or any other chat programs. I sweep the system regularly for spy & other insidious installations, run virus protection & a firewall, defrag often & try very hard to close any programs running in the background when I do a fresh program install. [/b][/quote]Good lord. :eek: Well, I zap the P-Ram and rebuild the desktop once a week( takes about 2 minutes), and Run Norton a couple of time a month just in case. So I guess us Mac guys have our crosses to bear too. ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]Well this confirms something I've been thinking about a lot: that a significant number of people use both platforms. It's like a guitarist owning more than one guitar, right?[/b][/quote]Right ! I have not a MAC... but hey, let me get a job and some money and I'll go for an iBook :D

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Director de Ventas, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus Audio Electronics

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

It's impressive to me what a dead heat this has been every step of the way. So many of the music magazines to which I subscribe seem to feel that their readers are much more likely to use PCs than they are Macs (especially [url=http://www.computermusic.co.uk/main.asp]Computer Music[/url] ). I wonder why that is. After all, while PCs dominate the rest of the world, so much of the recording culture has always favored the Mac. This poll, while unscientific, seems to show that both platforms are very important.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

All Unix (Linux at home, multiple flavors at work) till I got into building my studio. I had a dual boot at home (windows + linux). The windows started getting used once I got cubase etc. I have issues with both Apple and M$ (aka the Borg), but the ability to build my own machine, futz around with 3rd party hardware made me go windows (and of course the ability to dual boot windoze and Linux).

Archived