Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Recording Tips

Fezziwig

I've been having some trouble trying to record a bass sound that I like and I was hoping you folks could provide some tips or suggestions. Currently my setup is a Fender Jazz into an Ashdown ABM-500 into a Bergantino 2x12. I'd like to get a nice deep/smooth bass with a hint of the Fender Jazz growl, but it hasn't been happening. Think old Steely Dan. I've tried running direct from the ABM-500 and micing the cab with AKG D-112. I generally get a slightly too thin sound and too much string noise is picked up. This may be an EQ or pickup problem, not sure. I've tried some different compressors, but that doesn't seem to be the answer. It also could be the equipment I'm using. What is everyone using for recording bass? Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell yuo that I use just my amp for recording ( warwick pro fet IV )... it has an dj out that I plug to the pc or the recorder that i've to use... So sound remain the same that i use for concerts... in every situation... from slap to grooving a boogie!

try to get a better sound out(if you have not tried before) the recording and than get the record for the amp-line out... it could be a solution...

i'm sorry if my english would result unploite... :)

Fly on little wing!

Originally posted by Fezziwig:

I've tried running direct from the ABM-500 and micing the cab with AKG D-112. I generally get a slightly too thin sound and too much string noise is picked up.

Have you been doing these simultaneously and mixing the sound together? If so, you could be suffering from frequency cancellation due to the slight delay on the miced signal.

To get a bigger smoother sound try panning towards the neck pickup or even raising the pickups so they're a bit closer to the strings. Plucking closer to the neck would help too.

If that doesn't work, it's time to start playing with all that sweepable EQ on the Ashdown...

Or get some FLATWOUNDS!!! Less string noise, fatter sound.

Alex

The flatwounds are an interesting idea. Currently I have relatively light (E string 105) roundwounds on the Fender Jass. What sort of flats and tension would you recommend for a mellower,less bright and stringy sound?

I'm also thinking EQ here. Should I rolling off most of the highs? Any EQ tips? Thanks!

The D112 is a great mic for bass instruments, with one caveat: It can be somewhat directional at times. You need to find it's "sweet spot" and it'll really rock. I would also try combining that D112 with a SM57 and a DI. If you have the capability to record several simultaneous, discrete tracks, record each of the aforementioned ways to a seperate track and play with each one individually and as a group.\Be Sure that none of the inputs are too hot (at any point in the recording) for your preamps or the recording medium itself, especially if you're recording in digital.

Remember that as a general rule, you will never get on tape what you hear coming out of your amp. Skilled engineers can hear a source and "translate" what the recorded sound will be. What you can do to alleviate this problem is to record your bass, play it back, figure out what you want to change and then make the changes anywhere before where the recording happens (instrument settings, mics and positions, preamps, etc). Fix it first before you mix down.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Archived