Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to play with other musicians.

JLM

I bought my bass a year ago but haven't practiced much in the last eight months or so. I want to try playing at a jam night, I think it would keep my interest up.

I'm not to worried about looking bad but I don't want to be slowing the others down or disrupting their flow.

How much is expected of a new bassist at his first jam session? How much damage can I do? I understand the guys I'm thinking of getting together with were pretty rough on a new drumer a while back.

Also, is there any certain piece of music that I could study/practice before I go? I mean are there certain rock songs that "everyone" knows?

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JLM:

I bought my bass a year ago but haven't practiced much in the last eight months or so....

Also, is there any certain piece of music that I could study/practice before I go? I mean are there certain rock songs that "everyone" knows?

Thanks for any help.

First (or in conjunction), I suspect you'll have to practice some on your own. Sorry. Rhythm will be priority 1. Priority 2 will be knowing basic chords (root, 3rd, 5th, octave), and whether to use major or minor 3rd if you want to "jam", or finding the "tabs" for some common songs assuming you can read tabliture. If you've got a good sense of rhythm, you may care to just "jam" with a drummer before worrying too much about chord-changes or clever bass-lines.

As for songs, that's highly dependent on your age and the folks you hang with. In my day, "Johnie B. Goode" and "Jumping-Jack Flash" were "must haves". I doubt you're going for that "Golden Oldies" venue, though...

Originally posted by PhilMan99:

First (or in conjunction), I suspect you'll have to practice some on your own. Sorry.

Please don't apologize, I realize I need to practice more on my own. I guess I'm looking for something to motivate me, and you did point me in the direction I need to start, thanks.

Archived