Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Machines

Timothy Lyons

What's the easiest, cheapest drum machine out there to use? I'm kinda attracted to the old-school Yamaha RX11 and RX15's, but are there any other drum machines out there that are similar in functionality? I'm looking for something solid and really easy to use, find on ebay and pay less than $75.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gunslinger:

Most definetely the Alesis SR16....... I bought mine for $80 on Ebay. Wouldnt trade it for anything.....even a live drummer (at home anyway). :freak:

Dumb question: easy enough for a bassist to program? :D
\m/ Timothy Lyons

Drum machine choices depend whether you want acoustic drum sounds or something more electronic.

For real drum samples, the mentioned Alesis SR16 is fine and there are probably many used ones out there. Another alternative is something from the Roland/Boss Dr Rhythm series.

For an electronic "groove box", the Korg Electribe is a good choice.

I just bought a Zoom drum machine off e-bay for about $100 (new, I think it is a model 234?). It has 396 preset patterns, and I think 96 user programmable banks.

I actually just finished a song using a pattern I programmed (a VERY simple pattern). I thought it sounded great for what it was, and it was very easy to use.

Ease of use for me is the key when I'm writing a song; I'm a bass player, and that's what I'm best at. I can sing ok, and I'm passable at guitar, but I can't play drums, and don't have the space or cash for drums, so the Zoom is working out fine to sketch my songs for my band.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I recently started using Drums On Demand (www.drumsondemand.com). It totally sounds like a live drummer and you can really piece things together to create a convincing drum track. There are nearly 900 Acidized stereo loops organized into what are called Song Sets that feature, verse, chorus, fills, bridges, etc., and many variations on each. The disk has 41 Song Sets on it (almost 700 megs). Its very well organized and the loop names make sense. They sound great and are very easy to put together. Then there are a bunch of single hits as well. Multiple snares, rims, brushes.

Ive been impressed and have been able to put together a bunch of songs with it. The mixing and effects are pretty awesome too. It all ends up sounding like a studio drummer. There are song examples and some free loops at their site.

Interesting thread. I'd like to find a web site or free program that will play a different variety of drum grooves, something like some keyboards have, where you just click a button and it pays a never ending drum track for different types of beats like rock, pop, ballad, and so on.

I wouldn't have to program anything just click and go, and have a great beat to practice with.

Got any ideas?

HypnoBassMan

The deeper you go the better you feel! (True for bass and hypnosis.)

Hypnobassman, there is a site, www.activebass.com

It's labeled as line builder.Scroll down a little and you'll see the drum track. I've never used it,so this is all the info I can give you.

Hey,forget about this site,I should have tried it first.There is no continuous drum track,you can compose a line and than add drums.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Archived