Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone tried curing GAS?

Iceman Irwin

Okay...

i mean it...

i had my way of stopping it when i ended up having debts and eventually, my income came enough to put me back to reality...

in short...

it ended when i no longer had money...

that's a God-sent cure...OUCHHHHH!!!!!

okay how did you fare?

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To thine own self be true. Which means do I really need all this crap to make butts shake at a gig. Umm..that would be a no.

Many years ago I would chase basses, effects, rigs, etc, for that 'ultimate sound' and ego satisfaction of someone commenting on the cool shit I had. Looking back, it was stupid for a couple of reasons. When you gotta hide certain expenses from your significant other, it's a problem. Very disrespectful of your partner.

The main thing I can see now (hind sight is great, isn't it?) is that dancers butts will shake and grind to a string on a 2x4 piece of wood if it's played properly.

Took me a few years of GAS and a lot of wasted money to realize that.

Not to say there isn't nice stuff I run across and get a pang on occasion, but it's easily subdued as I've been there, done that, and own the T-shirt.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Originally posted by CMDN:

I believe the cure for GAS is called a "mortgage."

The cure for me was "mortgage" + "kids" + "car note" ... need I go on?

I have very successfully contained my GAS, but I certainly get bug-eyed about some stuff (e.g., see my past thread about "European basses"). The wallet has certainly stayed in the pocket, though.

However, I do find myself periodically assessing the approximate value of some of my gear to figure out what I might be able to trade it for...

I'd say I'm "recovering" -- not quite cured (mortgage, kids, car note and all!). If it means anything, though, I definitely feel like I will have and use the two basses I own now for a very, very long time.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Another thing i tried...

i'd go to fastfood chains and eat...thinking "Better to eat this burger {chomp}, funny,...tastes like wood..."

then i go buying more food (One more siopao to go with my mami noodles!) :D

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

I suffered GAS for about two years. This was at a time though when I had the money to do it, and decided it was time to start replacing the cheap gear I'd been playing for years (Samick bass and Crate 1x15 80W combo amp).

But once I got set up with decent equipment (Tobias 5-string, Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, Carvin RL6815 amp) I was all set and no longer felt the need to add on. In fact, I'm getting ready to sell the Fender, cuz I just don't play it much.

Still a nice red MTD 535 would be nice. But I'm not going to be able to afford one of those any time soon ;)

I just had a revelation one day while sitting in my room. I looked around at the 4 amps, and 11 basses, and said "I don't use that, I don't play that, that, and that..." Everything that I didn't play or use on a daily/weekly basis went. Now I'm down to 4 basses, 1 big amp, 1 small combo amp. I've also not had the urge to buy anything unless I know I will ABSOLUTELY have a justified use for it.

I tried to cure my GAS-pains by getting a 6-stringed bass (used, a good deal) but it didn't really help, and now I'm in the progress of trying to see if a Korg rack tuner would do the trick. Luckily those nice power amps that I've been drooling at cost a bit too much to include into my budget anytime soon, or at least not this month...

-Pernax

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

My cure, like Rik, was/is to buy really nice gear. For instance, I can't imagine having a better rig than the one I have. One case of GAS cured! Not that it was cheap, but I saved bucks by buying a few used items.

I do like to have multiple basses too. But at the moment, it's so not feasible for me to add any more, so I'll be happy with my amazing sounding Roscoes (bought used) which do the job just fine thank you. They don't leave me wanting.

That won't work for everyone, mind you. Some folks gotta have one of everything, brand new and custom made. That'd be nice too, if you have the money and a place to put it all. But only if!

Yeah, I've got GAS...but, acquiring more gear to feed it only highlights that GAS itself is only a symptom of a much deeper problem. The problem (beyond a certain point) isn't gear...it's what you do with it. I've known guys who bought state of the art new whizbang stuff (like home recording stuff) only to have it sit, because either they don't have the time to use it, or the patience to learn to use it. Their money would have been better spent elsewhere.

So, for me, although I've got a nice cache of gear...the real emptiness for me is not being satisfied with what I'm doing with it. A new band, writing new songs, whatever...seeing the meaningful projects through to fruition. That's the cure for GAS.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I habe serious G.A.S. issues! how do I control GAS? simple! I'm 17 years old, I don't have a job and saving for college! sad but true...

:( I lack of money...thats why I have my trusty standard jazz bass...Whatever! It holds up fine...

Got bass?

Has anyone tried curing GAS? Yes. My wife.

She's damned effective at it, too. :D

Actually, she's very cool, & bought me what is now my #1 bass (first new bass I've ever owned). But yeah, a mortgage & 3 kids on an educator's income, expensive repairs for old cars...there are indeed cures out there.

Archived