Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings on peaveys

Invincible

A while back I got myself a peavey fury V bass. Problem is it's about time for a restring and I would really like to restring it with the same type of strings as when I bought it, so I was hoping someone would know if all peaveys were strung with the same type of strings after being made before being sold. And if so, so they also happen to know what kind of strings they were.

This will probably seem like a really stupid question to all the better informed lowdowners and I apologize, (I know very little).

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We call those "placeholder" strings. I personally hate them, and I suspect most of the guys here do too.

There are many discussions over string preference. Each of us have our favorite...and I've never seen anybody say they like the brand the bass came with.

On the other hand, you may desire the "feel" of the original string. For that, you need to know guage, core diameter, metal content and construction.

Take the smallest and largest string off the bass, go to your local music store. The guy should be able to match it on sight. If not, maybe he could measure it with calipers.

Peavey does sell a line of strings...I imagine if you bought a set with the same guage (that's the most important thing) you'd be pretty happy.

If it were me, I'd buy DR HiBeams.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Thanks for the information, while we're on the subject perhaps someone could also suggest the best type of string I could use. Considering the fact that I play in a pretty hard rock band, is there a type of string best suited to that genre or am I just best off trying out lots of different types and seeing what I like best?

contrary to dBB, i actually really liked the strings that came on my squier affinity P. they sounded very fenderish and lasted quite a long time.

and if i may defend my employer, i think peavey does use good strings out of the factory. the grind NTB 5 that i have still has factory strings on it, and they still sound really good.

but really, addix got it right -- the only way to know is to try them, and if they sound like you want, then they're the right strings. (that holds true for almost every piece of gear you could own.)

robb.

Was I meant to get a copy of that manual when I bought my bass?

Next question... I feel like giving those bass boomers a try. But in the 3 guitar shops that are convniently close to me I've only seen one or two makes of strings there. If someone could suggest a decent Uk based online string retailer I would be most greatful.

Originally posted by Invincible:

Was I meant to get a copy of that manual when I bought my bass?

Next question... I feel like giving those bass boomers a try. But in the 3 guitar shops that are convniently close to me I've only seen one or two makes of strings there. If someone could suggest a decent Uk based online string retailer I would be most greatful.

If you click on the word "manual" in my other post, it'll take you to the .PDF on Peavey's site. I don't know whether you should have recieved one, but it'd be the same anyway. You can download it and print as you see fit.

There are some good basic care tips in there, and some setup stuff (string height, truss rod, etc) that are worth reading if you don't know much about it.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Archived