Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scared about a bad blood flow to the fingers.

NickT

I've noticed that occasionally I get pins and needles in my 4th finger (pinky) and half of my ring finger (the half next to my pinky).

I don't think this is the begining of carpal tunnel sydrome as I am quite careful to keep my forearm clear of the upper body of my bass. This problem happens very occasionally when I have been playing continuously for several minutes.

Does anybody have any thoughts about this problem?

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not the symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Pain in the wrist is more a symptom of that.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is not caused by resting your forearm on the bass...it is caused by repetitive motion (typing or fretting, although perhaps plucking) with a bent wrist. We did some talking about this in a Reverend Rumblefish thread. Here\'s the link. Of course, do a search here on "wrist straight" and you'll get others.

The numbness you're experiencing is NOT bad blood flow. It is nerve related.

There is a nerve that rides in the knuckle area of the palm of your hand. You impinge this nerve when you use a hammer, do chin-ups, lift weights or ride a bicycle. Expecially overhand riding with your chest weight on your hands.

Bicycle riding is how I learned of this. After a few weeks my left hand went to sleep...for a week. My doctor explaned this to me. Told me to wear padded cycling gloves while riding, or using any gripping motion.

Are you doing anything like that?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I started getting that weird tingling a while after starting my current job - the reason was that I was using a computer continuously and resting my elbows on the edge of the desk, and this was irritating/bruising the nerve connection in my elbow and the strange sensation was being referred to the fingers. It's similar to when you bang your elbow and you get that weird 'funny-bone' feeling.

Alex

DaveBrown...not doing anything like that at all. The only time it happens is very occasionally when I am playing.

C.Alexander...I know that feeling that you are talking about and it ain't that.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I assume you're talking about your right (plucking) hand, I've had this happen to me as well. I don't know what it is either. I usually can make it go away by shifting the bass around, changing the way it's hanging on me.

I've also had my left hand go to sleep. That I can usually fix by changing where the strap rests on my left shoulder.

While we're talking about hand malfunctions... Sometimes (mostly in the winter in the NE) my left (fretting) hand will have a somewhat painful spasm and all my fingers open up. My hand will sort of jump off the neck. This has happened for 20 years or so. The first time or two it happened, I thought I was getting an electric shock because it sort of felt like that. That was not the case, however. The spasm only lasts a half second or so and my hand feels stiff for a few seconds after that and then I'm OK again, usually for the rest of the night.

There is a link in my Double Bass Links Page to an excellent Musicians and Injuries page at http://eeshop.unl.edu/music.html that addresses these and other specific problems. Great resource, I urge you to check it out.

http://www.eclecticbass.com/basslinks.jpg at http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived