Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CMDN Brings Mean Ether To NYC

The Bear Jew

Alright...

Spam alert, ya pricks.

Quit yer whining, it's from me...

I'm coming to NYC this Friday.

You can watch me play bass with my Brit-Pop band, Mean Ether, and make fun of the way I chew on picks onstage. It'll be a friggin' riot.

Where: Don Hill's Spring & Greenwich (Soho)

When: Friday, Aug. 8, 8:30pm

Cover: I have no idea.

Tom "Shecky The Slidey-Chair" Capasso has RSVP'd already with an offer to tote gear and heckle with bad jokes about my hair. Anyone else coming?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YAY!!

Ben's coming... With Senor Slidey...

Oh crap...

I just realized I invited an entire forum of GOOD bassists to my bass-playing gig... which means my mediocre playing will be on display for all to giggle about. Hope you like crap, Ben... 'cause that's what I'm serving up.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Erik,

I wrote to a bunch of NY-area folks about upcoming events (including Mrs Grundy on Aug 22). If you live in the area and haven't gotten one of my little gig-notes, write to me and threaten bodily harm, and I'll put you on the list. Likewise if you have something coming up that I haven't mentioned...

Now hold on there just a minute. I've listened to that Mean Ether album. Sure - the musical style isn't Jaco meets Wooten (or I probably wouldn't be listening to it - Slidey ducks as Bump throws a chair and screams "you're fired!").

But you aren't blowing chunks there my friend, so cut the "I' mediocre" stuff. Besides - it's all about image anyway (Slidey ducks again..).

Looking forward to a busy weekend - Mean Ether Friday, my band plays Saturday, and my coffee house thing is waking up for a 4:00 thing on Sunday. hope I'm still married after all that...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

(including Mrs Grundy on Aug 22).
As stupid luck would have it, I'm actually going to be playing with two bands at the Le Bar Bat on the 22nd.

Mrs. Grundy and I will be shredding everyone's eardrums at 8:00pm. Then at 9:30, I'll be getting in touch with my sensitive side accompanying acoustic singer-songwriter Jeremy Borer.

But you aren't blowing chunks there my friend, so cut the "I'm mediocre" stuff. Besides - it's all about image anyway (Slidey ducks again..).

Thanks... and you're right...

I AM pretty.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Sorry Bastid... Actually, my plan worked... I was specifically hoping to avoid you because I feel fat this week, and I want to make a good impression on you. Too much info?

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Sure, Wewus.. no problem...

I'm assuming you'll be traveling first class on Quantas, since they've never crashed?

BTW, Avy says hi... and to quit staring at her boobs.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Yes, yes...

So true.

What was the question again?

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Last night, Tom and I saw Mean Ether at the infamous Don Hill's.

We were greeted by Erik with massive bear hugs, chatted a little bit, and met his bandmates. Kind and professional gentlemen all around.

Unlike Erik, who had been kind enough to listen to some Grundy samples on our website, I had not heard a note of Cottonmouth DN nor Mean Ether before I came out to hear them. Therefore, I had no idea what to expect from the endeavors of this dreadlocked gentleman...although reading what he's said on this board gave me hopes that I would hear something good.

From the moment they hit their first few chords I was impressed. Strong, strong tunes.

Singer/guitarist Jason Straub's stratospheric vocals and massive-sounding overdriven Gibson SG were powerful and sensitive simultaneously. Erik's rock solid pick-driven basslines had me bobbin' my head and smiling...while the drummer, Drew Erickson, slammed out a bottomless pocket that welded those tunes to the fucking floor. I dug it. Especially when Tom climbed onstage to sing backup on the last tune... :D

Unfortunately, the pleasure lasted only 30 minutes...after which Mean Ether had to relinquish the stage to the next band (yes, the New York showcase club cattle call was in full effect that night). The next band, was, shall we say, not as enjoyable.

So we then went outside and proceeded to have a nice coversation that touched upon many things we've discussed on the forum here regarding taste and humility in front of the Almighty Tune (Praise the Tune!). We also took some pictures of Tom biting Erik on the arm.

Then a really drunk girl tried to get a light off of Drew's cigarette and, in a wonderful bit of alcohol-dampened coordination, nearly burned her face off in the process.

I bought Mean Ether's CD, and Erik gave me a complimentary copy of Cottonmouth DN's album. Talk about variety...Cottonmouth blew my head off this morning when I popped the CD into my stereo after I woke up. Good thing I wasn't hung over. :D

All in all, a pleasurable experience. Hope to catch Cottonmouth DN when you guys come back to the city, Erik. Perhaps you may be seeing Grundy around Philly at some point as well. :thu:

:idea:POST THE PICTURES!!!! :idea:
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

It was a great night!! Ben and I were there early. This was no surprise given the traffic in the NYC area on a Friday in the summer - Mean Ether had losts of time to check out the tiles in the Holland Tunnel. It was great to catch up with Ben on the various goings on in our bands and our life. Ben is such a cool guy to hang with.

Ben and I did little roadie work for the load-in because only band members were allowed in the door at that point (some rather large fellows were nice about it, but we weren't going to argue). It wasn't bad, because Don Hills has a decent backline in place. Avy was along for the ride, and she is a hard-working gal. We did help with the load-out, and got to try out Erik's P bass on the street. It's very smooth, and mostly stock (pearl inlay knobs and black tape over the Fender name).

I had bought the Mean Ether CD, and liked most of it. I'd been singing along in the car. Sometimes I'd sing the harmony that was there, sometimes I'd add my own - I'd told Erik this, and he said "we'll get you up for one". It's their show, so I thought he was being nice - I knew Drew sang most of the harmony from behind the kit. I spent the whole show singing from the floor and bopping (I couldn't call it dancing) around, nodding my head to the beat and doing some air instruments at the accents. On the last song, Erik saw me with my mouth open and motioned me up to the stage (Ben happened to be checking out the merchandise table at the time). So up I went. It took Ben a minute to find me when he came back. The best was the guitarist Jason. He sings with his eyes closed sometimes, but I saw his head snap when there was unexpected harmony in his monitor.

It was the kind of song that has an outro given to some riffs, and I got to stand next to Erik and watch him throw some great runs. Not great because they were 64th notes in some interesting scale, but great because they were a perfect fit.

We had a great time hanging out outside. Erik and I told stories, talked philosophy, and did some people-watching. His nail polish was a bit chipped, but he was in fine form. I miss talking to him already. Avy and Drew were a blast also, and watching Avy smack Erik (I think mostly for the fun of it) was fun. I was glad she didn't smack me !!

Thanks to Ben for a great review (I'm with you on your band comments - well done).

Thanks to Erik, Drew, Jason, and Avy for the visit!!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey gang...

Just adding my $.02...

Leaving Philly in Jason's parents' Saturn Vue around 5:30pm, I had a feeling we were gonna be late for our 7:30 load-in, but I also figured it really wouldn't matter much. See, we don't really need to load in and then wait around for an hour before we play... that's just silliness. Besides, we were only bringing a minimal amount of gear, anyway - Jason's Fender Deville, his SG and pedalboard, drum hardware and cymbals, and my bass with assorted crap. So we knew set up wouldn't be too time-consuming. However, Jason is a worry wart (it's part of his charm), and he was kinda freaking for the entire drive, thinking we'd miss our set. I kept telling him that would never happen, but ya know... some folks like to worry.

Anyhoo... the PA turnpike was empty... ditto the Jersey TPK.. for a while... then... gridlock for about 45 minutes... then smooth sailing.... right up to the tunnel... and then... fucking gridlock again. Poor Jason was beside himself... and he had to pee, too. As did I...

We finally got into the city itself, and guess what? More gridlock and confusing traffic patterns. We arrived at Don Hill's around 8:15... 15 minutes before our scheduled set time.

Directly outside of the club's velvet rope (more like a naugahyde rope) were two folks who looked vaguely familiar... A thin, bearded gent and a stockier, goateed fella who stood close by each other, laughing about a private joke of some sort... These, of course, were none other than our very own Tom "Da Chair" Capasso and Ben Loy.

They're sweet guys... friendly, articulate dudes with ready smiles who listen and respond to conversation animatedly and energetically. Tom tried to bite me... I can't blame him for that. I've been asking for it.

But we had very little time to screw around, since time was a'wastin'. Quick as a flash, we loaded onto the stage and set up. The sound guy made some kinda joke about the club hosting an unbroken chain of good bands from Philly, to which I responded, "Man, looks like we'll break that chain tonight."

Set up was quick, and (as I guessed) we had extra time to hang out while the club started to admit patrons.

The bass rig is an Ampeg 8x10 cab powered by a GK 800 something-or-other, all covered with a generous coating of requisite NYC club grime... ick. I plugged in, dialed in a basic tone, checked my tuning... and we were off to the races.

I think the set went well. The songs felt great, and I was laughing at Drew (the drummer) a lot of the time... because that's what I do when we're having fun.

After introducing our last song ("Coming Home") as "a tune written for us by David Allan Coe," I noticed "Da Chair" was singing along... So I motioned him onstage.

Lemme tell you all something... Our man Shecky can SING. He was bustin' out the high harmonies like a PRO. Nice.

After the set, we broke down the gear as the soundguy (who did a great job, BTW) told us we had kept the "Philly Chain" unbroken.) Nice of him to say so...

Tom & Ben helped us load off the stage w/Avy (the roadette), and we watched the next band for a minute... um.. yeah... not good.

So off we went to the street to hang out and check out the Soho wildlife... lemme say this... There are a LOT of fucking HOT women in that frickin' town!

Ben, Tom and I hung out, watched the Vue get a ticket and generally talked a lot about stuff pertaining to music and life... it was really cool. And yeah, Avy kept hitting me... ya know how the girls in kindergarten like to toture the boys they like? Yeah... um... that had nothing to do with the way she was hitting me... She was just being Avy. Silly girl.

After a while, Tom & Ben had to split, so I bid them farewell and gathered our troops so we could vacate. Jason was kinda ticked about the parking ticket ($100!), but he'll live... Traffic was pretty mellow on the way home, and we hit the world's nastiest rest stop on the Jersey Turnpike (I think it's the Thomas Edison stop?) for burgers... absolutely gross! I couldn't even use the bathroom... I'm actually suprised that there was even a semi-clean place to sit and eat!

After that, the drive home was mostly Jason singing along with Radiohead, Drew snoring and me snoozing on Avy's ample bosom. Hey, if she hits me, I get to sleep on the boobs... that's the rule.

I think we were home by 3:30 AM.

Fun times.

Thanks to Tom and Ben for kickin' it with us. Hope I didn't use the F-word too many times for you guys.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Hey folks -

I used my daughter's digital camera that fateful night in NYC...

Here's a shot of Avy The Roadette, Erik, and BenLoy. I think Avy was just about to hit Erik (along with everything else he does, he sometimes serves as Avy's punching bag).

ftp://tomcapasso:1585450@ftp.tripod.com/MeanEther/me08w.jpg

Here's Erik finding a novel use for all that hair

ftp://tomcapasso:1585450@ftp.tripod.com/MeanEther/me11w.jpg

And finally, after years of threats back and forth, I finally bit him!

ftp://tomcapasso:1585450@ftp.tripod.com/MeanEther/me09w.jpg

Between this thread and my "long weekend" thread, I forgot to tell you that I got to NYC early for Erik's show. So I went up to Rudy's on 48th and got my hands on a Pensa J and a Ritter 4 thru a Fafner 600 and Berg 322 & Berg 2x12. All were excellent! It was a difficult way to kill the time...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Dipping in the GAS pool again, Slidey-Chair?! :eek:;)

Nah Nah - I played a Ritter...

Yeah - that's a pool I never get too far from...

The bill for my CD-GT1 came in, and my wife said "you bought that expensive bass, then another bass, then a case, now this - so I guess your done". We had an "interesting" discussion because (like an idiot) I laughed. I explained that I'd put my own money up for most of the recent purchases (which she knew). But I still need an amp - we just don't have any way to pay for it now.... And another Berg 112, and...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Oh my god, Tom...

Those pics make me look like a fat, dreadlocked, 30-something dork....

Oh wait...

Nevermind.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Archived