Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P-bass bridge and p/up covers

Graham56

I had a P-bass copy which had a chrome-plated cover over the bridge and another arching over the pickup and strings. And I see they are still supplied on 'real' P-basses.

What are they for?

The bridge one had a piece of foam inside which I can see the point of if you want that damping effect. But what's the point of the p/up one?

Is it to protect the pickup from finger or pick strikes? Or provide a shelf to rest the hand?

In the end I took both off. I felt they got in the way and restricted where I could play the strings too much.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Graham56:

But what's the point of the p/up one?

Is it to protect the pickup from finger or pick strikes? Or provide a shelf to rest the hand?

It also provides extra shielding for the pickup. If you're playing with a pick it can make a nice rest (Joe Osborn always kept his on) and players like Marcus Miller and Will Lee (though this is on the J-bass) keep their cover on because they like using it as a rest when they're slapping.

Alex

originally, bass pickups were just the bobbin with the polepieces sticking through a piece cardboard. this predates plastic pickup casings. the pickup cover was to protect the pickup from the player.

the bridge cover had foam to damp the strings, giving them a more percussive, less sustaining sound, like that of an upright bass. again, this was before electric bass had its own voice (thank you, James Jamerson).

these days, it's mostly for cosmetic effect, though some people find real use for them (see Alex's post, above).

robb.

Archived