Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scenario Choices?

JDL

OK, play along. You're plane has crashed on an island with no survivors except yourself. You're stranded on an island that no one knows is there. There, oddly enough, is one outlet on the island. But, you(being the bass freak you are) only took one amp, one effects processor, one cable, one bass, and five sets of strings, to last you until a rescue plane comes(two months).

I hope your choices will be wise.

P.S.-No getting creative on the details of how you'd use the bass, cable, amp, effects processor, or strings for any other purpose than to play bass. Don't worry about clothes, lets just assume that you made clothes out of leaves and ate coconuts, ok?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'd try to find a really shitty amp and bass so I could get radio stations and potentially broadcast an S.O.S. message through bass morse code.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Well, the only choice I have with any equipment is basses, as I only have one of anything else. Well, ok... I have a few cables. Here goes.

bass: Fender Standard Jazz Bass

amp: Ampeg B-100R

effects: Boss Bass Chorus (the only one I have... rarely used)

cable: Whirlwind Leader

strings: Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass

Can I manage to leave a tuner or tuning fork in my gig bag too?

Regards,

~Griff

Originally posted by CMDN:

I think I'd try to find a really shitty amp and bass so I could get radio stations and potentially broadcast an S.O.S. message through bass morse code.

An alternative scenario for those who DON'T list their gear they'd have...

Upon arriving the island, you found the "one outlet" to be a myth. You know you will starve to death because of the monkeys that ate the coconuts and leaves. So, unclothed and unfed, you try to swim your way home. Of course you are dillusional. You make your way back only to find no shade, no food. No beachball to make you sane again, no Fed EX boxes that would be useful. You have 2 months left. You do the math.

An alternative scenario for those who don't list their gear they'd have...

Upon arriving the island, you found the "one outlet" to be a myth. You know you will starve to death because of the monkeys that ate the coconuts and leaves. So, unclothed and unfed, you try to swim your way home. Of course you are dillusional. You make your way back only to find no shade, no food. No beachball to make you sane again, no Fed EX boxes that would be useful. You have 2 months left. You do the math

OK, OK... I get ya.

I like the rig I have now. It really works for me. I don't think I'd want anything different.

FYI, that means I'd go for:

A Black American Fender P-Bass

A 25' Monster Cable

SWR SM-500 head

Mesa/Boogie Cabs (1x15 & 2x10)

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

This is my rig to take:

1: Custom made Jazz bass

2: Sans amp Psa-1, Mackie 1400i poweramp.

3: T.C.Electronics G-force

4: Mesa 4X10, Mesa 1X15

5: Monster cable

6: DR Low Riders

If my power amp preamp and eefects processoer are all in the same rack can I take something else??? I want at least a tape recorder so I can record all the cool riffs I could come up with in two months. :idea:;):cool:

Brainwashed by ME,Myself influenced I

Do we train the afore mentioned monkey's to run a primive generator? If that's not possible (or ethical) I'll take a big ole upright...you know the cliched type, bullet holes, small bag of narcotics stashed in the case etc.

If monkey labour is allowed, all I'd take would be a Jazz fretless, an SVT3, a massive cab and an octave pedal. Any cable that works will do.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Followup question: The wreckage also left a guitar player on the island with similar gear, and still only one outlet. Do you:

A) Alternate days using the outlet.

B) Use your spare E-strings (B-strings for the 5-stringers) to tie him up.

C) Burn his gear to make a signal fire.

I dunno i'd prob just take what i've got now, so

-Westfield jass bass (to hit those damn monkeys for taking my coconut pants and eating the coconuts)

-Marshall 4 10" 8ohm speaker cab with Laney Linebacker head (use the cab to crack the coconuts)

-Bass converter pedal (so the bass doesn't flood when i play it really loud, although knowing my luck there will be some guy stranded on another island telling me to keep the racket down)

-any leads will do or possibly even a wireless thingy so i can play anywhere on the island.

That sounds good but what will you use to signal the plane that comes to pick you up cos you gotta burn something (monkeys so many uses)

Nic xxx

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

-Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone amp/preamp w/ headphones (since I'll have had enough of listening to nature around me)

-Tuner

-My Music Man StingRay5 fretless

-My Whirlwind Leader Elite instrument cable

-A handful of 9v batteries

-Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist, Joel DiBartolo's Serious Electric Bass, and The Real Book

Time to 'shed, baby! And time to work on intonation! :thu:

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'll play... why not?

First off, you burn the guitar player's stuff to make a signal fire. That's a no-brainer.

What's I'd have:

Mike Lull M5

SWR Mo' Bass

SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab

I'd also want my Real Book so I could work on shedding more jazz standards that I've long since forgotten the changes for. It's amazing how quickly changes leave my head, but songs like, oh, the entire Metallica catalog (pre Black album) stick around for years. :rolleyes: I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd need to look at the lead sheet for "All The Things You Are" if I were asked to play it right now.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

First off, you burn the guitar player's stuff to make a signal fire. That's a no-brainer.

Don't forget to cook the guitar player in said fire so that you can get some protein to accompany all the coconut vittles. The hair should be greasy enough that the carcass would be self-basting. :evil::D

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I'd also want my Real Book so I could work on shedding more jazz standards that I've long since forgotten the changes for.

You've probably forgotten more standards than I ever learned! At least I can still bust out "Autumn Leaves"!!! :D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

ok,

Ampeg head and cab (4x10 or 2x12)

My Rick

overdrive pedal, BOSS

one of those metal cables that were mentioned a while ago

DR Strings

but, how will the pedal work with only one cable?

jreed

jreed00@dcemail.com

I'll take my EB3 since it's short scale. I won't be doing much else, so I want to keep the arm/wrist stress down.

Ashdown Mag250 with a 12" speaker. With the suboctave maybe I can scare off the monkeys or shake down the coconuts that no one can reach.

I want my own cable (red/white/black cloth braiding) that I bought some years back and still works. The "good for life" ones don't mean a thing on the island.

After a while, I'd take Jeremy's suggestion and build the boat and use the paddle. In my case it's a bit more dangerous, because the EB3 has a long history of headstock weakness. After it breaks off, I have to be careful not to cut myself on the open neck wood.

The salt will take the moisture out of the wood, and it will play better when you get to land. The electronics will need some light maintenance but will be fine.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I'd take a double bass and a copy of "The Evolving Bassist". I can't play double bass...but I got two months with nowt else to do. Given that I am taking nothing electric...I think I should be allowed to take one more item. :D

So I'll take a cello and a bow and "The Evolving Cellist" or the equivalent. I can't play the cello either...yet.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Archived