Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A clean bass is a happy bass

bassingeorge

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually about every third or fourth string change. Warm to hot water for the body and back of neck. Dry, and two coats with whatever carwax I have out in the workshed.

The fretboard I use either a greenie pad, or cover the pickups and use 0000 steel wool with some Dr. Ducks Axe Wax.

Usually wipe the body and strings with a soft cloth after each time I play or noodle around in the living room. A little Dr. Ducks about two times a month on strings and entire bass.

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

I always use the Warwick Beeswax for my Thumb Bass, it works very well. It almost "regenerates" the tone and look of the wood, but I guess thats what it is supposed to do.

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

Well, for the build ups in the frets, I use some Orange glo wood replenisher, but I have to wipe it hard to be able to get the buildups gone. I use brasso in the frets, and they end up mirror clean...For the body I just use car wax; and for hardware I just wipe it off with a clean rag with a bit of Wd-40 ( but just a little bit )..cuz the you don't want your knobs or bridge to be all sticky and greasy huh...
Got bass?

I was given a little bottle of Dr. Stringfellows fretboard lem-oil. I shined up my purpleheart fingerboard but I think I read at the dudepit that boiled linseed oil is better? And is lemon oil not recommended?
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Dirt keeps the funk in!? Call me a nancy boy, but I hate a dirty bass/guitar. I don't mind the beat up look (actually I prefer it) but dirt is another matter. A guitarist friend of mine has a guitar that hasn't been cleaned since b.c. Sometimes I'd love a noodle when I visit, but the thought sickens me. Jaco can keep his chicken grease.

..on reading my above words, I think I may have to see a therapist to find out what I'm repressing! :confused::D

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I wouldn't really consider my bass dirty, just dusty (if that makes any sense) When I restring I do the best I can to clean it up, I make sure I get all the gunk off the fret board. But the one place I get stuck is the corner between the pickups and the body, I just can't get the dust out, anyone got any tips on how I could do it?

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Dirt keeps the funk in!? Call me a nancy boy, but I hate a dirty bass/guitar.

Nancy boy. :D

Nah, don't get me wrong, my bass isn't filthy.. I just don't bother trying to get the maple neck back to factory condition, or pick/brush dust outta the neck joint, etc. I wipe it down occaisionally, but never use water/cleaners on it. Just a cloth.

-Mike

...simply stating.

Nancy who, Reagan? Ohh well I asked for it. :)

I may be a little anal (a little anal, don't even think about calling me a little anus!) about this,

but like a reformed smoker I love to preach, especially after I had my last bass about 3 years and barely dusted it once.

Ohh how a good bass brings out the butler in me.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

I may be a little crazy, but I love for my bass to look brnad new everytime I take it on stage. But as of yet, and I've had it for 2 years now, my bass stays clean by itself. I don't know how, but the only dirty place is between the bridge rails (I have the Ibanez BTB where there is space between each string's bridge). All that needs is a little rubdown and it's good to go.

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

Cleaning? What's that? I've got a nice build up of green funk on my frets. :thu:

I do have some sticky goo on the back of the neck of my modulus. Any recommendations for safely taking that off?

I have no homepage.

I never clean the body on any of my basses but to think about it they all have natural finishes so you couldnt tell.

I use lemon oil every few months to keep the neck clean, besides that I just let the funk stay in.

If I was talking to the ice cream, I would be eating you.

Archived