Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tired of strippin' pickup adjustment screws

fig

I have the EMG Select for Jazz Bass pickups Click here for picture, second from top . The pickups are installed on top of some foam sitting in the pickup cavity, and adjusted by four screws, per pickup, which are screwed into the wood. A pain in the ass to adjust pickups and a bitch for stripping screws.

Is there an adapter or assembly that can be used to mount these pickups in, to make pickup height and angle adjustments easier? Maybe you have your own method you've devised to get away from this foam/screws in the wood way of doing this, which I'd love to hear. Pissed me off as I stripped two screws today.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way cool, I got this under control.

I looked thru the Stewart Mcdonald catalog to see if they had anything useful. I saw this spring in their catalog, but found a suitable one at the hardware store, in a kit to repair faucets.

I put the spring in the middle of the pickup cavity, placed the pickup on top, and screwed in the remaining non-stripped screws.

I now have more up and down movement, and better tilting movement for the pickups. Whenever I change strings, I always re-do the entire setup, but setting string volume and balance was a bitch, as I'd usually strip out a screw head. Now I can set the bridge and neck pickups to the same volume and easily adjust string to string balance.

Life is good. Just wanted to share this idea for those of you who may want a way to get more adjustment play from your pickups.

Thanks for the idea! My Toby will someday be defretted and have other improvements... maybe a string-thru bridge, maybe a Hipshot D-Tuner.

The pickups are mounted on rubber, and I have heard of adding more rubber from an old computer mouse pad to thicken the pad and raise them. But I like your idea of replacing it with a spring.

On the stripped screws, could you use brass inserts?

- Matt W.

Yeah Nub-bass, I want to find some inserts to put in the bottom of the pickup cavity. That would be ideal! I'm still in the process of trying to locate some. I'm thinking hardware stores, hobby stores, craft stores. I looked in Stewart Mcdonald and Allparts catalogues, but no inserts. Plenty of replacement screws, which I'll probably order today, after checking two music shops around here.

Archived