Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

can some one suggest a bass they like better then the thumb for goovin and slaping

snoogets

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wehn it comes to slapping and grooving on a bass this is what i look for...

1. a decient amout of space between G and D string and body

2. at least 18mm string spacing

3. heavy ass bridge and nut (brass)

4. multi laminate neck for punch and sustain)

5. a bass that hang well around your neck so you can focus on you right hand while slaping and your left will be free to move the neck with terrible or unorthodox technique with out having to worry about the neck falling.

6. finally, EMG's big ass active ones.

try the spector europe series

the carvin bunny brunell

some of the niceer court basses

the stingray dosen't have enough clearence between the string and body for my really fast two finger plucking style, but it dose sound killer. even better with bartilini's replacement pickup.

I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

Marcus Miller slaps and grooves like a mofo on a low-action Fender jazz bass (among others).

Larry Graham slaps and grooves like a mofo on a Moon jazz style bass.

Victor Wooten slaps and grooves like a mofo on a Fodera w/ one P pickup and one J pickup.

Flea slaps and grooves like a mofo on a Modulus Flea bass which is similar to the Music Man StingRay he used to favor.

Louis Johnson slaps and grooves like a mofo on a Music Man StingRay (among others).

These are just a few examples. Any of these players could probably "slap and groove like a mofo" on a 2x4 plank with piano wires nailed to the ends. I'd worry less about the kind of bass and more about the skills. The bass will vary from player to player. Go to a bunch of stores to slap and groove on a bunch of basses, and then you'll know which one's the right one!

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I just picked up a Lakland 44-02. The Skyline model. What a groove machine, very responsive. I'm sure the USA 44-94 will work even better!! I'am very satisfied with the skyline and stoked that it sounded so good for only $800.00. I've bought and sold alot of guitars over the past 15 years,(P-Bass, Jazz, ThumbBass,Benavente,MM Stingray, etc.), and, for tonal qualities and playability, the Lakland the best of em so far. But my '98 Mike Lull M4 is in the UPS truck to be delivered tomorrow, so we'll see what happens next.

Hawk :D

Originally posted by snoogets:

im looking for that ultimate bass for grooving can you suggest some?

Any bass I pick up, from a $300 MIM Fender to a $3000 MTD bass to whatever. Your ability to "groove" has nothing to do with the bass, it's all in the hands.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Your ability to "groove" has nothing to do with the bass, it's all in the hands.

I'll agree with that on one term: that your hands' ability to groove is actually your soul's ability to make your hands groove. Kinda messy to think about, but it makes sense. It's all about soul, brah.

Of course, a good high output passive bass strung with steel strings is a good way to start...with nice bright hardwoods.

Well, I see greenboy is back, so why the heck not....

Bump and Willie...way to spank!!!!!

Willie, you can add Chuck Rainey and his Spector to the list.

snoogets: are you trying to purchase a bass, only one, for slapping? You ask for the "ultimate bass." Most of us here have settled on one or two we use most frequently, but have several basses for various purposes.

However, we've made our choices after many years of playing. We also realize that telling you "Buy a Fender (insert any brand there)" will kinda lock you into a certain way of thought. Much more fun, and better for you, if you explore.

If your question was meant rhetorically, check out the deserted island thread.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

While talent and groove are surely needed I found while learning to slap that I prefered a larger neck. In fact I was having all sorts of problems slapping my Steinberger around. It's got a very small scale neck. For a while I thought that I just wasn't funky enough. :cry:

Well I built myself a P-Bass and I found that I could slap that thing silly :thu:

Now I'm very happy to have that available in my tool kit.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

I have to put in another vote for the Lakland Skyline. Mine is a 55-02 and I love it. It is a great slapper. It is also the most verstatile bass I have owned. I got rid of a Dolphin 5 - yes a Dolphin - and am selling my Stingray 5 as the Lakland does it all for me. The Bartolini 3 band preamp and Batolini jazz/musicman style pups give me all the different tones I could ever want.

I was thinking about getting a Boss GT-6B multi effects board, but I don't want all the effects and modeling to get in the way of the sweet tones I get through my SWR Bass 350 and Goliath 4X10. I'm gonna stick withmy home made board with tuner, chorus, overdrive and Aphex Big Bottom/Aural Exciter DI.

I also got a nice slap out of a MIM Jazz with DiMarzzio Ultra Jazz pups and J-Retro preamp. The Stingray is always a good slapper as well. I know many people like the Warwicks - and the Dolphin I had had the best B string ever but it was just too damn heavy - but I didn't think they were all that versatile.

For those of you who know me on here, I have said it before, but I really think this Lakland will last me a while.

Originally posted by orphan wells:

Wehn it comes to slapping and grooving on a bass this is what i look for...

1. a decient amout of space between G and D string and body

2. at least 18mm string spacing

3. heavy ass bridge and nut (brass)

4. multi laminate neck for punch and sustain)

5. a bass that hang well around your neck so you can focus on you right hand while slaping and your left will be free to move the neck with terrible or unorthodox technique with out having to worry about the neck falling.

6. finally, EMG's big ass active ones.

Except for the EMG's you described my Kubicki Ex-Factor. I think Willie will agree that it is one funky bass.

:cool:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Except for the EMG's you described my Kubicki Ex-Factor. I think Willie will agree that it is one funky bass.

:cool:

Wally

Yes, indeed! :D

Wally Malone grooves and slaps like a mofo on a Kubicki Ex-Factor! :thu:

spreadluv

Originally posted by orphan wells:

Wally, what kind of pickups do you like or have in your x factor?

The stock Kubicki pickups with their electronics as well with a six-position switch, one off, two active and three passive positions.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

uhhhhh, would anyone consider a maple fretboards for better attack than most bass necks out there?

i could fairly say that i've favored maples on my board over rosewood and pao ferros. Maples just sound great when we overemphasize notes when slapping. And even tapping too!

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Originally posted by Iceman Irwin:

uhhhhh, would anyone consider a maple fretboards for better attack than most bass necks out there?

i could fairly say that i've favored maples on my board over rosewood and pao ferros. Maples just sound great when we overemphasize notes when slapping. And even tapping too!

I haven't owned a bass w/ a maple board, but I agree that I think they give better sound for slapping. Ebony does an excellent job for slapping as well. I would expect some of the really hard woods, like purpleheart, to also be good fingerboard woods for slapping.

spreadluv

what's better than all the hard woods out there is graphite with the epoxy fretboard that modulus uses. If you like that kina of sound. I think it's a little more modern and agressive. but behind that would be wenge/bubinga laminate neck with a ebony fretboard. It's just so difficult to balance a bass with that dense of a neck. makes for killer tone though.
I didn't come here to play. I came here to make babies.

Archived