Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions, questions!

Afro_Man

Sorry if any of these have been posted before but im kinda new to all this technical side of bass playing, so here goes:

-What is the difference between active and passive electonics and what do they actually do?

-What's the view on using picks, always, never, only if its needed?

-Chords how do they work? I've seen pictures and tabs but i still can't understand how to actually do them?

-Any other really important words to learn the meaning of so i can have an idea of what everyone is talking about when getting geeky.

Thanks in advance as im sure that you guys will help me in this cos you usually do

Nic xxx

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Afro_boy:

Sorry if any of these have been posted before but im kinda new to all this technical side of bass playing...

Try the handy "search" function in the upper right corner of the screen.

-What is the difference between active and passive electonics and what do they actually do?

Active electronics means that there is a preamp inside your bass, very often with an EQ. They require power -- a battery, in some cases phantom power. Active electronics will usually boost the strength of your signal, and if there's an EQ, you can usually do some combination of cutting and boosting your bass and treble frequencies, and sometimes mids. Passive electronics don't require a battry and usually a passive knob operates as a treble roll-off, filtering out treble frequencies so you can change the range of your tone from bassy to trebly. (There are others who can probably explain this better than I have!)

-What's the view on using picks, always, never, only if its needed?

There are lots of different views on picks. I use them rarely. It depends on the player. My philosophy is that you use whatever it takes to make the bass sound they way you want given the musical context in which you're playing.

-Chords how do they work? I've seen pictures and tabs but i still can't understand how to actually do them?

Chords from a theory standpoint as building blocks of musical structure or chords from a technique standpoint as in how to play multiple notes simultaneously?

-Any other really important words to learn the meaning of so i can have an idea of what everyone is talking about when getting geeky.

One very important word: "search."

Lots of others, too. When something comes up in a thread that you don't understand, post a question in that thread asking for an explanation. Someone will help you out.

Peace,

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived