Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BIG 80'S METAL GEAR

BASSRULZZ

I'VE GOT '88 BC RICH IRONBIRD WITH THE YELLOW AND BLACK CRACKLE FINISH AND IVE GOT A NEW IBANEZ BTB 5-STRING BOTH ARE PLAYED THROUGH AN 88 RANDALL RBA 500 HEAD WITH TWO 2X15 RANDALL CABINETS, ALL OF WHICH I BOUGHT BACK IN 88!!I AM IN NEED OF A SERIOUS UPGRADE!! ID LIKE A TIGHT 4 OR 6 10" CAB WITH MEGA POWER IN A SMALL TIGHT RIG. I PLAY MAINLY ORIGINAL CHRISTIAN ROCK, BUT I LIKE VARIOUS STYLES. ANYONE PLAYING BIG 80'S EQUIP STILL?
"ONLY BY BEING ON THE LEVEL, CAN WE RISE TO THE HIGHER PLAIN"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, first off...there's a key labeled "Caps Lock" that you should disengage. On discussion lists, when you type in all capital letters it looks like you're shouting at us...which doesn't inspire us to reply.

...now that that's out of the way... :D

Gallien Krueger makes probably the best bang for the buck in terms affordability, power and sound. Their solid state heads use FET transistors which yeild a very warm sound, and if you want distortion, you'll find that they break up very nicely if you push 'em.

10" speakers will give you a tighter sound than 15s. GK's new 2x10s and 4x10s sound great, but avoid their old speaker cabinets like the plague! Any GK speakers made before 1996 sound like doggy doo...all midrange with no bass to speak of.

Check out SWR's Workingman's Series, and Eden's Nemesis Series. They're both very high quality "affordable" amp lines made by very reputable manufacturers of expensive "pro" gear.

Avoid Hartke gear. It's cheap, but it sounds like it...I've never been impressed with their amps, whether Will Lee uses them or not.

Above all, go to all the music stores in your area and try as many amps as you can. Bring another bassist with you if you want a second opinion. Whatever makes you go "Yeah, man...this is it!" is probably the right choice.

Do you still have the '80s metal big hair? :)

If not, you don't need an '80s bass rig.

Basses and amps have come a long way since then.

SWR and Eden are probably where you should start your search. Although if you ever get a chance to try out an El Whappo, you will be amazed.

Put the BC Rich in a museum with your spandex tights. :D

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Check out SWR's Workingman's Series, and Eden's Nemesis Series. They're both very high quality "affordable" amp lines made by very reputable manufacturers of expensive "pro" gear.

Avoid Hartke gear. It's cheap, but it sounds like it...I've never been impressed with their amps, whether Will Lee uses them or not.

I couldn't agree more about the Nemesis, and SWR. I PLAY BOTH (sorry for shouting). I have a Nemesis 2 X 10 combo that is just the bee's knees; amazing range of tones and useful features, geat sounding DI. If I hadn't bought a Goliath Jr. III cab, and a used SWR 350 head, I'd play the Nemesis all the time (two lighter boxes are easier to carry than even the svelte Nemesis combo).

I don't know if I agree about Hartke though; I played a 3500 head in a store and I thought it sounded great, but that was in a store, and only for about 15 minutes.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I still have an original Kramer that was bought back in 86 before the buyout! It's still an awesome Bass with a cool look! I dont hear much about Kramer since that other co. bought them. Anyway, that's not my main Bass, it's just really more of a memorabillia piece for me.
Set the pace.......add more Bass!!

Archived