Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Highs and Lows

Wally Malone

Had one of the greatest gigs yesterday. Headlined San Jose's America Festival with Lady Bo and played to over 20,000 people. We played both before and after the fireworks. Played through my GK800RB and an Accugroove 212 four-way cab. That was the high. The low part is that my GK800RB fell off the cart that they used to transport our equipment from the parking lot. Checked it today and it doesn't work. Looks like time for it to go to the shop.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry Wally, there may be no shopping. My old (and I do mean old) 800RB fell off of a speaker during rough seas. One the electricians fixed it for me for $.50 - the cost of a beer in the crew bar.

Wally concentrate on the high, the amp falling is just a small matter. Last weekn my band recorded our second E.P. It sounds (pre-mix) perfect, one week later my amp blew.

The amp will be fixed/replaced the good memory of your gig will last far longer.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Cup, not overly concerned about the GK, still have my Eden Metro that I can use. To be honest the GK was not enough amp for the Accugroove 212. I played a little further from my amp than normal, it was a large stage with the drum riser near the back of the stage. I was about 15 feet away from my cab. I want to try the 212 again sometime with more power to push it. I'm still considering going the power amp - preamp route. Still remember the sound I got when I tried the Merlin amp, but they cost quite a bit. Still want to have a head that I can use with my Tri-112 without having to carry the Metro as well.

Wally

Wally I forgot to ask you what's it like playing to such a large audience? From what I've read, most super stars claim it's easier, but I don't buy that for a second, surely it's more daunting, If you clam up, it must kill you.

Well, hopefully I'll finfd out what it's like to play to even 1000 sets of ears!

CupMcMali...this monkey's going to witnness :freak:

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

Wally I forgot to ask you what's it like playing to such a large audience?

I'm not Wally, but from my experience, if you're a sideman, it's a gig - maybe the monitors are good, maybe not. But it's a gig nontheless. Get back on the bus when it's done.

If you're part of a band, though, then it can either be really big fun (as long as you realize it's just a gig) or completely terrifying (if you think about how many people are out there and how many ways you can screw things up). Or somewhere in between.

It's kind of like playing TV shows; I've done them and only realized later that I never even noticed a camera during the show, and I've done them where I wanted to beat the cameraman with a blunt object for distracting me. But everyone's different; Wally's reaction may be completely different from mine.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

I find that the size of the crowd doesn't matter. What matters to me is how well I know the material of the group I'm playing with that gig. On the 4th of July gig it was with the band I've been gigging with for a lot of years and always feel totally comfortable. If it was with a band and it was my first gig with them I'd probably have a bit of the jitters but would get through it OK. I understand what Dave said regarding TV. The first time I was on TV was with Bo Diddley in the early seventies on the Kenny Rogers "Rollin' on the River" show. I was really nervous and after seeing myself I made sure that when my next opportunity came to be on TV I would nail it. It came in the next year, I was on the Donny & Marie Show. Smiled the whole way through and the camera panned to me a lot since I looked like I was having a great time. Have been fine since.

Wally

Wally

Hey Wally - glad the gig went well.

Let's see - you said that the GK wasn't pushing enough into the T212. And you didn't want to just go out and replace it. And you have the Metro as backup. I think I have it. You gave one of the stagehands $5 to drop the GK just so you have to replace it. Sure it might be easily fixed, but you won't "discover" that until after you buy the next amp. Then you can sell off the GK to help in this sad turn of events.

Nope - I'm not fooled. GAS all the way.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived