Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My amp plays the radio

sbracer

Hey everyone,

My first question is a strange one that I haven't found an answer for yet. Otherwise, all I have to do is just keep reading and learning from everybody else's posts here. This is such a great resouce for instruction and on where to find instruction!

How & why does my amp pick up and play a local radio station? It is very faint and the volume control deosn't have any effect on it.

My current "rig" is a Ibanez SW20, SR645GR and I'm using a shielded monster cable.

Thanks

-Eric

-Eric

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine used to, but I bought a better shielded cable and now it only picks up an occasional CB transmission.

You already have the Monster cable going for you... I have a 30 year old solid state head, so there's probably a short length of wire inside that isn't properly graounded or shielded.

- Matt W.

I'm guessing ground-loop (assuming you don't have an inexpensive wireless rig).

Ground is a "funny thing". I got a bad case of it when I connected my bass to both an amp and the PA, using my DigiTech "Bass Squeeze" stomp-box which has two 1/4" outputs. Eliminated problem with EbTech "Hum Eliminator" ($60).

I didn't pick-up radio (I had buzzing), but doing so is common with ground-loop problems. In a ground-loop, the "loop" acts like a "loop antenna".

My amp plays Hamlet, but only on the weekends.

:D

You've got a grounding problem and/or you're bass has severe shielding issues. It might even be your super-expensive monster cable, it's possible that you got a bad one.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's most likely the shielding (or lack there of) in the bass.

does your amp still have the signal when your cable is not plugged into the amp?

does your amp still have the signal when your bass is not plugged into the cable?

do you like the station?

if you change location of your bass in the room and direction facing, does the reception change?

if you have other equipment, do you find the same effect with different amps with different instruments?

there's a bunch of threads on this and other boards (eg, guitar forum) that talk about shielding, noise, buzz, grounding, etc) that may help, as well.

GOOD LUCK! :)

AHH!! The Young Ones!!!

That was an absolutely brilliant program. Ever see Bottom(show) or Guest House Paridiso(movie)? More collaboration between Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson.

"This calls, for a very special blend, of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvyan Bastard

"uhhh, this is the band, Radical Posture, and my name's Alexei Yuri Gagarin Seige of Stalingrad Glorious 5-year Plan Tractor Moscow Dynamo Backfour Bolowski... me dad was a bit of a communist actually" -Alexei Sayle

:D

When my band was just jamming, we wanted to make up a fun song and we started to record and as soon as we're about to play a Police officer radioing HQ was picked up on my amp "We have Visual contact with the suspect" came on, and than we started to play. I can't get the signal anymore but that song is the coolest to listen to.

In my old band our guitarists amp would pick up phone calls fomr nearby houses. Man there were some trashy people in that area. We listened to this one lady talk about how her husband never got her cheating on him, she would call the cab to go to the bar. Later in the night, about 2 hours or so, she get back home and call her friend and talk very badly about her husband. We would just sit around and listen. Kinda fun.

jreed

jreed00@dcemail.com

Ahhh, excellent quotes from the Young Ones! My favorite characters were the Boloski brothers: "Didn't you kill my brother? Well, must've been me then, well!..."

No, Bumpcity, I haven't seen the other shows, but I heard of 'em. Would you recommend them as a rental, if I can find them?

I got the avatar from:

http://www.michael.phatcatz.net/awtv/Comedy/YoungOnes/

pretty good site!

Are you comfortable taking it apart and doing your own surgery on it, or would you rather pay someone else to do it?

If you do take it apart, look for deteriorating soldered connections, oxidized/dirty jacks, a lack of a proper ground connection either on the shielded input or at the AC connection to the chassis.

Watch out for the signs of someone else having "hacked" the amp, taking short cuts and ruining the isolation of the input section.

Even on the circuit board, bad/aged/deteriorating solder connections can lead to small signal rectification, which is what permits you to pick up the signals from the radio.

If it's a tube amp, look for loose/missing tube shields and oxidized tube pins and socket connections.

If it's a tube amp, for God's sake BE CAREFUL because of the high voltages involved in the capacitors of the power supply! They can be quite lethal!

As a precaution, you can shunt the signal at the jacks with a small capacitor, something in the range of 300 to 1000 pF.

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

AHH!! The Young Ones!!!

That was an absolutely brilliant program. Ever see Bottom(show) or Guest House Paridiso(movie)? More collaboration between Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson.

"This calls, for a very special blend, of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvyan Bastard

"uhhh, this is the band, Radical Posture, and my name's Alexei Yuri Gagarin Seige of Stalingrad Glorious 5-year Plan Tractor Moscow Dynamo Backfour Bolowski... me dad was a bit of a communist actually" -Alexei Sayle

Bumpcity, have you ever heard Bad News? That very same comedy troupe had previously formed Bad News as an ultra-pathetic Spinal Tap-ish band (before that movie ever was released).

They released a record that mainly consisted of them arguing in the studio and an amazingly bad version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" that's so bloody awful it's beautiful. :D

It's so rare that you can't find it for less than $100 at Amazon.com

You can however, get the video for $15 at Rhino.com

Thanks for all the info...

It is only a Monster Standard 100 cable, maybe not as shielded as I thought. It does it with the cable plugged to the amp, but does not need the bass to be plugged in, (that's good news for me). The Amp deosn't do it by itself. I can wave the cord around and get a better signal. And yes, it is a local classic rock station, first time I heard it, I ran to the other room and tuned the dial until I found it at 99.9 FM and could hear the Jimi Hendrix song much better on my boombox! I have also gotten the occasional airplane or police radio.

Now I'm off to find some classic "The Young Ones" episodes on DVD to see what all the raving was about...

-Eric

Originally posted by sbracer:

Thanks for all the info...

It is only a Monster Standard 100 cable, maybe not as shielded as I thought. It does it with the cable plugged to the amp, but does not need the bass to be plugged in, (that's good news for me). The Amp deosn't do it by itself. I can wave the cord around and get a better signal. And yes, it is a local classic rock station, first time I heard it, I ran to the other room and tuned the dial until I found it at 99.9 FM and could hear the Jimi Hendrix song much better on my boombox! I have also gotten the occasional airplane or police radio.

Now I'm off to find some classic "The Young Ones" episodes on DVD to see what all the raving was about...

good news! although you still might find that the amp is the big problem, I hope a better shielded cable will work. please let us know how it comes out! I wish someone more knowledgeable would post...

"May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman..." -Neil

Archived