Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg SVT Pro 4 head vs Mesa Pulse 600

57pbass

I played both of these heads over the weekend and liked the both of them. If you had to choose between the two which head would you go for?

I played the Ampeg through an SVT 8 x 10 cab and the Mesa through 4 x 10 and single 15 Mesa cabinets

www.danielprine.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by 57pbass:

I played both of these heads over the weekend and liked the both of them. If you had to choose between the two which head would you go for?

I played the Ampeg through an SVT 8 x 10 cab and the Mesa through 4 x 10 and single 15 Mesa cabinets

All things equal, I'd pick the Mesa setup, even if just for the portability. I'm not a fan of Ampeg's solid-state amps. Plus, an 8x10" cab looks silly in a small venue.

• 4 months later...

Well...I am a longtime Ampeg stack user. Everytime I change to something new I run right back to my trusty Ampeg SVT 2 Pro and 810 cab. I just sold it all and went with a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 and two Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab's. I do beleive that there is nothing even close to the Ampeg stack BUT, the weight of the thing and my age have gotten to me plus I like having a cab (HLF) on each side of the drummer. The M-Pulse is great but I am still struggling to find my tone. I know it's there but the Semi Parametric eq is touchy compared to the graphic eq on the Ampegs.

Be careful with the Mesa if you are running 2 ohm's the amp isn't really designed to handle 2 ohm loads although they say you can. When I talked to Tech support at Mesa they said don't run it at 2 ohm's. There is no mute switch and no neutric outs on the Mesa and also when you crank up the compressor it really takes power away from the amp (but it is a killer compressor!)

As for the Ampeg SVT 4 Pro - I have A/B'd this several times against the SVT 2 Pro and the 2 pro blows it away. There is no overdrive knob on the SVT4. Also, there seems to be some quality problems with the SVT4 - they tend to break down alot - My 2 Pro's have never given me any problems over the years.

I will keep my current setup but may switch cab's out for Bergantino's.

Good Luck in your quest - mine never ends.

The Rig:

Yamaha Attitude 10th Anniversary

Pearce B2P

Ampeg BSE-410HS

Ashly SC-50

Boss VF-1

EBS Octabass

Sennheiser G2 Wireless

Archived