Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"seymour duncan" vs. "DiMarzios" vs. "J-retro preamp"

bassingeorge

Hello bass players:

The thing is, I want to change the pickups of my MIM j-bass pickups, ok, so here's what I'm looking for in the new pickups; an open tone, modern punchiness with sustain, broad tonal shaping (I play from hard rock to ska-punk if that helps) and hum bucking effect would be wonderful ( jazz basses are noisy!! ). So thats tonal wise.

The pickups I've been looking at are:

-Seymour duncan Hot stacks

-Seymour duncan Sjb-3 quarter pounders

-DiMarzios Ultra jazz

Oh, and a lot a people in the forum recommend the J-retro jazz bass preamp WITH the original pickups, as far as I owned my bass, the original pickups suck! the produce an anoying thump whenever the string touches the magnet, so, the difference between the preamp and the pickups(pair) will be just a little bit above $100 more; what do you guys recommend go for the pickups and stay with my passive original cicuit or break the piggy bank and get the preamp with the original pup's?? :freak:

Thanx to all of you

-

Got bass?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bassingeorge:

Hello bass players:

The thing is, I want to change the pickups of my MIM j-bass pickups, ok, so here's what I'm looking for in the new pickups; an open tone, modern punchiness with sustain, broad tonal shaping (I play from hard rock to ska-punk if that helps) and hum bucking effect would be wonderful ( jazz basses are noisy!! ). So thats tonal wise.

The pickups I've been looking at are:

-Seymour duncan Hot stacks

-Seymour duncan Sjb-3 quarter pounders

-DiMarzios Ultra jazz

Oh, and a lot a people in the forum recommend the J-retro jazz bass preamp WITH the original pickups, as far as I owned my bass, the original pickups suck! the produce an anoying thump whenever the string touches the magnet, so, the difference between the preamp and the pickups(pair) will be just a little bit above $100 more; what do you guys recommend go for the pickups and stay with my passive original cicuit or break the piggy bank and get the preamp with the original pup's?? :freak:

Thanx to all of you

-

I have had good experiences with the Ultrajazz, and they are quiet. You will need a preamp if you want broad tonal shaping, as passive just won't do it. The three band Bartolini with three position midrange switch does a real nice job on my Hoyt five string.

If you are otherwise happy with your MIM Jazz, then it may be worthwhile if you can get the parts inexpensively. However, it would also be worthwhile to consider other basses that already possess the characteristics you are seeking. There are an awful lot of incredible basses being imported these days at excellent prices, and at least you know what you will get-- making changes to an existing bass could be wonderful or could be an expensive and unrewarding experiment.

BTW, ALL pickups will make a nasty thump if the string touches the magnet; that's not exclusive to your bass.

Good luck in your quest.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

darn- i had this long reply and lost it! so i'll summarize-

I agree with Bob, i like the ultra jazz -

warning- get the newer j retro- the older ones can be quite noisy. be sure it IS a newer one- peace, A.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

My vote goes to the J-Retro preamp, it's really versatile. I have two jazz basses with J-Retros, and also one Modulus Q5 (EMG pickups) that I put a U-Retro preamp in, they all sound great. Fat and warm but still clear and detailed sound. I actually think the preamp makes more of a difference than changing pickups.

Don't know what to tell you about which pickups to choose. But if you're not pleased with the single-coil hum you're getting now, change the p'ups first since you know you don't like the hum. No preamp will alleviate single coil hum.

Then decide whether to go J-Retro. Adrian's right -- there's a newer version now that is much less noisy; I've heard that this difference in noise is particularly noticeable when you boost the treble or use the "bright" switch.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by TheBassMan:

I actually think the preamp makes more of a difference than changing pickups.

I'm curious about this. I have a MIM J-bass as well. Thanks for this thread george. Well, I'm gonna go check out this preamp. If there's any more user info. you could give me, that'd be cool. As in, how it performs, how long you've had it, etc.

Peace,

JDL

I have Ultra Jazzes & am happy with them. Of course, although I haven't tried the Duncans, I have no doubt they are excellent.

One thing to consider is whether you want a stacked or a split-coil humbucker. Both will cancel hum, but roughly speaking a split-coil humbucker (like the DiMarzios) will be a bit more like a single-coil tonally, while a stacked humbucker (like the Duncans) will sound more like a humbicker tonally.

A preamp won't really change the tone, BUT it will give you a lot of shaping on-board; otherwise, you can shape with some out-board device. I've heard *excellent* thinkgs about the J-Retro.

Something you can do with humbuckers (at least with the DiMarzios) is wire them to push/pull volume pots so that you can switch between parallel & series, which do offer different tones (the series, I think, is punchy & midrangey, while the parallel is a bit thinner & more scooped). Otherwise, I'd recommend going series.

I know what you mean about noisy MIM pickups. I had a 90s one, & not only were the pickups not matched, so they always hummed, but also just hitting the pickup with your *finger* produced noise! Otherwise, though, a nice sounding & nice playing bass.

I love my MIM jazz that's why I didn't sell it! it just became so familiar to me, and it´s very comfortable...the thing that keeps me from enjoying it is the pup's...

Mmm I prefer stacked pups so they can eliminate hum. Oh and will exposed magnets vs. non exposed ceramic magnets be a difference? and what brand makes pups that have ceramics?

:thu:

Got bass?

So, would ceramics solve the ugly clipping noise that produces my pickups? I can't slap with these pickups, i mean, I can slap, but it doesn't sound good, it sounds horrible! and thats because the magnetic thump...someone posted that the thump presents itself in every exposed magnet pickups, but c'mon! I don't hear those anoying noises in other fender or stingrays or any other bass! both duncans I posted earlier are alnico V exposed magnets, would they produce the same noise? even the high output, stacked "hot staked"?? :confused::freak:
Got bass?

Archived