Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Parker Fly Bass

Gord -B

Hi, i've used the search function and found two threads on this guitar. Has anyone really sat and got to grips with this bass? what are your educated opinions on it?

cheers, Gord -

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played a 5 string Parker bass for a good half hour at BassNW a while ago. I wasn't a fan. The body shape is uncomfortable (for me) to sit down and play it. The tonal variations one could achieve were interesting, but I couldn't get a sound that a really liked out of it. Maybe it was the amp. You won't catching me GASing for one of these things anytime soon.

Originally posted by dcr:

Gotta admit, though, that it's the best looking axe this side of a Bongo Bass!! :D

Ha! Nice. But come on, Bass Player's review pretty much said it was the best bass ever, didn't it?

Interesting topic regarding asthetics.

I still love the asthetics of my Warwicks (I like them, especially my Thumb 5 NT, but they can keep their Dolphin!). I love a classic Fender Jazz COPY (Sadowsky/Lull), especially that blue with white pickguard, maple board, and chrome hardware. I also liked the look of that Pedulla Rapture, very classy. Oh, and the small Roscoe basses are slick.

All of that said, if you give me a dried turd with 5 strings that has a killer tone and is playable, I'd be happy to take it.

I have a natural 5 string. The finish and the detail on the bass is beautiful. The body is concave on the back and is not of a uniform thickness. It's more like a sculpture than a bass body. The tonal variety is impressive. I've only had it for about 6 weeks and am still blending and discovering new varieties. The feel of the neck really sold me on this instrument. This is my first 5 string and the medium close spacing of the strings combined with a thin neck fits my hand well. The uniformity of sound over the entire fingerboard is a plus. The B string is also very solid with D'addario light gauge slow wounds. I have to agree with the Bass Player review about the comfort factor when played standing. It does poke you a bit. I play mostly sitting down and it's easy to find a comfortable position with almost perfect balance. I have two other basses. A 1957 Fender Precision with a maple neck and a 1996 G&L L2000 with a thin neck and an ebony fingerboard. I wanted a 5 string to sort of fit in between those two and the Parker fits very well.

• 8 years later...

Archived