Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Jazz Reissue Neck Question

theqstring

Hi

A buddy has offered to sell me his '83 Fender Jazz bass w/ a '62 reissue neck.

- will the neck be able to withstand my playing? I play super aggressive and sometimes really fast. Basically, is it strong enough and not too thick?

- with the age of the bass...20 years...it should have a better sound (in theory) than a newly made bass, right?

- I am unable to give it a test spin...cause its in a diff. state.

- Anything I should be concerned with??

Otherwise it looks great and isnt a fortune.

Thanks for your help!

V

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 83'-62' reissue jazz and I love the neck It has a rosewood fingerboard and should hold up to agressive playing.

However, just because an instrument is old(er)doesn't mean that it will sound better than a new one.

If you feel that it is a good buy I say go for it, you can modify it later if you need to.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by theqstring:

Hi

A buddy has offered to sell me his '83 Fender Jazz bass w/ a '62 reissue neck.

- will the neck be able to withstand my playing? I play super aggressive and sometimes really fast. Basically, is it strong enough and not too thick?

- with the age of the bass...20 years...it should have a better sound (in theory) than a newly made bass, right?

- I am unable to give it a test spin...cause its in a diff. state.

- Anything I should be concerned with??

Otherwise it looks great and isnt a fortune.

Thanks for your help!

V

What do you mean by super aggressive? Like O.J. Simpson kind of aggressive, or just Roger Clemens type of aggressive? :)

Seriously though, what are you doing to your bass that you would have that be a concern?

You may want to consider this: Kramer Metal-Neck

20 years ago, they made crappy sounding basses just like today. Wood ages, settles, and, in theory, should sound better as time passes. However, there are varying theories relating to this. The more popular theories assume the instrument will "age" if played consistently with amplification. Your assumption is a serious generalization.

I think Mike Tobias wrote a column in Bass Player a couple of years ago that discussed aging of instruments. It went in depth about the "science" of aging.

Although I don't think basses are like certain wines, this Tobias article seems interesting... could anyone pretty please fish out this article and write it here? Or a link, or anything! Sounds extremely interesting.
In Skynyrd We Trust

I have an '87 MIJ 62 re-issue and the neck is great. One of our horn players is a bass player too and claims mine is the best jazz neck he's ever held; to the point of seriously considering working a swap for his original 54 p-bass.

I have a '75 MIJ reissue, which has a thinner neck than a '62. For about two years, I played aggressive heavy rock on it with .055-.080-.100-.115 strings and the action jacked up about a quarter inch off the neck. The neck never budged, and that's with a 3-screw heel. You'll be just fine, my friend.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

I have a '75 MIJ reissue, which has a thinner neck than a '62. For about two years, I played aggressive heavy rock on it with .055-.080-.100-.115 strings and the action jacked up about a quarter inch off the neck. The neck never budged, and that's with a 3-screw heel. You'll be just fine, my friend.

Damn, dude! Makes my exploits look like a piece of cake. Then again...I've been playing more dance dates recently, and the most aggressive thing I do there is slapping bass on some of the disco tunes, and even that's not much. .040-.100's my standard gauge for bass.

Oh well, just don't knock the bass around like a baseball bat, I guess. ;)

Yup. It nearly snapped my wrists, but it sounded goooooood. I'm a little less carried away with my setup these days, but Stevie Ray Vaughn knew what makes a great tone: fat strings and high action. It'll cripple us mortal men to play that way all the time.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

For about two years, I played aggressive heavy rock on it with .055-.080-.100-.115 strings and the action jacked up about a quarter inch off the neck.

Jesus, that's inhuman. Seriously, watch for permanent damage... that's got to hurt.

Archived