Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Awesome bass maker

Thomas Wilburn

ebony with frets has a nice rich tone. when it is finished properly it has a very smooth surface and allows for faster playing. i love the slap tone it gives also. once again it is very durable. what do you like for fret board? why? what do you think about Wish Bass?
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wish Bass...makes me think of that old Blues Brothers tune, "Rubber Biscuit": a Wish Sandwich is when you have two slices of bread, and you wish you had some meat. If you got a Wish Bass, I wonder what you'd wish you had... :D

No flames! It's all in fun, eh! :P

Originally posted by orphan wells:

OK. I have been talking to the Wish bass guy through e mail. i came up with everything i want in my next bass:

5 string, 35 1/4 scale, 24 frets, 5 piece wenge/maple neck with graphite and trussrod, ebony fretboard, custom body shape(not too complex), crotch walnut one piece body, passive neck and bridge EMG's with with aguilar OPB-3 on-board preamp, and a custom string-in-line headstock.

i think that's all. anyway, he gave me a price of $500. If i provide the pickups and preamp. I can't help but to be scared of paying that litte for thoes specs on a bass. Anyone else see something weird here?

It's obvious you still believe this guy has the skills to provide a usable bass. I don't believe that.

I mean...he's building funky stuff...it's a joke, really.

I've yet to see anyone using one of his basses in concert. I'd have to speak to some users before I: bought hardware, paid half up front, agreed to a no return policy.

You know, that "no Return" policy is really problematic. Can you imagine Fender doing business that way? I mean...even the cheapest Fender can be returned.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I'm not interested in buying one of his basses. I was just testing him to see what he would charge and see what he was capable of. To me, it seems that one of his basses would be the same as any one of us reading a few books and trying to build a bass ourself. I don't want to criticize the guy. I have never tried one of his basses and I don't know anyone who has, so for all i know the could be like a Jerzy Drozd or a Ritter, but I'm not holding my breath.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

The fingerboards on the two Peavey Cirrus basses I play (fretted and fretless) are both pau ferro. I haven't played enough other basses extensively to articulate a marked difference. I just knew that ebony was a harder wood, which is why it is usually a pricier option for fretless instruments.

There are a few of these basses on ebay right now...one directly from the maker, one left-handed one, and one which looks to be an incredible bargain, if you can call buying one of these things at any price a bargain.

Let's just admit what these basses are: they are folk art. The maker has woodworking skills but is operating completely outside the tradition of luthery. It seems he has learned some of the lingo of luthery to advertise his products. However, he seems to be working a little too fast to really pay attention to details.

I'm amazed at the number of people for whom $300 is a trivial amount to spend. There are huge numbers of things that I would spend that amount of money on before getting to one of these basses. (and I do have a serious case of GAS).

I also have spent money on folk art from around the world and have it on display on my walls and mantelpiece. Some of these are instruments and they are not meant to be played, they are meant to be displayed.

Although my Shofar (ram's horn from Israel) can be played (just not by me) and my Gankogui (cowbell type instrument from the Ewe Tribe of Ghana) can definitely be played. I studied percussion for a while with a master drummer from that tribe.

When I get a bigger mantelpiece (which means I have to win a Powerball jackpot), I'll hang a Wishbass up there.

But I will buy a Warrior or an MTD to play every day. And I'll have Mike Lull make me a few more basses as well.

Archived