Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

About that Jazz bass pickguard thingy...

wraub

A while back I posted a thread about the newer Fender Jazz bass design, that including a new, roughly dime sized 1/2in deep hole in the face of the instrument. This is only visible when (if) you remove the pickguard.

As I am a fan of the Jazz bass, and especially with no pickguard, this concerned me (a bit :) .)

I have just ended a phone call with Fender customer service, and this is what they said- (paraphrasing)

"Tough Sh*t!!"

No, actually, they said this- (paraphrasing)

"Well, actually, that hole is necessary for a hold down part of the CNC jig that is used in the assembly and construction of the bass. This is a recent change, and Fender basses will probably be made this way for some time to come, as the CNC system now in place works just fine."

This person also mentioned that they, also, remember with fondness the days when you could remove the pickguard from your bass with impugnity, but, alas, those days of yore are past.

Paraphrasing. :)

This machine age of ours... :rolleyes:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tough shit.

i took my pickguard off my hecho en mexico jazz and just lived with the little hole. mine is black, though, so it's pretty hard to notice unless you're up in it. personally i'd rather have a little hole than have anything less than CNC carved bodies for mass production.

robb.

Under the pickguard? Dont care, I like em on. I guess Jaco is rolling around trying to get outa his grave right about now but I'm a weirdo anyways. Sorry that ya jac-o vibe got messed up. I never saw a fender bass without one before his. I have to say I'm not really a jaco fan.

(OT OT OT alert) Hey I thought of another unsung bassist wraub - how about Charles Larkey who was Carole Kings 2nd husband and played on Tapestry and Music? He PLAYS BASS. He played two tracks on her new CD too. They have a son together....love that sort of playing.

Annoying indeed. I don't think that I should have to buy another, pricier model simply to acheive a look that was previously available on even the cheap models.

Carvin manages to CNC the hell out of everything, and avoid unsightly weirdness.

And this is not "a Jaco thing", as some have described it. For me, it is a playability thing, as having no pickguard equals more space for slapping and fingerstyle stuff. It is also an aesthetic thing.

In general, IMO, I think pickguards are superfluous on basses. A vestigial remnant from early days of design, intended to lure guitarists into buying a bass, or to make the bass player look more like the guitarist. They are usually unattractive (pickguards, not guitarists :D ), and are often outright ugly. They are often used to hide weak finish work, but some that have them allow for removal, i.e. Music Man basses. Jazz basses used to as well. And it was not that long ago...

Yet another reason to buy an older Fender, or buy something else... :D:rolleyes:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

My guitar player asked what all those little holes where I said they're the screw holes for the scratch plate (pickup guard).

"You should get those holes filled"

"Nah I love them...along with the dents and dings, it's got character."

Shame....you can't take it off.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

It's clear that Fender is making basses this way for a certain market and using their clout ("we're Fender, and you're not"). They also seem to be carrying that attitude into their customer relations. Ouch, but not such a surprise.

Carvin isn't the only CNC routing company that manages to make fine instruments. Many high level builders are now using CNC machines or (more often) outsourcing the work. They provide specs so that the machine is a tool to make a great product. The tool doesn't determine the design... We computer people have been doing this for years - the computer (the tool) doesn't run the business.

While I understand your dissatisfaction with this turn of events, it seems that perhaps there is an opportunity here. That hole could be filled in a number of unique ways. Maybe the plug is the only painted surface that remains on the body? Put a sticker over it? I mean, by removing the pickguard you are customizing the thing, right? Go for it!

(I know - as Bugs says about his home - it's just a hole).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have a beat-to-heck black MIJ Jazz w/emgs. I pulled that smudgy after market chrome pickguard off as soon as I got it home. I don't mind the gaping screw holes from the last owner(remember the chrome?)and I don't mind the dings, but it would just make me sick to see a nice jazz body with a stinkin' cnc hole. Warmoth does cnc all day long and they do not have to drill a visible hole.

Every new item I've bought from Fender, I've ditched. I like some used stuff from them, or new from someone other than Fender.

Their attitude toward their own products is just bad. I've heard they're terrible to work for too, so maybe that's why.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

just what we need, ANOTHER reason to get the luddites up in arms. at least they haven't discovered the thread yet. but then again, any luddite worth his salt(ed meat) wouldn't be caught dead around a computer...
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

What thehell does CNC stand for? JAFA= Just Another F****** Acronym. Really, what does it mean?

Never heard of CNC Routers before? :confused:

Computer Numerical Control.

Of course, it could mean any of these as well.

Archived