Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seymour Duncan BASSLINES users, a little advice here please...

Iceman Irwin

has anyone of you guys out there ever tried using Quarter Pounds? i have this bass of mine that i'm contemplating to upgrade but i'm thinking of making a p/j configuration...problem is...down here,...the only available pickups for decent price are the QP...i tried the SDuncan site but i see them not offering a p/j setup like emg...

my problem however is...would the different pairing (a precision QP and a bridge-position jazz QP) cause phase problems?

i've encountered so far phase problems when i tried to mix active and passive pups in series (bad idea)...

now i've said my piece...

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the new "ol skool" style Ibanez basses uses a Basslines P and a Basslines J. (I think the bass is the RKB900, and I think the p'ups are QPs.) It should be okay in your own instrument.

You can go to the Ibanez website to get more details.

Also Bass Player mag reviewed that bass a couple of months ago and pretty much liked it.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sweets there made a good point. Also, as far a phase problems...since you're putting a single coil with a humbucker, the phase really doesn't matter a whole lot. It would matter if you were using to single coils, where you would want to have one of them out of phase and with reverse polartiy for a humbucking effect when combined. Also, since they are both passive and both of the same style, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with wiring or balance. Just make sure to adjust the pickup height accordingly after they're installed to make sure the output is balanced from one to the other. Personally, it sounds like a good mod and one that would probably sound very nice.
unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Originally posted by dcr:

Will that lone single coil tend to hum a bit?

Good potential for hum from the single coil QP jazz p'up.

If you're worried about it, Iceman, you could probably go with a Hot Stack for Jazz p'up, and still get the high output that a QP would give without the hum.

(Sidenote: I really would like to try one of those Ibanez RKB basses...)

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

thank you guys for the tip...

uhmmm,...Hot P for the bridge...okay,...well, slapping is an integral part of my playing so i basically need a clear and punchy sound so again, which p/j combination would you guys suggest, QP precision and jazz or QP precision with Hot Stack? :confused:

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Archived