Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Line6 Bass Pod

Lawnmower8

I'm looking at DI boxes, and I keep coming across the Line6 Bass Pod.

Yes, I know it's much more than a DI box, with all of the amp and cabinet modelers.

Does anyone here use a Pod, and would you recommend it? Are the modeled sounds really worth it, or would you rather have other effects pedals?

What about plain old regular DI boxes, or ones with distortion?

Thanks.

I play a 1990 American Jazz Fender through a Hartke 3500 head and Avatar B210 cab (brand new, love it). Looking for a good DI box for live and for recording into my Tascam 564 digital 4track. I don't use effects live, but it would be fun to mess around with them in recording bass and other instruments.

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recorded more than two album's worth of material using nothing but my P-bass and a Bass Pod. Totally reliable, no miking needed, always sounded great. Used it live once... it was ok, but I would have preferred an amp.

For home recording and quiet practicing, it's a great thing to have. As a live DI... eh... maybe not.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I agree with CMDN. I've had my bass POD for about a year and a half and use it for recording and practice. It has great sounds sound and is very clean. As far as a direct box, unless you want to spring for the rack mount version ($599 vs. $349 for the table top version), it doesn't have balanced outs. So if you're looking for a DI with xlr or balanced outs you're not getting it. Check out the Tech 21 SansAmp ($189). It's a nice DI for bass.

Actually, a Bass POD DOES have balanced outs; they are 1/4" TRS and not XLR, so they look like garden-variety unbalanced TS outs.

To quote from the Bass POD Manual: "Amp Model and DI Outputs. . .These are 1/4" TRS Balanced connections, ready to rock with pro +4dBu balanced equipment."

I don't think they make that very clear on the web page, and it's not easy to find in the manual (it's on page 2-2) and there is no index. But they are definitely balanced outs.

Bruiser

By the way, mpbass, I'm sorry to disagree with you on that, but I've learned a lot about the Bass POD by reading the the Line6 discussion groups and searching on various topics. I've probably read through the manual cover-to-cover three times, and I'm still learning. I wasn't sure about the balanced outs, I had to go search, and then go page by page through the book to get confirmation. I love the Bass POD, and hate the manual.

Bruiser

Yes, one of my reservations with the BassPOD is the complexity, the seeming lack of intuitiveness using the thing, and the fact that it's not a very practical stage unit. However, complexity can be good when you actually take advantage of the range of options. I've love to get the rackmount version with a floor pedal control unit. But, funds are limited.

The rack mount version is probably out of my price range anyway.

However, I wonder if the BassPOD itself would be better than investing in 2 other devices (say, a SansAmp DI box and an effects box/rackmount/pedal).

I'd say I've never needed a stage DI box because my Hartke head has an XLR out, and alot of clubs have DI boxes.

Whereas, for home recording (especially using a 4track), I want a better bass sound than I get trying to either mic the Avatar cab with a Shure sm-58, or run direct into the Tascam from the Hartke.

I've played around with the Line6 in stores, and I love some of the sounds. But it does seem like it's confusing to use at best...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Hmmm...

I never found the Pod to be confusing... Once you get the basics down, getting good sounds is pretty simple.

You CAN get crazy with it, though, but that's not always the best idea if you want a simple, tasty bass tone.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Lawnmower8:

Yes, one of my reservations with the BassPOD is the complexity, the seeming lack of intuitiveness using the thing

:confused: It's such a simple device, very intuitive. That's the beauty of it. All the features (unless you want to use the software to edit on a computer) are simply layed out and visible, EQ, gain, volume, compressor, effects, cabinets, models.

Sorry, I used the wrong wording. I was trying to say that if you want balanced xlr (like a DI box) you won't get it in the table top version. My point was that you'll still need to get some type of xlr DI box if that's your goal. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with most of the comments above. If you're into recording, I'd recommend you the BassPOD. I mean, I have one and I record a lot. It's great. For live? I don't like it. I usually plug the bass on a good amp. :evil:

You seem to have some good gear... :thu:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by mpbass:

Sorry, I used the wrong wording. I was trying to say that if you want balanced xlr (like a DI box) you won't get it in the table top version. My point was that you'll still need to get some type of xlr DI box if that's your goal. Sorry for the confusion.

Nope. The Bass PODs outputs are balanced. All you need to do is use a 1/4" TRS to male XLR cable instead of a regular instrument cable.

Did a quick search on eBay, and I see that there are different models for the BassPOD as well...

There's the original, the xt, and the xt Pro, with varying specs...

That's with the Guitar POD, isn't it? There's no XT version for the BassPOD yet. Or is it? :confused: I know theres a Pro version of BassPOD. Very good looking.

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by MontieuX RelocateD:

That's with the Guitar POD, isn't it? There's no XT version for the BassPOD yet. Or is it? :confused:
The Bass POD XT and Bass POD Pro XT are coming out soon. If you go on the www.line6.com website you can read the press release. 6 simultaneous effects, more output options, new amp models.

Who knows how it will sound. I'm so happy with the regular Bass POD that I doubt I will want one.

• 3 weeks later...
I've got a Bass Pod Pro in my studio. I have some bass players plug in and they have a great sound. Then I have other other players come in and it sounds like crap. Real distorted on the low end side. We end up having to track with a bass amp. Could it be thier bass guitar or there playing style? We tryed everything before we gave up and turned an amp on.

For thoes who know, will the basspod work as a preamp into a power amp? I know of one for sale locally and i was looking at it the other day. IT's the rackmount version and it dose some cool things and if i can use it as a preamp then i'll get it.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

I've only heard good things about the bass pod (even from guitarists who say its better than the guitar one) so now for the stupid question:

What does it actually do apart from emulate amp sounds?

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Originally posted by Afro_boy:

I've only heard good things about the bass pod (even from guitarists who say its better than the guitar one) so now for the stupid question:

What does it actually do apart from emulate amp sounds?

Nic

It has a selection of effects and cab models.

Bruiser

I just received the latest Musicians Friend catalog and they have it on sale for 249.99. Sounds like a good deal to me unless you can find it cheaper on ebay.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for a good BassPOD...

Do any BassPOD users here recommend the basic unit or the rackmount, one over the other?

I probably don't need a footswitch if I'm only going to use it for recording...

Anyone else care to chime in about this product?

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

I have the rack mount version I purchased it for recording as well as live use.

For recording I've found the analogue out sounds better than the digital, doesn't make sense but I find the digital out to be rather lifeless in comparison.

For live use I was really pissed off that the output control doesn't effect the balanced out level I was under the impression that it did but that's my fault for not researching it more; my idea was to use it to drive a power amp and cabs as well as DI into the PA.

So I guess what I'm saying is save your money and don't buy the rackmount version. For live use all you need to do is make or purchase a TRS to XLR for feeding the PA.

PS it does sound pretty darn good and you get a few different flavors in one unit.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought and sold a line 6 bass pod pro, and found it to be a pretty nasty, honky sounding unit.

I have owned and used a lot of rack gear for bass and, to be fair, have not found too many units I have fallen in love with. I found most of the settings to be pretty awful, with only a few nice factory presets amongst them. Amongst the effects the synthy filter effects were fun but the choruses and flangers were way below par compared to the units they were supposedly modelling. The distortions combined with the programming interface meant that it was pretty easy for a first time user to take out their speakers with about 40db of extra gain, whilst the mutron setting was so quiet it was unusable.

One of the biggest drawbacks with this unit is once your've programmed a sound, when you go to edit that sound again you have no idea of what setting the knobs were at when you programmed it in the first place.

The inherent flaw in thinking that produces bizzare units like this is that by making a rack multi effects/preamp with rotary knobs on the front and calling the preset algorythms by the names of amps/speakers and stomp boxes that somehow this will have all the technophobes out there cueing up to buy one. If I wanted a unit to

sound like an ampeg SVT with 8x10 cabinet, I'd buy exactly that, and it would sound a hell of a lot more like it than any line 6 emulation.

In terms of considering the bass pod pro without the titling hyperbole, I was astounded that it only has 36 user presets (my ADA preamp has 256)

and all effects parameters were accessable by a knob called "tweek". If you compare the bass pod to other rack mounted effects units rather than amps/speakers and stomp boxes i.e apples with apples, you will find it to be more complex to program/edit with fewer user definable parameters and ultimately a damn sight harder to get a good sound out of.

I really, really wanted one of these units because high end rack gear specifically designed for bass is so light on the ground these days, I had such high hopes that this unit was going to be everything I was looking for....

until I bought one.

Originally posted by Jezza:

One of the biggest drawbacks with this unit is once your've programmed a sound, when you go to edit that sound again you have no idea of what setting the knobs were at when you programmed it in the first place.

I haven't owned any gear in this class. I have messed around with a few programmable pedals (including the venerable BP-8). What became instantly clear to me was the need to take notes when you program - to keep an updated list of all the parameters on each patch.

I hope for the day when a small screen-based system is available (used with a cheapo laptop or palm lets say), where everything about a patch is displayed on the screen all at once. Then you could click on the parameter you want to change (e.g. reverb amount, or chorus depth) and adjust that parameter. Are there boxes like that out now? If so, they cost more than I want to spend. But I have an old laptop at home that I could use....

Sorry for the rant

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom,

I don't have a Bass POD - I use a SAnsAmp Bass Driver for recording - but I do have a g****r POD. The Soundiver software that comes with it is pretty good and lets you do pretty much what you wished for. It also gives you access to things you can't do on the unit itself.

Maybe there's a version of Soundiver for the Bass POD?

--------------------

Dave O.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't purchased one... would like to fool around with one first before making an investment...

I have a Tascam 564 digital 4track, a Fender Jazz, a Hartke 3500 head, an Avatar B210 cab, and some SM-58 mics. I can get a decent recording sound by miking the amp, but I'd like to get a better direct sound, in addition to applying some bass effects.

I'd love to see a software-only version of the BassPOD to load into my Dell or Mac. I have an old version of Cakewalk which I don't use because I don't have a device to convert the 1/4 inch instrument cable to a computer connection.

Any suggestions?

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Still haven't purchased one... would like to fool around with one first before making an investment...

I have a Tascam 564 digital 4track, a Fender Jazz, a Hartke 3500 head, an Avatar B210 cab, and some SM-58 mics. I can get a decent recording sound by miking the amp, but I'd like to get a better direct sound, in addition to applying some bass effects.

I'd love to see a software-only version of the BassPOD to load into my Dell or Mac. I have an old version of Cakewalk which I don't use because I don't have a device to convert the 1/4 inch instrument cable to a computer connection.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't your Hartke head have both a line out and a DI? All you need is a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

The POD's a nice-sounding unit. If you set it on it's "Acoustic 360" setting and overdrive it, it breaks up in the same manner that a real one would. That impressed me.

I'd never buy one, though...I'd rather spend my time practicing than tweaking knobs and saving presets when I could be copping Nathan Watts' overdriven sound on "I Wish" (just turn your amp up to 11 :D )...especially since most of your sound comes from your hands, anyway.

Archived