Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Amp / Combo to test a bass...

Ren.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one of those GK amps....I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. I think there might have been something wrong though.

Usually, I plug into the Mesa 1x15 combo they have set up in there. That thing kicks.....I wish they had my Carvin 2x10 combo there,that way I could try it with my actual amp.

when i was in reno, NV, i got to play an eden head through a bergantino HT112. i was using a musicman sterling.

that is exactly how i want to sound. i had so much control and so many different sounds. it was awesome.

i'm usually not too concerned with what i play through -- i usually end up playing enough of the same basses through different amps, i get a feel for them all.

robb.

I would try to use something that is similar to what you have. but generally I play a bass through a few different amps. I usually play through SWR and Ampeg because everyone has them. set the tone controls flat and see how it sounds out of the two. the SWR will be a real true bass sound and the ampeg will add some color to it. if it sounds great through both then you have a winner.

If I'm seriously looking for equipment, be it a bass or some part of my amp rig, I'll take all the other pieces I'd be using to the store. I've taken in cabinet stacks to try out amps.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

As others have already said, I try to use something as close to my amp/cab as possible. Like Wally said, if I'm truly preparing to pruchase (not simply try out) an instrument, I will want to use my amp (or the exact same brand and model, if the store has it).

The same goes for testing amps that I'm seriously considering for purchase -- I bring my bass to the store.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by CowbellAllen:

I tried one of those GK amps....I couldn't get a sound I liked out of it. I think there might have been something wrong though.

Couldn't agree more with you on that! It sounds weird. There's no punch. I even used it once in a concert and it sounded like a bunch of farts comingo out of that speakers. :eek::freak:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

I usually check out a bass acoustically (unplugged) for a good bit before I plug it in. After that, I pick the small-ish combo, which usually annoys salespeople that want to plug you into a SVT stack. I figure I'm checking out the bass, not the amp. When I check out amps, I either pull of passive Jazz off the wall or bring my ax. Effects, it doesn't matter. I don't buy in the store, I purchase online and return them if I don't like them.

I haven't bought anything in the past 5 years from someplace without a return policy, so I don't bother to lug my gear in.

I agree with the majority here, usually I plug into a GK something RB because I'm familiar with the controls. I'll also plug into a basic amp, like an SVT. If I'm very serious and they don't have a setup that simulate's my rig, I'll drag my gear in, play through it with a long cord, and walk back as far as possible from the rig.

"Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."

--Henry David Thoreau

Archived