Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Hip Hop Anyone?

dohhhhh6

I'm posting this to find out about some good hip hop stuff because I want to hit EVERY single genre atleast once (to benefit my playing and style). I'm even thinking of trying some pure pop out just to see how to play it. So please guys, tell me about some good hip hop bands with one catch, the bassist (and the basslines of course!) have to be good. Thanks guys, I dunno what I'd do without you :D

BTW, I've heard some good stuff about Talib Kweli's album and the Roots' new album. Some elaboration on there stuff would be appreciated.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been digging into this style for long, but great albums I've discovered so far include:

Cypress Hill - self-titled

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

Sugarhill Gang vs Grandmaster Flash

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions to hold us back

(honourable mention to RATM - self-titled)

Alex

Check out:

A Tribe Called Quest

The Black Sheep

KRS*1

Funkdoobiest

Gangstarr

The Jungle Brothers

Special Ed

Run DMC

Schooly D

That oughta get you started.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

there's a belgian group called zap mama that makes very good hip hop. on their album "a ma zone", amir "?uestlove" thompson and black thought from the roots make guest appearances. that track has a very live, groovin' feel to it. the whole album is good, but if you want to have a lot of fun playing bass to hip hop, check that out.

also, check out res (pronounced "reese"). she has a great voice, and i think the whole album is cut with a four string bass. the first two tracks on "how i do" (her only record) are crossover tracks -- more rock than anything else. very cool stuff. and the basslines are very obviously not keyboard, but live bass guitar.

robb.

T bone. life of a gangsta. great bass lines from the mid 90's. the gospel gangsta.
you can make stumbling blocks, or stepping stones out of the same things, what have you built?

Yeah all good stuff mentioned, especially Outcast and The Roots... In addition, I got somethin special for you!

The BoogieMonsters- Riders of the Storm: The Underwater Album

It's underground circa '94, and it may be harder to find, but once you do, you'll be glad you did.

TROLL . . . ish.

BDP!!!!! anything k.r.s. one realted, digital underground, blacksheep, anything with a beat written by dr. dre or timbaland...

f**k it, just listen to as much hip hop as you can get your hands on and decide for yourself what you like.

as a clarification: the beastie boys are hip hop, RATM is not. ask anyonre involved in hip hop and they'll tell you the same thing.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Bastid E:

as a clarification: the beastie boys are hip hop, RATM is not. ask anyonre involved in hip hop and they'll tell you the same thing.

i've always described them as hip hop with punk rock instrumentation. i think tom morello said that in a magazine once. i think of them as being hip hop.

robb.

I've always described them as hip hop with punk rock instrumentation. i think tom morello said that in a magazine once. i think of them as being hip hop.
Interesting... I always thought of them as a funk-rock band featuring a rapping vocalist with hardcore leanings.

I wouldn't call them hip-hop at all.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Check out The Roots' whole catalog. If you want to hear some good hip hop licks, they're the crew to check out (especially their live album). Next, check out Outkast. The bassist they use most of the time (I think it's Preston Crump) puts it down nice.

Look into the '80's stuff, when samples were used more often. You'll find most of the strongest beats and bass lines came from old school R&B and funk. Since James Brown and P-Funk are the most sampled artists, you'll want to look into them as well.

Dig in the crates! Check out the old school music and I can almost guarantee you'll find today's bass lines come from the past (as far as hip hop goes). I kinda make it a challenge to find the original source of certain bass licks/samples in today's music. Hope this helps you out a bit. :D

Check out some compilations under "Lyricists' Lounge" -- some wicked rhymes, beats, and bass there.

CMDN and Bastid E posted some good lists.

I'm favorable to Black Star/Mos Def/Talib Kweli these days. Also Common has it going on. Definitely De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest.

Lotsa a good ol' skool and newer hip hop out there.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Check out some compilations under "Lyricists' Lounge" -- some wicked rhymes, beats, and bass there.

CMDN and Bastid E posted some good lists.

I'm favorable to Black Star/Mos Def/Talib Kweli these days. Also Common has it going on. Definitely De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest.

Lotsa a good ol' skool and newer hip hop out there.

Peace.

Great taste indeed!!
TROLL . . . ish.

• 2 years later...

I'm a big fan of Quannum records. Their stable includes Lyrics Born, Blackalicious, DJ Shadow, Pidgeon John, Lateef the Truthspeaker, among others.

They have a whole lot to offer as a crew. The music that they draw samples and influence from is broader than any other hip hop artists. Absolutely superb wordsmiths all of em'

I particurlarly reccomend Lyrics Born's Same Sh*t, Different Day album.

www.quannum.com

Never follow children, animals or Hare Krishnas!!

Don't neglect some of the stuff at the more commercial end of the spectrum. Some personal favourites: Kanye West's last two albums; OutKast's last album; Jay Z, "The Blueprint"; The Wu Tang Clan's first album, "36 Chambers"; the soundtrack to the superb Jim Jarmusch film "Ghost Dog" by Ghostface Killah; "Liquid Swords" by GZA.

i'm glad this got bumped. lately i've been listening to tons of jay-z.

the problem with wu-tang is they produced their own albums so it was kind of a learning on the fly thing. consequently while 36 chambers was amazing in terms of flow with odb and method man, et all, the production was awful. iron flag is the most recent and by far the slickest. check out y'all been warned off that album and you'll see what they can do.

speaking of, method man and redman put out blackout a few years ago and that kicks ass.

and ludacris. luda is probably one of my favorites right now.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I don't like hip-hop generally, especially from a musical standpoint, but this thread got me to throw on Outkast's "Aquemini," one of 2 hip hop cds I own. "Aquemini" has their big hit "Rosa Parks" on it, and I prefer this one to any of their other albums.

It doesn't hold up as well as when I was smoking blunts left and right back in the day, but I think it's notable cuz of all the live intrumentation on the album, which is pretty unusal in the genre. Is the music exceptional? It's aight, but it's nice to hear hip hop paired with actual music. There's a lot of nice singing too. Not your typical hip hop album that's for sure.

But man, there sure is a lot of talking in hip-hop....

I only occasionally wander into hip-hop territory so I'm happy to defer to the many people who know much more about it than I do. But FWIW, with all its flaws (& I agree the production is hit and miss and can be raw) I still prefer "36 Chambers" to "Iron Flag". "Supreme Clientele" is another great album by a Wu Tanger.

"Aquemini" I agree about. "Stankonia" is the disappointing OutKast album for me - "Miss Jackson" and "So Fresh, So Clean" are brilliant but most of the rest of that album I can live without.

Archived