Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody into TOOL?

Gunslinger

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Tool myself. All the members are very talented individuals, especially Adam Jones, and Danny Carey. Just reading Danny's thoughts on spirituality makes my head spin as much as his awesome drum work. The layering Adam does with his guitar tones is driving me nuts...he routinely uses two amps at once...massive stuff. Not to mention the videos Adam's done for Tool... :thu:

Icky.

I hate Tool. They bore the crap out of me. Maynard sounds like Dudley Dooright, the songs go on and on forever and they all overplay. UGH.

I'm not saying they're lousy musicians -- I'm just saying I hate what they play. I don't care how many complex time signatures they can play or how crazy Carey's fills are... they're boring.

On another level, I also hate the guys from Tool for creating a musical style so many less-talented bands have tried to copy. I'm so sick of playing shows with these bands...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

What with all the hubbub about Tool, I tried to listen to a few of their songs to see what it was all about.

I can offer no technical reasons, nor critical commentary on their work, but I just found out very quickly that I could tolerate no more than about 10 seconds of them in any single day.

To put it bluntly, I hated them so much that I didn't have time to clarify what exactly I hated about them. Trying to investigate the matter was an utterly fruitless endeavor. I just had to hit the stop button.

I never heard this band or heard of them.

:confused:

I travel in slightly different circles.

So I just went to cdnow and listened to the 30 second samples.

If they are 14 years old, they are pretty good! :bor:

There was no audible bass on my computer speakers so I can't make any comment about the bass playing. :freak:

First off, I love Tool. CMDM, I love you man but you're wrong! :P And I'm in one of those bands! :P Jeremy, it may not be your cup of tea but they shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. They have a huge fan base for a reason. Lateralis(their latest) is the one you should check out. And IMHO Maynards lyrics are far more interesting than most of the meaningless fodder out there these days. I've seen 4 shows, always incredible. So the answer to the original question is, Yes! Sorry, I had to show my love.
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

I'm into ToOl a little bit. Not a big fan though. Bassplayer's good. Never payed much attention to the lyrics. I like specially the first album and some of the last one.

Any more thoughts about ToOl? :evil:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by A.P. Prod.:

And IMHO Maynards lyrics are far more intersting than most of the meaningless fodder out there these days.

Thinking about Tool gets me a little hot under the collar. I've alluded to that so far, but I've decided I might as well come out and say it. Either people will ignore it, or this thread is about to take an interesting turn, and if so, I apologize in advance for that.

I will agree with the quoted comment in a sense--his lyrics are not meaningless. He's trying to make some various statements. But I disagree with those statements he (Maynard) is trying to make--well, at least all the ones that I'm aware of. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if it ticks me off, and I have serious intellectual reservations in saying "I like Tool" even if I'm down with the musical style.

I mean, there's one A Perfect Circle lyric that actually says "f*** your God", and from what I gather, at least some Tool songs have a similar theme. As a person who believes in God and tries to live my life a certain way because of my beliefs, aren't I justified in at least wanting to clock the dude for saying that kind of stuff? I'm sure if I had a band where I wrote lyrics like "f*** athiests" or "f*** non-Christians", we'd be blackballed and would never get any airplay. (I just started to write a paragraph about double standards, but I'll skip that. Needless to say, they definitely exist, and various groups benefit at different times.)

Anyway, the point is, Tool and A Perfect Circle are cases where I'd rather Maynard was writing about something pointless (heck, I'd settle for puppies and rainbows) instead of something that insults me. Don't get me wrong, it's a free country, he has a right to do it. I have and would again write songs about my beliefs that might offend others (though my intent would not be to offend), but when someone writes something I disagree with, I don't have to like it, and am justified in wishing they'd write about something else.

Once again, I'm sorry this is so off-topic. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

I'd rather listen to King Crimson, though... :D

Me too brother, me too.

I rather enjoy Tool. I have a few of their albums and generally dig on what they do. I can't say that I'm a huge slobbering at the mouth fan, but I can most definitely listen to them and not break out in a rash... like 99% of 'popular' music does to me.

Someday, if I have nothing better to do, I'll write out my "generic Tool bassline". It sounds like every Tool song. It's amusing.

Here, Here...... I agree BUT, I choose to ingnore it. Just like me, They have a right to say what they want. If it offends or not is not the point I choose to look at. I am also a HUGE Slayer fan, And they are 100 times worse than Tool about saying things like that. I enjoy the music so much that I choose to ignore their "close-minded" beleifs and just enjoy the music for the music. I dont blame you I know alot of people who wont look past things such as that, and more power to you. I on the other hand guess I am not as "hardcore" to take it as a direct attack on my beleifs, I just take it with a grain of salt and if thats their thoughts then so be it. Theres alot more people in the world close to me that share that belief that I would rather worry about than people I would never be able to debate with about it. I dont know if thats my stupidity or just ignorance to look beyond it to enjoy the music but thats how I feel.
Brainwashed by ME,Myself influenced I

I've always thought the singles on the radio were good, but listening to more than 5 min at a time is just too much for me. Talented? Yes Interesting? Not to me. I went to a show of theirs last summer and all I could think about was "Man, this might be cool if I still smoked weed." It was the most boring show I have ever been to. Maynard spent the entire set at the back of the stage standing (or kneeling) beside the drummer singing in a bra, panties, and mohawk, while the Justin and Adam stood motionless at the front of stage. No interaction w/ the crowd, just a 7-minute song after 6-minute song after 8-minute song. Listening to their CD's is a similar experience, just w/o the bra and panties.
Ah, nice marmot.

First off, I love Tool. CMDM, I love you man but you're wrong! And I'm in one of those bands!
Dude... It's all good.

You like Tool. I don't.

Like my man Dave Mason said, "There ain't no good guy. There ain't no bad guy. There's just you and me, and we just disagree."

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Tool's interesting. I'm not a fan, but I've heard their stuff and I didn't hate it.

I'd rather listen to King Crimson, though... :D

So are you saying that Tool is trying to be a modern day King Crimson or is that just what's in your player?

Tool? Na not for me. I've listened to a few songs but I just don't find them that interesting. Kind of boring or borish or what ever.

...but hey, music is subjective :thu:

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

I love tool. I love a perfect circle.

Tool puts on one of the best live shows around. Ive watched their live performances evolve over the years, and they are getting better and better.

Im hoping they will release a Live DVD of their last tour. Great visuals, great music.

I am definitely a TOOL fan. I've been listening to them for about 7 years and they have gotten alot better over the years IMHO. Although Opiate still remains my favorite album. It has so much raw energy.

I think the latest album I focus on the drums more than anything else.

Did anyone else hear the rumors that Danny Carey, Les Claypool and [guitarist that I can't remember] where going to put together an album? I would love to hear the drum and bass that comes out of that collaboration.

I like Tool. Can't understand most of the lyrics anyway. I really loved Aenima, but it was kind of a phase. Lateralus (sp?) just sounded like more of the same and I wasn't into it at the time.

I really was into it several years ago, but now it's getting a bit old because of all these other bands copying stuff Tool did 10 years ago. Just like all the Zeppelin clones in the 70's and 80's, and all the Pearl Jam clones in the 90's. Every hard rock (oh excuse me, "nu metal"?) band I hear these days just sounds like they're trying to be Tool. If that's what they grew up on, who could blame them? I'm sure those bands won't be around for more than 1 or 2 albums anyway.

I prefer the real thing, but only when I'm in the mood for it. One thing I don't like so much is their "look how mysterious and freaky we are" album packaging and stage presence. Just seems a bit contrived to me, but maybe it isn't. It's hard to see popular bands anymore and not feel like it's contrived by the label's marketing department. I enjoy the music nonetheless though.

Tool has really made a songwriting evolution. THeir older material was not quite interesting, IMHO, but with Aenima and more so with Lateralis, it can be very intersting and quite progressive. That is, of course, if you're into it. Being a prog fan as I am, Playing outside of a 4/4 really catches my ear as do the interesting harmonic and intervallic devices that are employed.

What is quite interesting, though, is this CD: "Third Eye OPen: a string tribute to Tool." As an URB player, this was a must have for me, even though I don't actually own more than one Tool CD. The writing skill really comes out when it's done on string instruments. Also, if you aren't already in the know, you'd be amazed how absolutely sinister bowed URB can sound.

CMDN: I agree with the other band statment. I've heard of many bands in the area who are supposed to sound like Tool and MOST are not very good, and none sound like Tool. I'll use this as an example because it's spinning right now. "Left of Cool" is an unbelievable album but if other musicians tried to do the same thing, it just wouldn't work. Tool has it's own place in the musical spectrum.

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I actually say I have to like Tool. I read the moral objectives up above and I understand where you are coming from. Nonetheless, I still like the stuff. It was really weird because I'm more of a DMB, WSP kind of guy, so Tool doesn't really fit into what I normally listen to. To make a short story long, I hadn't heard any song by them before Schism on the radio, and I still haven't, but I went out and baught Lateralus the day it came out and I still enjoy listening to it.

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

Old school Tool fan here... I only have Opiate and Undertow, which I still listen to... I never got Aenima or Lateralus, because they seemed to be more of the same, the little that I heard of them (still liked it, just not enought to buy it)... saw then play at Lollapalooza III (the one with Primus headling), and they knocked my socks off...

Whether you like them or not, they certainly have influenced alot of the stuff on the radio today, be it "nu-metal" or whatever the heavier stuff is. Of course, as usual, the stuff on the radio is a more watered-down, straight ahead version of what Tool was doing years ago. Funny how it always works that way (or not so funny)...

The thing that amazed me the most was how they became popular with "Sober", the song and the video... they seemed interesting and almost groundbreaking then...

"Tea & Cake, or Death!"

Add me to the Tool fans list. It's amazing to me that a band that weird and face it, "proggy", has built an audience the size they have.

I think Aenima is far and away their best work. I never get bored listening to that record, and the little comic relief bits throughout are truly funny. Lateralis has a few great songs, but I'd agree with others that the writing on it is not as focused and tends to drag on and on at times. Maybe that's 'cuz the band wrote most of it without Maynard around since he was off touring with his side project - he added his "special sauce" to the stuff later. But I'd put Aenima up there with any of the great hard rock albums.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Lateralis is less of a "singles" album and more of a listening experience. It's meant to be listened to several consecutive tracks at a time if not beginning to end.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by matt C:

It's meant to be listened to several consecutive tracks at a time if not beginning to end.

Some of us listen to ALL albums like that. ;)

Tool is my favorite band, and I can also thank them for introducing me to another favorite band of mine: King Crimson. They also fully admit to copying them. :D

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end.

--King Crimson

i look at tool as a personally much cooler version of the smashing pumpkins. they make neat music that's fairly original, but they keep recording the same album.

as for why i think they're cool: an girl i was dating twisted my arm until i agreed to see bikini kill with her. the riot grrl band flaked, and i mean just never showed up to play their show. tool had just played three nights and maynard had come back to the venue to get something he had left there. the owner told him about bikini kill flaking and they agreed to play that night as a replacement. so i had expected to spend a torturous night watching a shitty riot grrl band and got to see tool instead.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Archived