Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What way should I go?

Moreau

I have a mexican made fender jazz bass, that is about 8 years old now. I really like this bass, but im looking for something new, and a little bit better. should i go ahead and buy another bass, or should i put some money into better pickups etc? Im not too sure what is out there as for other basses, ive just always liked my jazz. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

depends on how much you have to spend vs what you like/dislike about your jazz. if you have the loot to buy another instrument and it won't hurt your finances too much, go for it. it never hurts to have several.

on the other hand if you like the overall playability of the instrument and you just want it to sound a little better, then you can upgrade the parts. a new bridge will help your sustain, new tuners wil help keep the thing in tune better, new pickups will clean up the sound, etc. this will give you a better instrument without having to spend money on a new one.

shop around. maybe you find an instrument you like better? maybe not? maybe something close enough to help you decide between upgrading parts and just buying a whole new instrument.

in summation (i love saying shit like that) if at all possible buy a second instrument. if that's not possible think about upgrading the one you have before trading it in on a new one.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

If you like the bass, why do anything at all?

If it were me, I would probably start playing other Fender Jazz basses...US made ones, vintage reissues, Mike Lull, Roger Sadowsky, or Lakland versions of Jazz basses. Then I'd decide if there would be a significant improvement and whether it was worth the money.

There's no need to upgrade a bass you are happy with, unless you just like spending money.

If you have a big urge to buy something, you could just keep your bass and buy a matching fretless.

As the regulars on this forum know, I'm not a big fan of upgrades. ;) Leave it alone. Why in 20 years it'll be a "vintage Mexican bass--all original".

What is "better"- beter tone, better feel, better paint job, what? Aside from a proper setup, you can't change the feel much (without getting really invasive). That's when it's time to play every bass you can and see what feels the best. For tone, the same applies but you can change that with new pickups. I'd dare say that for most any particular brand-name bass, the stock pickups are probably the best.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I changed the pickups in my MIM Fender Jazz. (2000 standard) The Dimarzio UltraJazz pickups I had put in sound more aggressive, raw, more growl, better for rock. The stock pups had highs that I liked better, a more balanced sound from each string, and I felt it gave a better tone for jazz music.

I felt like I gained something and lost something at the same time.

Hi Moreau, While I am not adverse to modifications. I tend to agree with Jeremyc on this one. If you really like your bass the way it is, leave it alone.It is better to get another bass that has the "new sound" you are looking for. Then you will have some choices to incorporate into your music. I have several basses and they all have different tonal characteristics. When I want a certian sound I reach for the bass that provides it.I also find that different basses cause me to play differently and that can be inspirational as well.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived