Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, who knows anything about Phil Jones Bass? I've just been blown away!

orphan wells

i was just looking through some of the other topics on Lowdown and someone had a link to an article on the Phil Jones bass web site www.philjonesbass.com. i was reading about his explaniations of how bass is produced and how to make it more efficient and all that jive. anyway the guy just may be a genius. if you don't know anything about his stuff check out his web site, look at his cabs and amps and tell me what you think (especially if your one of thoes really smart guys how know their techincal stuff). if you know something about his cabs give me some feed back because i think he sold me on his ideas alone.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect to Phil Jones, there are quite a few people out there working hard to make better speakers for us. Some explain more about it than others; some are big companies and some small. It's a good time for the technology to expand, and maybe the prices will go down soon!!

One of our own members may be visiting a PhilJones dealer soon. Until then, I don't know how many people out there own his cabs.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well I just jumped to his contact page and they live in St. Louis!!

So if people really want to know I'll do a fact finding trip and report back to the forum. Would anyone be interested?

So long screwy!! See you in St. Louiey!!!!

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by ibescotty:

So long screwy!! See you in St. Louiey!!!!

Yikes, ibescotty, wait a few minutes in the morning before downing that fourth cup of coffee! :D:D:D

I am "the member" (I don't really like how that sounds, do you? :rolleyes: ) who is probably visiting a Phil Jones dealer this weekend. If there is Phil Jones gear in stock, I will certainly report on it to y'all on the board. I will also be able to play it against some other high-end gear at the same place...the classic A/B testing scenario!

Besides Phil Jones I think that Andy at Acme Bass and Mark and Dave at AccuGroove are doing creative things to get us better speaker cabinets, as are many others.

As for the amps, I'm not sure if PJ is doing anything as radically "different" from the others as his cabs are.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

this is not to take away from the accomplishments of Mr. Jones (and me, coming through in stereo...), but it's not particularly revolutionary what he's doing with speakers.

essentially, it's the same theory behind an 8x10 cabinet, but moreso. that the speakers are well designed, and from an audiophile approach instead of a pro audio approach, i think has more to do with the asserted sound quality than specifically that it's a 24x5 cabinet. the theory holds true -- acoustic coupling exists, and those who master it can use it to their advantage.

where i think the PJB stuff really differentiates from other manufacturers is not in the speakers but in the cabinet. if you look at the cross section of the speaker cabinet on this page , you'll see a ridiculous amount of internal bracing. most "pro audio" speaker cabinets do not put that sort of effort into internal bracing. that is a trait of audiophile cabinets, however, like the B&W matrix bracing .

as for his amps, i imagine he's using fine circuit topology, but the 500W all-tube bass head lists at $10,000 because it spares nothing in materials -- thick aluminum chassis; brushed, anodized aluminum front panel; extra pure copper and silver hookup wire; premium tubes. i'm sure only the best components are used. the only revolution here is that the company is not afraid to sell something so expensive. most companies don't want to get into that market, and most engineers think such materials expense is frivolous, even if they think it actually makes a difference (most engineers don't).

robb.

It looks very interesting.

But with all due respect to Mr. Jones...will someone please tell bass amplification companies that graphic EQs are more trouble than they're worth on bass amps?

Give me 4 knobs and maybe a couple parametric frequency knobs. The last thing I need is to be diddling with a 120Hz EQ slider while keeping the curve natural and keeping the groove going with my left hand. Nope. Not me sir.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

But with all due respect to Mr. Jones...will someone please tell bass amplification companies that graphic EQs are more trouble than they're worth on bass amps?

Hear, hear!

I just played a Trace Elliot 2x10 combo the other evening and ended up bypassing the graphic EQ 'cause it was such a pain in the ass. I got better sound just using the two preset "contour" settings (which sounded to my ears like a "scooped mids" slap setting and a "bumped up mids" fingerstyle setting, and were really nicely voiced).

I think Steve Rabe has it right with a lot of the Raven stuff -- very often just bass, mid, and treble knobs, and occasionally semi-parametric w/ a freq knob (and then there's that cool lookin' 5-band, semi-parametric True Blue EQ!). Relatedly, some of the SWR stuff (like my Super Redhead combo) follows that simplicity principle, and it works very well for me -- bass, mid+mid freq, treble. Throw in a "bright" switch and a "deep" switch, and let's rumble!

spreadluv

I like the look of the AccuGroove stuff, though I might have to save up $$$ for a little while. :)

But I can't wait to hear the pricing on this thing:

http://www.philjonesbass.com./PRODUCTS/SPEAKERS/Briefcase.htm

http://www.philjonesbass.com./IMAGES/PRODUCTS/SPEAKERS/Briefcase/briefcase.jpg

Being in 2 bands and not having the luxury of leaving a bass setup at every practice room, I would love to be able to haul that around to get consistent sound for practice and for smaller gigs.

I used to own a Peavy T-Max 500 head. For the price I found it delivered more that what I expected. I always utilized the graphic EQ, mostly in the inverted bell curve shape (or V-shape, sometimes U-shape). :evil: It added so much distinction to my sound, and after every show, I'd have people giving positive comments about my tone. On my SWR350X, I missing that feature.

ibescotty,

You wouldn't happen to be willing to tell me who that Phil Jones Bass dealer is, would you? I live close to The 'Lou and I've been eyeing that combo for a few months now. I had no idea PJB was in St Louis until you brought it up. I'm pretty excited! But also pretty broke, so it'll be a while before I plop down any $$ on anything. All the same, it would be cool if you could let me know where I could play one in town.

Thanks,

nosamiam28 AT hotmail.com

Originally posted by nosamiam:

You wouldn't happen to be willing to tell me who that Phil Jones Bass dealer is, would you? I live close to The 'Lou and I've been eyeing that combo for a few months now. I had no idea PJB was in St Louis until you brought it up.

Phil Jones Bass calls St. Louis home! Here's the link to the contact info and address:

PJB -- contact info

spreadluv

Yeah... what's up guys? Why no city in your description. No offense, if you really feel the need to be so private, but I like hooking up with other forumites, and my brothers live downtown Chicago and the North-Northwest suburbs. (I grew up in Highland Park, 24 miles north of Chicago.)

I just noticed that several Illinois members posted without the city, or simply with "Chicago", which as you know is almost as indistinct as saying, "Illinois". ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I am very curious as to the sound of the BJB cabs. Please report on the sound and soon as you return from the dealer. One thing that I'm wondering about is the SPL. One spot in the article, PJB said that his 5x24 would put out 134db! what i want to know is will it do that kind of loudness across the entire frequency response of the cab. or at what frequency would you be most likely to hear 134db. and by the way that 5x24 cab has a 3400 watt power rating. dose anyone have a QSC PLX 3402 lying around?
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

I played a Phil Jones M-500 head and 8T cab (8x5) today. The head was pretty tasty and the cab had lots of punch. I'll eat my words about graphic EQs -- the graphic EQ on the Phil Jones head was supremely musical and I got great sound from it.

I've written more about the cab in a thread about my gear orgy from earlier today. Here's the link: Sweet Willie\'s out-of-control gear adventure!

spreadluv

I was looking at the 8T 24B cab thats on the site. There is like 20 speakers there!!! Its crazy!!
http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

What would kill me is how would you find out which speaker is blown (if it happened) in a 32 speaker cab?? The amps look very interesting but I'll leave the cabs alone!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Archived